Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Campaign contribution information

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by hollowbase, Apr 27, 2015.

1. hollowbase

hollowbase Oregon Member

Where do you go to find out what your representative received for contributions in the last election? I did some searching but didn't find out what I was looking for.

2. OLDNEWBIE

OLDNEWBIE State of Flux Well-Known Member

http://ballotpedia.org/Ginny_Burdick

Burdick won re-election to the Oregon State Senate in 2012. During that election cycle, Burdick raised a total of $91,689.
    [hide]Oregon State Senate 2012 election - Campaign Contributions
    Top contributors to Ginny Burdick's campaign in 2012

Knight, Philip H. $5,000
    AT&T $4,250
    Oregon Soft Drink Association $4,000
    Nike $4,000
    Oregon Medical Association $4,000
    Total Raised in 2012 $91,689
    Source: Follow the Money

Here's a site to get you started.

3. OLDNEWBIE

OLDNEWBIE State of Flux Well-Known Member

http://portlandtribune.com/pt/9-new...restle-with-campaign-contribution-legislation

Unlimited contributions

Jim Moore, a political science professor and director of the Tom McCall Center for Policy Innovation at Pacific University, said he does not expect contribution limits will gain much momentum this session, despite the influx of money into some races last fall.

“A lot of conservative money did come in, but not as much as the Bloomberg and Steyer money,” Moore said, referring to billionaires Michael Bloomberg and Tom Steyer. Bloomberg and Steyer funneled money to state Sen. Chuck Riley, D-Hillsboro, and other Oregon candidates in high-profile races last fall, through groups that work on gun control and environmental issues.

Nonetheless, Moore said the unlimited contributions in state elections does not seem like a problem to many Oregonians.

“And if the public thinks about it, they’re thinking of federal elections, not state elections,” Moore said.

Hillary Borrud is a reporter with the Pamplin Media Group/EO Media Group Capital Bureau in Salem.

4. diagoras

diagoras Prozanskistan Member

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this thread. I JUST got done coming up with a detailed explanation fof how to do that, and was wondering whether to start a thread. Detailed instructions follow; if they don't work for any reason please explain the exact problem and I'll try to finger it out.

This is complicated and you can't do it with one of those stupid "Smart Phones" (Get a real computer, OK?). But you can go after an individual cockroach's contributors. I'm going to use (poor, innocent ) Betty Komp as an example, for no particular reason (But if she votes for SB 941, she will be GUILTY and there WILL be a reason.)

First go here
    https://secure.sos.state.or.us/orestar/GotoSearchByName.do
    Check the candidate box and key in the cockroach's last name
    komp
    and it comes back with
    Komp, Betty
    Elect Betty Komp 4241 State Representative, 22nd District
    Democrat
    where 4241 is the "Committee ID"
    Click on the the filer name, which is a link to
    https://secure.sos.state.or.us/orestar/sooDetail.do?sooRsn=74780
    which comes back with a page of contact information.
    At the bottom, there are links to
    Prior Statement of Organization
    Persons Associated with Committee
    Campaign Finance Activity
    Printer Friendly Version
    Election Activity Log
    History
    Account Summary
    Click on "Campaign Finance Activity", and you'll get a spreadsheet
    Click on the "Sub Type" header, and it will sort for campaign contributions
    Gosh it looks like Anheuser-Busch contributed to Betty
    - Time to call them up and tell them you're going to stop drinking Buttwiper Beer, maybe? (But only if Betty votes for SB 941, of curse).

Now, *somebody*... In fact, a big group of "Somebodies"... could start making calls to Betty's contributors and tell them they need to impress upon Betty that if she votes for SB 941, she may have to depend ENTIRELY on Bloombugger in order to stay in orifice.

Lather, rinse, repeat for the rest of the (potential) cockroaches (I'm going to suspend the Cockroach Award Ceremony designating them as cockroaches UNTIL they vote for SB 941...)

I suggest starting with the "swing" DemonRats in Kevin's alert list...

(Yes, it is very late in the game. Yes, I should have done this long ago. Yes,
    yes, yes... Whatever... Dammit.)

There's an "Export To Excel Format" link at the top of the spreadsheet for anybody who can drive Excel to extract and reformat the contributors... .

*Some* of these contributors... Like the Confederated Tribes, will be VERY upset if they find out the 'Rats (To whom they HAVE been contributing) are trying to grab their guns.

Sic Semper Cockroaches...

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  5. hollowbase

hollowbase Oregon Member

Thanks for the responses and the info. I was able to find what I was looking for.

6. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

http://votesmart.org/ Is another good one. You can find out who funded and endorsed them, and you can get their ratings from various groups such as the NRA.

7. diagoras

8. diagoras

OK... I just called my "Representative" (what a joke) who is on the list.

I said, "I'm in Rep. Cockroachnik's district, and I just wanted to let you know that I just downloaded the list of Rep. Cockroachnik's campaign contributions from the Secretary of State's website, and that if he votes for SB 941 I am going to start calling his contributors."

I swear I heard the sound of a sphincter muscle contracting, like "KlanK!" on the other end, before The Legislative Assistant" got off the line. S/He/It did NOT sound amused.

I took two things away from this... #1, they REALLY don't like hearing that we might have fingered out that we can actually DO something about one of them, and #2 - it dawned on me after we hung up - we need to make sure they know w're going to contact these contributors *again during the election cycle* as well as right now.

I.e., we should be sure to let the cockroaches know that we're going to make contributors aware of our wrath *again* when the time comes for them to pay *another* bribe oops excuse me "contribution"...

Meanwhile, everybody go call them up and tell them we're on it! They'll get off the phone so fast, you could call 30 of them in an hour!!

Solved and Mr.B like this.