JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I realize this is the FIREARMS legal section but gun owners usually have a handle on the knife laws as well. Mods, please move or delete this if you feel it's necessary.

Questions...and/or please feel free to redirect me if there is a good source for this info:

Is it legal to carry a fixed blade knife in the state of Washington? If so, does it need to be visible or can it be concealed...like on your belt under your shirt?

Are there any limitations on blade lengths?

Do any cities have restrictions? Like you can carry a fixed blade knife everywhere except Seattle (just an example)

I am assuming that auto knives are illegal in Washington?

I guess I should ask if there are any restrictions on folders?

Thanks guys!

I had answers 30 seconds after reading this by doing a simple internet search. You need to start working on finding answers not asking others to do your work for you.
There are several variables you did not provide in order to get a qualified answer.

I had answers 30 seconds after reading this by doing a simple internet search. You need to start working on finding answers not asking others to do your work for you.
There are several variables you did not provide in order to get a qualified answer.

But if I did that, then I wouldn't have the joy of pissing you off. :D

One of the main reasons I asked is because when it comes to knives there can be local/city ordinances and there usually isn't a central repository that captures all the variations.

But honestly man, nobody is putting a gun to your head, forcing you to respond. If my post is so problematic and aggravating for you, all you have to do is ignore the post and go on with your life. In fact, you should probably add me to your "ignore list" so you won't be traumatized by any of my postings ever again.

Have nice evening sir.

I am not a lawyer and we all should know about the dangers of taking legal advice over the internet.

last time I checked auto knives were illegal in Washington state.
And as you noted L84Cabo , many local and city ordinances can and will vary.
It behooves you to do as you are doing and checking with all sources to be aware of what is what.
In Bellingham , the largest town near me , it boils down to the officers discretion.
Which may or may not work in your favor at any given time.

When not teaching at school , I often carry a fixed bladed knife.
It is a smaller knife with a blade length of around 3 inches.
That being said I am guilty of not checking into the laws or various ordinances very often.
But as I have yet to run into trouble , I do not worry to much about it.
So my post does run the risk of being a "Do as I say , not as I do" posting ... LOL
Andy

Knife laws will also vary from town to town & perhaps county to county.

Don't rely solely on state rules. As far as I know, there is no preemption regarding knife regulations.

If I drive south 3 miles then a fixed blade is illegal (any length) unless it is in a tool box, hunting bag etc AND you are on the way there or back.

Where I live fixed blades are ok (dang, I want to say 5" max but I carry a 3" so never look into it) but you can not conceal them.

City trumps county law.
County trumps State.
Because of the above, State law is almost irrelevant.

There is an interactive website that has the break down on what is legal where in each state but I can't remember the name - should come up as the first few sites in a knife law search.

Personally, I have a 3" folding Kershaw that is an "assisted opener" so it's legal and I haven't found a town that restricts that length to less then 3" so I figure I just stick with one knife when I leave the house.

Sort of funny story, my wife was very confused when the fixed blade 3" knife she got me kept getting taken off my neck and replaced with that old folder. I told her about the why's and she about had a melt down about how I could carry a gun anywhere I wanted but not a knife because it's a fixed blade and not a folder.

Funny thing to me is once open, my folder and fixed blade are identical in length, width etc.

You will have to provide your city/s and county's if you want a specific answer.

But if I did that, then I wouldn't have the joy of pissing you off. :D

One of the main reasons I asked is because when it comes to knives there can be local/city ordinances and there usually isn't a central repository that captures all the variations.

Have nice evening sir.

You'll do well here newbie! How about a group hug?

All you had to do was back click and go away. No need to be that way,answer his question or shut up,amiright?
So there is no pre-emptive clause for knoves. Any city can make their own rules. But mostly you can carry a 3.5 inch? most anywhere, in your pocket out of sight. Some cities have length restrictions,some dont.
A fixed blade knife must be visible, you can nor cover it with a shirt or coat.
So I can piss a few off,I refuse to link a citation :eek:
:D
Mostly,don't do stupid stuff with your knife and nobody will GAF;)

NOOOOO!

People keep switching thier avatars and I have a hard time with some names so all of y'all quit that carp out!!!!:confused::eek:
Ha!! You said carp:p:p:p:p:p:p
20 years from now it will be "Carp, its whats for dinner"
Speaking of fish. Is pakin a filet knife around legal?

The length of a folder is the 'easy' part of the equation. The 'hard' part of this equation is what exactly constitutes 'concealed carry'. All of those laws regarding folding knife length are specific to concealed carry. So what does concealed carry mean? If you're carrying your folding knife clipped to the inside of your pocket with the top part of the knife visible to external view, is that concealed? Unfortunately this is a grey area; only the judge can say. I have yet to see any definitive definition in any state that indicates without ambiguity if a pocket clipped folding knife is 'concealed' or 'not concealed'. This ambiguity, just like much gun law, seems to be exactly what the government intends. They want us to be confused and scared. And whatever you do, don't ask a cop if something is legal or not. Cops aren't judges or layers.

-Thirtycal

Maybe we should all just face the fact that everything is illegal and go from there?

With the myriad of laws that is now approaching 100,000+ research has shown me that at anytime most people are breaking at least 3.

Seriously, everyone on this board should watch this video and then consider how to live their lives:

All of those laws regarding folding knife length are specific to concealed ca

That is not true as I understand it.

You can not clip a 5" folder to the outside of your pocket and still be legal in Vancouver City.

ANY folding knife over 3.00" is illegal regardless of where it is carried in the city limits.

I believe the 3asy part is the concealed/not concealed part.
Having a folder in your pocket is not a concealed weapon. They way you get in trouble is pulling out a huge folder in front of the wrong cop in the wrong town.
Back in P.A. or Sequim, not a problem. Seattle or ,I guess Vancouver, then there is a problem.
Fixed blades are considered concealed weapons when they are under your shirt or coat. Don't believe fixed blades are in Wa
If I wasn't on the phone still,I would find the legislation

Group Hug??

What the Hell happened to this testosterone fueled bunch of manly types?!?!

Guess I better go in and shave before I post again!

Probably should pour out the Rose' wine & get a bourbon. After I shave, of course!

You boys have a good Friday night, ya hear?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top