JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I picked up a couple Cav Arms lowers from Stoner Arms and JC Weaponry at the March PDX gun show. One is black with some purple mixed in, while the other is orange with some blue in it.

The stocks are WAY too long to be useful for me so I decided to shorten yet another one but this time is a little different.

Just a few pics to show the progress and I'll continue fitting the butt pad and working on the grip/magwell texture over the next couple days.

I first determined how much I'd like to remove, then cut with my chop saw. A total of about 2 inches length of pull was what I removed(I shoot nose-to-charging handle). I then scuffed up the inside of the stock reinforcements and filled with Marine-Tex.

After I let that dry, I filled the cavity of the stock with expanding foam as it is strong and light weight. After it dried, I used a rasp and file to get the proper finish I needed.

Next, I drilled the holes for the upper and lower butt stock screws and screwed in the threaded inserts I purchased at ACE.

The next part was butt pad cutting and fitting. This was done with 3/8" rubber purchased from ACE as well. First, I traced the outline of the stock and cut to rough, but larger, size. Then, I drilled the holes for the butt pad screws and attached the pad to the stock. Using my belt sander, files and air grinder, I got a close fit to the stock.

After reshaping, rounding and undercutting the trigger guard, I used Marine-Tex and a tongue depressor to get the texture I wanted(sort of) on the grip and said trigger guard.

I'm about half way done and when I'm finished with all this work, I will blast, clean and coat the entire lower with CeraKote OD.

IMG_0216.jpg
IMG_0221.jpg
IMG_0220.jpg
IMG_0219.jpg

Mike

Mocked up with an upper I built(and recently sold).

Other parts are: Daniel Defense PAK flashlight mount, SureFire G2 w/ Wolff Eyes 230 lumen LED conversion, unbranded Millet DMS-1 mounted in an ADM AD-Recon 30mm dual throw lever mount and my favorite mags in the whole wide world, Tango Down ARC.

View attachment 207116
IMG_0506.jpg
IMG_0503.jpg
IMG_0507.jpg

Never shot it with the 5.56 upper, though. Just my Spike's .22 set up. I set it up, took these pics and sold the upper. Going to build another soon, though, in 5.45x39mm this time!

I'm currently in the process of reshaping the grip and doing a full stipple instead of the added on grip that is not rough enough for my tastes.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top