JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
SO I went to the hot springs the other day.There was some nice folk up there.The couple had just bought a 4X4 ford van (25k for a 90's camper van?)
I see they have a water/bug sprayer sitting there
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Longray-1-Gal-Stainless-Steel-Sprayer-SP4A/205853222
They get out and spay themselves down,got a little warm in the pool.
He had taken the plastic suction tube out and replaced it with copper,so he could heat water in it for showers!!!?? Yeah. Then he replaced the wand sprayer with a kitchen sink sprayer
What a genius:confused:! Worked pretty darn good and carries a gallon of water
Just thought I would share that with all y'all

That is a pretty cool idea. I am all for maximum versatility and I can imagine quite a few scenarios where being able to heat a larger quantity of water all at once would be helpful.

That is a pretty cool idea. I am all for maximum versatility and I can imagine quite a few scenarios where being able to heat a larger quantity of water all at once would be helpful.
If larger quantity of hot water sans sprayer is all you want here is a method that keeps a large hunting camp in all the hot water needed.
Essentially you are perking the water like a coffee pot:
Install a compression fitting an inch from the bottom and three inches from the top on the same side of a 5 gallon can with lid. Use copper (or stainless if you can work it) tubing which will connect to the bottom fitting, form several loops on a reasonable flat plane on the bottom with the other end going back the the can, up to the other fitting. Set the can next to your fire pit with the coils in the pit. fill with water then build your camp fire over the coils and in no time you will have nearly boiling water as long as you keep the coils hot. Just don't let the can go dry or you will burn up the copper coil.
Construct the assembly so when removed from the can it will fit inside for storage. the can will eventually get sooty so you can apply dish soap to the out side and the soot will wash right off same for your cooking pans if you cook over fire. Easier yet is to go to your local coffee roaster and get a burlap bag to store your now dirty can in.
As an aside, depending on your camp fire size; 1/4 inch tubing requires less fire to operate it than 3/8 inch tubing. Lid is for keeping the crackling fire flavor buds out and the heat in. A large ladle hanging on the cool side of the can makes for handy dipping. img188.jpg

If larger quantity of hot water sans sprayer is all you want here is a method that keeps a large hunting camp in all the hot water needed.
Essentially you are perking the water like a coffee pot:
Install a compression fitting an inch from the bottom and three inches from the top on the same side of a 5 gallon can with lid. Use copper (or stainless if you can work it) tubing which will connect to the bottom fitting, form several loops on a reasonable flat plane on the bottom with the other end going back the the can, up to the other fitting. Set the can next to your fire pit with the coils in the pit. fill with water then build your camp fire over the coils and in no time you will have nearly boiling water as long as you keep the coils hot. Just don't let the can go dry or you will burn up the copper coil.
Construct the assembly so when removed from the can it will fit inside for storage. the can will eventually get sooty so you can apply dish soap to the out side and the soot will wash right off same for your cooking pans if you cook over fire. Easier yet is to go to your local coffee roaster and get a burlap bag to store your now dirty can in.
As an aside, depending on your camp fire size; 1/4 inch tubing requires less fire to operate it than 3/8 inch tubing. Lid is for keeping the crackling fire flavor buds out and the heat in. A large ladle hanging on the cool side of the can makes for handy dipping.View attachment 248745

Are you talking a plastic or metal 5-gallon bucket?

Well if it was for fixen to make moon shine I'd be pissed.:cool:
Hey I threw out an idea and we got some other ideas going. I'm still thinking the sprayer is a better option if you are traveling . Except the cost of the tank
If I was camping in one place for a week,the copper tubing idea is great. But I would use larger tubing.It will eventually heat and when it does it will be a larger volume heating.
Then you can elevate the 5 gallon bucket,or and old smaller water heater tank and the hot water should circulate fairly well.Hook up the shower nozzle!
May need a bucket of cold water next to the hot one in case the hot gets too hot
Hunting last year,my plumber friend tried just the coils in the fire.He hooked it to a hose to et to the shower i the RV. Worked OK but had too much distance the travel to keep the water got.
If his brother (who is on here,lurking) wasn't a wimp,he would have taken the shower outside,lol

I bought one of those cheap 2 gallon garden sprayers and labeled it 'water only' for the purpose of a shower and cleaning after bathroom visits during a apocalyptic episode. Cuts back on t.p. use.:D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top