JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just recently got another AR, and used a complete m4e1 upper from aero precision. When I attached it to the lower I built I noticed there was some oil around the barrel by the gas block. I thought that was kind of strange that it was so isolated and just in that one particular area. I didn't pay it too much attention but decided to wipe it down so I would notice if it reappeared. I took it to the range about a week ago and noticed more oil in that same area around the gas block. The gun functioned flawlessly for 160 round break-in. Took my rifle home and cleaned and lubed it as usual and made sure to wipe down the oil on barrel behind the gas block again. I left the rifle in safe for a week, just took out to inspect and noticed oil once again on barrel just before the gas block. I attached 2 photos for reference. Is this typical? I never noticed this with any of my other AR's and haven't really been able to find any info online. Any information/advice would be greatly appreciated! I realize yes my rifle functioned fine but I sure would like to have everything how its supposed to be regardless of simply functioning without error. Thanks in advance

unnamed (2).jpg unnamed (3).jpg

when i assemble ARs i use quite a bit of oil between the gas block and barrel. mostly to prevent me having to force or tap the gas block on and potentially causing a burr or scratch on the barrel. i dont think what you are experiencing is a big deal.

It's ok, nothing to worry about. It's just barrel lube....make sure you're using enough. The right amount has been said to increase velocity in a 16" carbine length barrel by at least 75fps. :D:p

we are just funnin with you booboo, your gun is fine. It will eventually burn off, so do not be worried about it. I personally do not use all that much lube to get the gas block on, but I am not selling guns to the public, so I really don't have anything to lose. I do use generous amounts putting certain parts on, but they always end up going away, and having to re-lube certain parts is pretty common.
Welcome to the forum, and enjoy our fun and games.

I appreciate that everybody, and I can always take a joke ;)! The info is much appreciated
Just in case, dont have excessive oil inside the barrel. You should run a dry cloth patch after cleaning. Oil is non-compressible and just like in hydraulics, a bullet pushing too much oil out of the way can expand your barrel.

Oh ok, I always have but that's interesting. I figured it wasn't a good idea to leave excess oil in the barrel but never knew it could actually expand the barrel. I just figured it would burn the oil into the metal, kind of liked burnt oil in a cooking pan. Thanks for the info though, learning something new all the time. And thanks again to everyone for the welcoming.

Is that the little red light inside that thing that's on top of my gun because that little red light is on . On my gun mmmmmm I'll keep looking

Something else to consider.

When you clean the barrel on a 30 Carbine. You Turn the gun upside down to keep excess cleaning solvents and oil from collecting in the gas piston area.

And when cleaning an AR you keep it sights up. To keep excess oil and solvents from collecting in the gas tube. ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top