JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought an old machinist toolbox at a flea market. It has what appears to be Chinese markings on the front cover, and I would like to learn what they say. I am posting a photo here. I have a much larger file photo that I can email if that will help. I don't have the software or talent to enhance this photo, but it is pretty clear.

Kennedy 520 8.jpg

If you know anyone who might be able to help, send me a PM.

Thanks!

My sister, who speaks Mandarin, agrees that it is probably someone's name. Translated literally, the 3 characters (from top to bottom) mean "plum earth forest."

Edit to add: My sister thinks it looks like it was not written by a Chinese person.

Last Edited:
My sister, who speaks Mandarin, agrees that it is probably someone's name. Translated literally, the 3 characters (from top to bottom) mean "plum earth forest."

Edit to add: My sister thinks it looks like it was not written by a Chinese person.
I agree with the idea that it wasn't written by a Chinese person. We couldn't even make out the first character, but now I can see it!
1st character is "li" plum
2nd character is "tu" earth
3rd character is "lin" forest

I agree with the idea that it wasn't written by a Chinese person. We couldn't even make out the first character, but now I can see it!
1st character is "li" plum
2nd character is "tu" earth
3rd character is "lin" forest
She said she had a hard time with the first character too.

Thanks Guys!

I will be preserving the letters, no matter what I do with the rest of the box. It is a very unique touch to a common object.

There may be some real history behind the markings, but unfortunately, we will never know that story.

Thanks Guys!

I will be preserving the letters, no matter what I do with the rest of the box. It is a very unique touch to a common object.

There may be some real history behind the markings, but unfortunately, we will never know that story.
The Chinese uses a slightly different naming system which might be of interest to you. If the previous Chinese owner of that box follows the traditional way of naming, the word "Li" will be his family name, the 2nd character "Tu" indicates his generation within his clan and "Lin" will be his unique name.

In other words, his family, including his brothers and cousins, will all be named "Lin Tu" XXX in which XXX is the unique name to the individual. Females will have their own Generation word. The Generation character is typically based on the words of a poem that is written and passed down, their own ancestral home will have a original copy. The characters of that poem will show which generation the word represents. Quite an advanced feature, just in case time travel became a thing and you travel back or forward in time, your family will be able to identify you by your name. :D

Most Chinese no longer practice this though, the communist government is China has basically wiped out all ancestral worship and smashed/burned everything. Only remnants of the old Chinese ways, many which fled to Taiwan and Singapore prior to the communist take over and subsequent cultural purge remember this practice.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top