JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
0000 grade steel wool and oil to remove the rust, keep it oiled and maybe find a new holster?

What I have done is the steel wool also. But I break down the weapon, steel wool all the rust off. Then I put all the pieces in the oven at only 125 degrees. Leave them for about a half an hour. Then I take them out and spray them with WD-40 and watch the steam. When you heat up the metal. It open the pours of the metal and when you spray a lubricant on the metal. The oils sinks into the pours of the metal. I have done this a few times and it seems to stop the surface rust. I did that to my MAC-10 many years ago and have had no rust since.

Oh, please. It is not the manufacturer's fault you stored it wrong and got surface rust. They are not going to replace a gun for surface rust. No warranty covers that.

I had Taurus replace a .357 revolver that got infected with surface rust, it was just a few months old...

It was replaced, no questions asked... Even thought it was clearly my fault...

But that was back in the 90's, I'm sure things are different today...

"The second day I owned it started pitting"
Family member had bought a PT911 about 2 weeks prior and was ready to proudly show it to me. Had not fired it, stored in the house in original box.

He was horrified opening box, as it was totally flash-rusted over entire frame & slide. Took it to my old gunsmith well versed in such issues after 40 years in the business. His inspection revealed extensive pits as well as rust blossoms and speckles.

Call to mfg, basically got the indifferent brush off & 'ship it back-maybe we'll get to it in the next 6 months' routine. 'No, we won't pay for the shipping or issue recall tag' etc.

Over course of 6 months, after complete break down, stripping, reblue job (with pits still evident) and 8 (EIGHT!!!) range trips, stuff finally quit falling off the pistol (notably ambi safety refused to stay assembled) & it started being almost reliable....while remaining predictably inaccurate. 'Minute of cantaloupe' at bench rested 35' is not acceptable.

Gun was finally traded off to gleeful dealer anxious to trade on another pistol.

Worst. Gun. Ever. new from purchase.

Given what we went through on obviously sub standard material, and now having gained from the experience, I would step away from such POS any time it happens.

This seems like one of those moments IMHO. Good luck.

When I worked at Kimber of Oregon we used castings in large quantities. We were always having problems with porosity! Start to polish a part and buff right down into pockets of bubbles. It was a real problem at times, entire runs of receivers, for instance, rejected! I'll give Kimber some credit for careful inspection, but not every outfit is so quality conscience!

Don't feel bad.
I have acid sweet. And can rust a glock. :D

This is a t-shirt I had on when I carried a Ruger LCP.

DSCN2956.JPG

thought i heard it said somewhere in one of these forums that when you chew on eugenites and spit the bones your sweat gets that way. you must be certain to eat the bones also because the calcium helps to neutralize the acid.

n yep cerakote

Seen this before, some guys are just toxic. I would recommend a satin hard chrome finish, absolutely the most durable finish I ever used. Of course it isn't cheap. My second choice would be phosphate coating as a primer and your choice of epoxy paint (bleach).

After some more consideration, wth, rust blue it. Wait until there is a fine coating of surface rust, disassemble and boil the rusted parts until they turn black(ish) card the surface with 4/0 steel wool. Reassemble and repeat. People pay big bucks for rust blurring.

When life gives ya lemons make lemonade.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top