JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone in the Portland area know of any good spots to target shoot and camp at?? I know there are lots of places to camp around here, but I want to make sure where I go its okay to shoot as well. I'm looking for a place that may also be close to a lake or river too. I have a couple friends that want to do a weekend getaway that involves camping, shooting, and swimming. Trying to look for a spot that can accommodate all. Any help and info is much appreciated!

Check out Dougan Creek campground on the Washougal river in Washington. It can get pretty packed on the weekends but there is some nice swimming spots, a campground, and some pretty good spots to shoot in the Yacolt Burn state forest nearby.

Please check out the rules for shooting on public lands if you aren't already familiar with them: Trash No Land Shooting Rules

This time of year (fire season) a shovel and a gallon of water, or a fire extinguisher are required when target shooting in the woods. Good luck, be safe, and have fun!!

Does anyone in the Portland area know of any good spots to target shoot and camp at?? I know there are lots of places to camp around here, but I want to make sure where I go its okay to shoot as well. I'm looking for a place that may also be close to a lake or river too. I have a couple friends that want to do a weekend getaway that involves camping, shooting, and swimming. Trying to look for a spot that can accommodate all. Any help and info is much appreciated!

122nd & Division last time I went by I heared gunshots and there were tents around.

Anywhere in portland is a good place to camp apparently, and people seem to like shooting around town this time of year too

122nd & Division last time I went by I heared gunshots and there were tents around.
Winners, winners chicken diners!

@pat7young

Please, PLEASE, check info in state or federal forest for fire danger at this time. PLEASE! IF you do find an open place to shoot in the forest have some water and a shovel with you. I believe that is the law at this point in The Tillamook. Google up Beaver dam pit, in the Tillamook Forest.. That is a place to shoot that may be open because it's a huge rock pit. There are other places in The Tillamook to shoot, but may be a bad idea because of fire danger. there are numerous places to camp in the area also. Swimming? Eh, not so much.

Fire danger is a real serious thing out there now, in case you missed it the first time. :D

Edit: I just realized the above sounds kind of condescending. I would like to apologize if I came across like that. The fire danger remains though.

Last Edited:
Check out Dougan Creek campground on the Washougal river in Washington. It can get pretty packed on the weekends but there is some nice swimming spots, a campground, and some pretty good spots to shoot in the Yacolt Burn state forest nearby.

Please check out the rules for shooting on public lands if you aren't already familiar with them: Trash No Land Shooting Rules

This time of year (fire season) a shovel and a gallon of water, or a fire extinguisher are required when target shooting in the woods. Good luck, be safe, and have fun!!

Hey thanks for the Info! It's much appreciated. I looked up Dougan Creek and it's really fantastic for what I'm looking for. As far as Yacolt Burn State Forest goes, do you happen to know about how far it is from Dougan Creek and if there are a good amount of spots to shoot at?

I personally think it's getting a bit dry and crispy to shoot in the woods. I live in the woods and I stopped shooting about 2 or 3 weeks ago. JMO.

That's why I suggested the Beaver Dam pit. There's nothing near it to catch fire. However, some of the other decent short range places in The Tillamook to shoot handguns would be a terrible idea now.

Hey thanks for the Info! It's much appreciated. I looked up Dougan Creek and it's really fantastic for what I'm looking for. As far as Yacolt Burn State Forest goes, do you happen to know about how far it is from Dougan Creek and if there are a good amount of spots to shoot at?
You dont have to go to far west of there and your on weyerhaeuser land. Its probably gated but something to keep in mind.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top