JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I speculate that there may be different conditions depending on whether the convicted felon has a 'firearm' prohibition, or a 'weapon' prohibition. I've know of people who have a 'weapon' prohibition who cannot use anything that has a trigger, even a bow release mechanism. I'm not sure of any of this, other than I remember someone saying that couldn't have any device with a trigger due to felony conviction. It's worth looking into the details of the person's post-prison conditions or parole conditions, etc.

The felon in question is my older brother. He was convicted of manslaughter in 1979. He got out in 1985, completed his parole without incident, and had no other serious offenses. I guess getting him to sit down with a lawyer is the best bet.

I believe that after 14 years, a felon can apply for 'relief' from a firearm prohibition. I think it's not a well honored practice, meaning it may have some backdoor barriers such as no public funding for the legal costs, or something. I think barring certain violent felonies or domestic violence convictions, it's plausible to get one's rights back. Definitely consult a lawyer.

Check out the bottom right corner on page 29 of the Oregon Big Game Regulations book.

I do not endorse, support or propose using such a service. This was from a casual observation while reading bear regulations.

Last Edited:
In Oregon, when you first get a hunting license, they use your driver's license to establish residency, etc (not the only method, but the quickest/most common I believe). Whatever is on your driver's license, ssn, etc., I'm sure can be cross referenced with your hunting license. I just looked at my hunting license, and it outright lists my driver's license number, so it is referenced some 15 years later (in my case) after my first license in Oregon.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top