Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

can anyone help? what did I inherit?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tdepergola, Feb 3, 2014.

1. tdepergola

tdepergola st.petersburg New Member

i just acquired a new revolver from a recently passed family member. I have done searching on the web and have not been successful in finding out exactly what kind of gun it is. It has a long barrel, wooden grips, and the barrel is labled ''OFFICIAL POLICE .38 special ctg'' ,on the opposite side it is labeled ''colt's pt.fa.mfg.co conn. u.s.a. the vins are matching and are 873xxx with the number 7 printed under the serial number. The revolver holds 6 bullets and looks to be in very great condition. Almost as if it was rarely used and always kept very clean and lubed up. If someone could please help to give me some insight in what I've just inherited and what its worth in todays market that would be great!

2014-02-03 20.41.28_resized.jpg

20140202_135850_resized.jpg

2. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

looks like a d frame colt, very nice piece. Keep it, it's a collectable and a shooter. There are some disreputable folks out there who will tell you it isn't worth much, and offer you $150 for it. Just go to gunbroker and search "official police".

3. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

Brand: Colt
    Model: official police
    Caliber:38special

Does not have original grips (those are Pachmayr)

Look up serial number here for production date.......Official Police & Marshal

$450-550

Edit: DO NOT use +P ammo to be safe.

sterzenbach and (deleted member) like this.
  4. coop44

sounds about right deadeye, colt python grips will fit nicely too, grip frame is the same and internals interchange

5. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

I should know I have one......:p

6. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

St. Petersburg Idaho? you ain't from 'round here, are you. odd

7. tdepergola

Thanks for the info. From the serial it looks to be made in 1960. so my asking price should be 450-550? Im defiantly looking to sell it. My wife wont let me keep it in our home and as much as I would love to the wife unfortunately its easier to just follow her rules lol. also is there any decent sights to get more of a history on this particular gun? I dot want to be the seller that tries to sell something i know almost nothing about than get talked down on the value... Thanks for all your help!

8. tdepergola

Im from the tampa florida area, not sure why googling this gun your guys forum popped up but it was the first choice, I honestly dont know much about the gun world and just went with the first choice.

9. coop44

don't tell, get a safe deposit box, you never know, Zimmerman may move in next door

10. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Not to be blunt but all you need to know to sell it is what its worth and your local and federal gun laws dealing with selling a handgun.

if you sell it to a dealer you will be very lucky to get 2/3's its retail value. They need to make money on it after some buyer tries to beat them down on price.

A private sale is the best option to see the most return. Its also the biggest PITA

11. Classic

Classic Federal Way WA Well-Known Member

I totally agree! They opened a 1/2 way sex offender house within a stones throw from mine. I now have a BEEEPload of guns and my wife knows how to shoot. They make safes that require your fingerprints and then there are the combo version. Family 1st!!! keep them safe
    Keep it!

12. tdepergola

Would you agree that the value is somewhere between $450 and $550?

13. coop44

you could take it to a few dealers see what they offer, and double it for a private party sale. You can always come down a bit.
    Find a local forum like this one and put it up for sale.
    Stay away from pawn shops, they are the bigest predators out there.