JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Afternoon [well, HERE it's 5:45 pm] Mr Andy, Sir. I'm in need of some advice and assistment.

My newest Uberti rifle has a finish on its stock that makes a Steinway pianner look like a sheet of old tarpaper, and it's getting me down somewhat.

Bearing in mind the cost of these things to begin with, what's the best way of reducing that gleam to a finish somewhat less bowling-ball quality?

Afternoon [well, HERE it's 5:45 pm] Mr Andy, Sir. I'm in need of some advice and assistment.

My newest Uberti rifle has a finish on its stock that makes a Steinway pianner look like a sheet of old tarpaper, and it's getting me down somewhat.

Bearing in mind the cost of these things to begin with, what's the best way of reducing that gleam to a finish somewhat less bowling-ball quality?
Wet 0000 steel wool or a Scotchbrite pad, maybe some 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper as well will reduce the glare

Sounds like you get to choose between shooting/handling it with soft "white gloves", or tolerate finger/palm prints all over it…. Uuugh!

Please allow me to relate a story which may have an effect on your 'refinishing' decisions.
I have a .50cal. Investarms (Italian made) Hawken / mountain rifle. It also had that ultra homogenous colored, smooth as a bowling ball, near plastic coating. A friend of mine assembled his own rifle kits and the oil finish he used was very good looking yet appeared 'period' for a muzzleloading piece. Now I am also a lefty, so I also did not need the factory cheek swell. So, I pulled off all of the furniture, fittings and miscellaneous stuff from the stock and commenced to sanding things all the way down to real wood.
With this effort, two things happened; first off I could put a nice 'authentic' style finish on the stock, which was the original intent, but secondly, when I arrived at 'real wood', I found that the walnut was not a single, homogeneous color, but had a natural and beautiful blonde streak through it. As one might imagine, this brought on a singular personality to the rifle, as I know it is most definately mine.

Last Edited:
Hiya tac
As noted above 0000 steel wool and your favorite stock oil will be your friends here.
Sanding , lots of elbow grease and time will also be helpful.

If it was my rifle , I would first try the steel wool it might cut the glare.
But , in my experience with Uberti firearms , sanding , as in stripping the stock is needed in order to give the firearm a proper 19th century finish.
Andy

Please allow me to relate a story which may have an effect on your 'refinishing' decisions.
I have a .50cal. Investarms (Italian made) Hawken / mountain rifle. It also had that ultra homogenous colored, smooth as a bowling ball, near plastic coating. A friend of mine assembled his own rifle kits and the oil finish he used was very good looking yet appeared 'period' for a muzzleloading piece. Now I am also a lefty, so I also did not need the factory cheek swell. So, I pulled off all of the furniture, fittings and miscellaneous stuff from the stock and commenced to sanding things all the way down to real wood.
With this effort, two things happened; first off I could put a nice 'authentic' style finish on the stock, which was the original intent, but secondly, when I arrived at 'real wood', I found that the walnut was not a single, homogeneous color, but had a natural and beautiful blonde streak through it. As one might imagine, this brought on a singular personality to the rifle, as I know it is most definately mine.

So it's true then, blondes DO have more fun!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top