JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Recently received a 30-06 model 700 bdl with only seven rounds through it. Problem is I have a .270 that is kind of my go to, and the 30-06 is pretty much in the same slot as far as I am concerned. Both calibers are great and have their attributes, but too close together to have separate uses.

It was a gift, so I would feel bad selling it, but then it occurred to me that I could re-barrel it to a knew caliber which would make this gun fill a category that I don't have. Thinking long range with knock down power. The .270 gets me out there to about 400 yards, that's what I am comfortable taking a shot at with that round. No doubt the gun will hit the target further out, but reduced power makes for long hikes tracking, and unnecessary suffering for the animal (my opinion).

Anyway, was thinking, if this could be set up to fire the .300 RUM then I have something completely different from my .270 and technically have kept the gun I was given.

Couple questions regarding this:
1. Agree with the caliber? Any other suggestions?
2. Is it worth the cost, or should I just sell it and buy a gun in a different caliber?
3. Am I just being an bubblegum, and should just keep this thing as a safe queen, maybe give it to my son ten years from now as his first deer/elk gun.
4. Any other thoughts you have.

Thanks guys.

Seven rounds?
It's always good to have a backup gun for a loaner or if the .270 breaks. I'd probably just leave it alone and keep it as is.

If it has sentimental meaning or you have a surplus of money, by all means, keep it for your son or build it to something else. The long action with the standard bolt face works well for any number of very good cartridges. A lot of people like to run .308 family of cartridges on the long action for the ability to use longer bullets and seat them out further in the case. The .260 comes to mind.

If you can get over the sentimental meaning and really want a .300 rum, it's a good bit cheaper to just sell it and buy a rum. By the time you swap out barrel, bolt, mag box, etc. there isn't any savings. Usually the opposite.

You will be into a new barrel and bolt probably a grand or more. I would put it away and buy a 300 rum if that's what I desired. Personally If I had my "normal" hunting rifle duties shored up and wanted a dedicated Thor's hammer category rifle I'd go to something in .338 caliber. Might as well take a big step in ballistic superiority IMO. 338-378 Weatherby would be my number one choice followed by 338 RUM .

If it has sentimental meaning or you have a surplus of money, by all means, keep it for your son or build it to something else. The long action with the standard bolt face works well for any number of very good cartridges. A lot of people like to run .308 family of cartridges on the long action for the ability to use longer bullets and seat them out further in the case. The .260 comes to mind.

If you can get over the sentimental meaning and really want a .300 rum, it's a good bit cheaper to just sell it and buy a rum. By the time you swap out barrel, bolt, mag box, etc. there isn't any savings. Usually the opposite.
Thanks, That's what I really needed to know.

Couple questions regarding this:
1. Agree with the caliber? Any other suggestions?
2. Is it worth the cost, or should I just sell it and buy a gun in a different caliber?
3. Am I just being an bubblegum, and should just keep this thing as a safe queen, maybe give it to my son ten years from now as his first deer/elk gun.
4. Any other thoughts you have.
#1 You can load an '06 nearly as hot as a 300WM
#2 No, and keep it
#3 Yes
#4 The '06 is an excellent all round caliber, making it a magnum would ruin it, just look at all the used magnums on the Mkt, PPL can't afford to shoot them and the recoil is not worth the bother

It's fairly involved to rework the 06 to a Ultra Magnum based cartridge. I have had Benchmark barrels rework several standard bolt face Rem700 long actions for me. One being a .450 Ultra Magnum (.375 Ultra necked up to .458) and the other a .338 Edge.

The bolt face needs opened, the feed rails need slightly opened to feed the larger Ultra case smoothly and dependably. The mag box and follower need replaced. Along with the new barrel and smith work. Threading , chambering, crowning etc. your looking at a easy $800-$1000 plus if you run a premium barrel. If semi custom is what your looking for, go for it. You could always trade or sell the 06 and pick up a factory rifle in .300 Ultra. The Remington SPS synthetic start at $550.00 or so and the money saved over the custom barrel route is plenty for optics, ammo or reloading componants.

Minimal mods for 308 + 243, I would go 30/06 ackley improved, not quite magnum, but a significant improvement over the '06, hardly any mods at all. 3000 fps with a 150 grain bullet, not bad.

Last Edited:
obviously I need to do some research on the 30-06 AI. Very curious. Really looking to put this gun in another category from my .270, or just keep it as a back up. Thank you all for your opinions. You've brought up several paths I had not even considered.

Have the bolt face opened, pick up a used magnum follower and simply have a gunsmith run a .300 Win Mag reamer into your current 06 chamber and you then have a rifle chambered in my favorite across the course NorthWest stomp it all cartridge.o_O
Depending on my mood, I'm awful fond of the .375 H&H chambering.

There is an argument to be made for the 300WM, as the ballistics are very similar to the .270, but hits harder when it gets there. No need to remember different holdovers etc.

But, a .338-06 or .35 Whelen, or 9.3x62 would give quite a bit more thump, at ranges inside of 300yds. The .338-06 can reach a little farther than the either of the others with handloads though.
All 3 are near ideal for west side elk in the PNW, and none would require a bolt change.

My choice would be the .338-06, and I've been a .270 shooter since the '70s.

I was thinking 30/06AI it would be the cheapest mod available and you'd still be able to shoot standard 30/06.

The 30-06 Ackley Improved is something I've been pondering for quite a while.

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/anyone-ever-play-with-a-30-06-ackley-improved.75739/

Now I've taken the plunge and am going to do it. Can't wait to get it done, fireform some cases and see what I can get out of it.

I'll let ya know...

(Not sure what a 39-06 is...o_O)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads