JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The fifth rule of firearm safety; only go shooting with people who know and follow the four rules.

GunsiteCooperFourBasicRulesGunSafety.jpg

Last Edited:
Putting guns away after an outing is finished is IMO one of the most dangerous times due to people not staying focused on gun safety.... but but but, it didn't have a round in the chamber cuz we was done shootin!. Gotta pull the trigger to put it away right? Looking to see if the chamber is clear is SUCH a pita!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: (I have one of those bright yellow chamber flags for my AR that go in before taking it off the shooting bench)

Putting guns away after an outing is finished is IMO one of the most dangerous times due to people not staying focused on gun safety.... but but but, it didn't have a round in the chamber cuz we was done shootin!. Gotta pull the trigger to put it away right? Looking to see if the chamber is clear is SUCH a pita!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: (I have one of those bright yellow chamber flags for my AR that go in before taking it off the shooting bench)

Loops of florescent lawn trimmer line.

Muzzle down or muzzle up would have probably saved a life here, even with the negligent discharge. Stupid and guns don't mix.

Edit: also - pulling the trigger to put guns away isn't even necessary. Racking the bolt / charging handle and looking in the chamber will answer the question if it's loaded or not.

I pull the trigger while the range is hot, and the gun pointed in a safe direction. Look and feel the chamber (if possible). Run the action several times. Look/feel. Pull the trigger. That, before putting the gun away.

Someone got sloppy.

I pull the trigger while the range is hot, and the gun pointed in a safe direction. Look and feel the chamber (if possible). Run the action several times. Look/feel. Pull the trigger. That, before putting the gun away.

Someone got sloppy.

Because I shoot/shot USPSA and IDPA, I'm used to a range/safety officer saying "Unload and show clear" and then "hammer down", so it's just gotten to be habit to clear the chamber physically or at the very least to pull the action back and look inside before pulling the trigger. To not do that is either lazy or complacent.

Last Edited:
Agreed. Have some, & are super easy to use.

Just like the lawn trimmer line better for us. Harder to misplace/forget & easier to see in range bags etc.

I can see that. Personally, my range bag has a zippered see-thru nylon mesh compartment in the top. Easy to see, hard to lose one. :)

BBQ?

How much do you want to bet that beer was also involved? :rolleyes:
And/or khat... :rolleyes:

Personally, the firearms and ammo go back in their "safe space" before any booze/beer/wine comes out.

If I'm cleaning my guns and there is alcohol around, then there is NO AMMO anywhere near me. I insist upon this when hanging out with others as well.
To date, no one has told me I'm paranoid or refuses to abide by these rules. All of my shootin' buddies take responsibility for ourselves, but we also look out for each other...

Last Edited:
The victim was with friends he knew. He was a good man and a loss to all.

It is very sad this happened. However, it was preventable by following basic rules of gun safety. If you're shooting with friends that aren't following safe shooting practices, you need to say something about it. Things like this shouldn't happen, and now there is a family missing its father.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top