JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,

I am new to the sport, I joined USPSA after taking a safe competitor orientation down at Richmond Rod and Gun in the bay area, then shot a Tactical Pistol Match at Chabot the following day.

Needless to say I'm in love! I mean after 10+ years of plinking and target shooting in the 'woods' this is the natural progression of my hobby, it's so fun! Even if you don't do well, it's humbling to see how you react under pressure, and that 'ping' shot confirmation on steel... I just love it!

Anywhoo, I'm purchasing a Glock 34 to start shooting production, and I had a couple questions about the limitations to the gun..

I know they allow triggers and connectors, and grip stippling behind the trigger guard, but what if I wanted to send out my pistol to ZEV and have the backstrap cut off and the finger grooves removed? What about undercutting and rounding of the trigger guard?

I don't want to start shooting limited yet, and I'm also curious about IDPA, I know some of the rules are different, like placement of the holster and magazines etc.

Also, with my USPSA membership can I just start IPSC and Steel Shoots? Or would I need separate membership fees for those?

Thanks in advance for the help, look forward to seeing y'all at the range!

-Danny

Hello,

I am new to the sport, I joined USPSA after taking a safe competitor orientation down at Richmond Rod and Gun in the bay area, then shot a Tactical Pistol Match at Chabot the following day.

Needless to say I'm in love! I mean after 10+ years of plinking and target shooting in the 'woods' this is the natural progression of my hobby, it's so fun! Even if you don't do well, it's humbling to see how you react under pressure, and that 'ping' shot confirmation on steel... I just love it!

Anywhoo, I'm purchasing a Glock 34 to start shooting production, and I had a couple questions about the limitations to the gun..

I know they allow triggers and connectors, and grip stippling behind the trigger guard, but what if I wanted to send out my pistol to ZEV and have the backstrap cut off and the finger grooves removed? What about undercutting and rounding of the trigger guard?

I don't want to start shooting limited yet, and I'm also curious about IDPA, I know some of the rules are different, like placement of the holster and magazines etc.

Also, with my USPSA membership can I just start IPSC and Steel Shoots? Or would I need separate membership fees for those?

Thanks in advance for the help, look forward to seeing y'all at the range!

-Danny

I'm not a USPSA RO but I'm pretty sure if you start removing material from the grip/frame then you will have to shoot it in Limited or L10.

USPSA is the US version of IPSC. IPSC matches are run in other countries with slightly different rules. IPSC was started here in the US but some where along the way the name changed to USPSA and stayed IPSC for other countries.

Just like USPSA, you don't have to be a member to shoot local, club level Steel Challenge matches. For the higher level Steel Challenge matches you do have to be a member of the SCSA. Not all Steel matches are official Steel Challenge matches. I help run a Steel match here in the Seattle area and our match is not a Steel Challenge match but is very similar and based off their rules. We don't require a membership of any kind.

I am a Certified IDPA Safety Officer, if you were to remove material to reshape the grip it will be legal for the ESP Division vs SSP if you leave it stock in IDPA. In IDPA placement of the holster and mags is about the same as USPSA Production but the allowed holsters and mag pouches can be different.

Damon

Yea I just found my little blue book of rules, and it seems that there are no limitations to pistol grips, but for semi autos I can only grip tape or stipple the back strap, front strap and sides, it doesn't mention anything about removing the finger grooves on a Glock though. A friend of mine shoots in production with his finger groo...-bumps removed... I guess I might have to invest in another frame or new gun to do the grip reduction and the undercutting, then I can add a magwell and shoot Limited, and lose... badly.

Thanks Damon for all the info, I hear that IDPA is better for the defensive mindset, like they don't allow speed reloads? Is that true? and what are some of the other major differences between USPSA and IDPA?

Thanks Damon for all the info, I hear that IDPA is better for the defensive mindset, like they don't allow speed reloads? Is that true? and what are some of the other major differences between USPSA and IDPA?

Some of the major differences are; reloads, in IDPA the gun has to be empty to drop a mag on the ground, if there is one still in the chamber or the mag, you have to retain the mag. In IDPA if there is "cover" available, you have to shoot from behind cover, reloads also must be done from behind cover. Most of the time there will be an order in which you engage targets, if you engage them in the incorrect order you get a 3 second procedural error. Most of the time you have to wear some type of garment to cover/conceal your gun and mags while shooting a stage. In IDPA there is not a Division for Open class guns, no ported barrels, no compensator's and no optics are allowed.

I shoot both and like both. I shoot more IDPA because thats what I've been shooting the longest and most USPSA matches are held on Sundays in this area and I have less Sundays free. They require slightly different skill sets and very different mind sets. Both are great for trigger time and practicing gun handling skills. And both are lots of fun!!!

What is the typical membership fee for IDPA? Sign me up! ..and is there a mandatory class to take?

IDPA membership cost is the same as USPSA, $40 per year. No mandatory "class" to take. Most ranges you just show up early enough on match day to take their New Shooters Meeting/Orientation and then sign up for the match. Best to check with the range or Match Director at the range you want to shoot at.

I teach a one day class for starting in IDPA here in my area. I've found that there are a lot of people that would like some kind of class and practice before jumping right into a match. If you have shot a few USPSA matches before you should be fine shooting IDPA, safety and gun handling wise.

Damon

In my little blue book APPENDIX D4 #22 Specifically prohibited modifications and features fourth bullet point Grips - Any addition or removal of material which changes factory profile or adds function such as beavertail or thumb rest.
I would think this means that you could not change the profile and still shoot in Production Division.

Yea I think what I'll do is shoot in Production for a year or so with a Glock 34, then when I need to scratch my mod itch I'll just pick up another Glock!

Yea I'm more of a 1911 grip angle guy myself, hence the two XDs I own, but Glocks are good shooters, I find myself very accurate with them. I have yet to try out an XDM at the range, but I hear good things about the 5.25"..

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top