Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Can anyone find a UPS store that will ship a firearm?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Wenis, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Wenis

Wenis Tri-Cities, WA Member

I bought a brand new Ruger Mark III two weeks ago and the first time I took it out the trigger bar would not reset after the first round fired. Called Ruger, they said to send it in and emailed me a prepaid label through UPS. I go to a UPS Store and they say, no, we're a franchise and we don't ship firearms, find another UPS. So I go to the UPS where I've shipped 500 rounds of ammo before and the two behind the counter have no idea what their policy is. One calls her manager at home, they talk, then hangs up and she says no, we won't ship firearms or ammo. I told her that this very same UPS Store shipped my 500 rounds of ammo three months ago and didn't have an issue with it, I even signed a waiver, so why won't you ship this piece of metal that's unloaded with no magazine. I was very polite the entire time. I say, don't you think it's a little odd that Ruger prepaid for UPS shipping, and I'm shipping a Ruger box to Ruger, and you say that it's UPS' policy to not ship firearms? (I'm just being upfront about the package contents).

She calls her manager back up, tells her that I'm adamant about their store's policy (which the staff clearly doesn't know). She says they'll take it but won't guarantee shipping, that it might get shipped back to me and never make it to Ruger. I did thank her a few times for dealing with me and about the confusion.

Has anyone else had this problem with UPS shipping a gun for repair?

2. Mr.510

Mr.510 Belfair Washington Member

I don't think UPS Stores can handle firearm shipments, they have to go to a UPS Service Center or whatever they call their big installations where they sort stuff. I've read way too many horror stories on gunboards about UPS so I always use FedEx.

3. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Regular old Post Office ships them, just declare it and it has to go to a FFL. And you have to take the firing pin out.

Cost not too bad.

4. PDXGS

PDXGS Aloha... yes, Aloha, Oregon Member

Yeah , they're kind of lame...It's been my understanding the even with a prepaid UPS label that you have to take the gun to a UPS service center staffed by UPS personel rather than a UPS store. The same rules apply to FedEx locations-it has to be a main service center...not a Kinkos. FedEx also requires that you sent the firearm via Priority Overnight if a call-tag wasn't issued.

5. jdub75

jdub75 PNW Well-Known Member

I shipped a revolver a few months back via the ups store, no probs. Young guy b/h the counter didn't bat an eye when I declared the contents.
    This was in Salem.

6. timbernet

timbernet Boring, Oregon Member

Ruger gave me a pre-paid label for my LCP (when I sent it in for repairs) -- since my box was all sealed with a pre-paid label they never asked me what was inside. Just dropped it on the counter and left... got there just fine.

7. Wenis

Apparently the Customer Service Center only accepts packages between 2:30pm-5:00pm. And since I work 8am-6pm, that wasn't going to work. I did look up on UPS' website and they do not ship firearms through the UPS Stores, so more than likely, it'll get shipped right back to me and I'll have to go through this crap again.:banghead:

8. timbernet

timbernet Boring, Oregon Member

Can you schedule a pickup at your office?

9. torpedoman

torpedoman land of corrupt politicians Member

i just take then to the local office in deerpark wash. no problems

10. Wenis

we have a no weapons law... grounds for termination.

11. BooKilla

BooKilla Portland, OR Member

Don't tell them what it is if you really want to use UPS.

I ship firearms all the time (three last month) and always use USPS. They are the cheapest (flat rate boxes) and I never have any problem. They ask me if the contents are flammable and/or hazardess and I say no. Thats it.

12. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

When Springfield sent me a prepaid label to ship my 1911 back for repair I mailed it out of one of their retail locations. There was insurance on the label so I didn't tell them what it was, just took the box out to my truck and sealed it up then brought it back.

When I went to pick it up (missed the delivery and I didn't want to wait until Monday to pick it up) at the FedEx hub in Tualatin the woman couldn't find the package and asked me who sent it. I told her and she tried to tell me that it was not only against company policy but also illegal to ship firearms through FedEx. I politely explained the laws, which she didn't believe, then asked her why Springfield would have an account with FedEx if they didn't allow firearm shipments, which she couldn't answer. I insisted she check with corporate as well as study the law, so as to not give others bad information and hopefully save them an argument with a decidedly anti-gun employee.

13. torpedoman

Until today, went to ship a long gun and got the run around about going to the main depot, I told her that it was a totally legal transaction and if u.p.s. is going to give me a hassle i'll use the post office, suprise it was o.k. then. after i explained that the post office really does ship guns as long as it is not a hand gun.

14. torpedoman

New Thought anyone here got deep pockets or know a lawyer who would file suit for interfearing with interstate commerce agains ups and fedex?? Make it a class action on behalf of all gun owners and the lawyer can make millions.

15. doubleactiononly

doubleactiononly Seattle Member

UPS and Fedex are private companies. No one is required to use them, so I don't see how they could be interfering with interstate commerce.

Regarding the original post, UPS stores are not actually owned by UPS. Federal law requires that the package handler maintain possession from when the shipper hands it to them, to when it gets delivered (and signed for) at the other end. Not sure if the pickup option is viable.. This seems to be a gray area. I guess one thing you could try is see if you can drop the gun off at an FFL, and have UPS pick it up from there

It's too bad they couldn't give you a Fedex label. Those Fedex/Kinkos stores are owned by Fedex, and you can ship handguns from there.

16. ruger45blackhawk

ruger45blackhawk milwaukie Active Member

Why not asked the Gun Store you bought it from to help out?

17. Weathermaker

Weathermaker Washington Member

Hmmm. I sent a fairly new 327 Mag back to Charter Arms a few months ago. My local "mail mall" had no problem with it. Cant' remember though whether it was UPS or FedEx.

18. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Ditto!

19. Bajablast

Bajablast Hillsboro, OR Active Member

I just sent a .45 back to Taurus via UPS. I packed it in a generic box, and dropped it in a UPS box. It got there no problem.

You can also hand it to any UPS delivery driver if you have your own account.( I do have my own account).

The local Portland Hub on Swan Island is open 8 am --7 pm, and the Tualatin Hub is open 930am--600pm both are Moneay -Friday only.

The UPS stores are franchised, and I guess they don't want the liability.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

20. rodell

rodell Newcastle, WA Active Member

I now use FEDEX exclusively. They never have a problem with it, and, the transaction is quick and easy.

Bob