JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok,

First of all I appreciate you guys taking the time to read this. I need some help with an AR-15.

I am planning on buying the Smith and Wesson M&P15R which shoots the 5.45x39 caliber. I found a good deal on a new factory one. $750 Delievered.( with LE discount).
I don't know anything about the AR system but very willing to learn. I had the AK47 and now own the Arsenal SGL31/ 5.45x39/I always have been an AK guy.Always will be :)

What I need help on:

I need to know where a top quality gas piston conversion kit can be found for the AR15.
I need someone in Oregon that can help me install it.(the gas piston kit)
I need someone that does trigger jobs on AR15s. (need a smooth trigger)

I know that many say that you dont need the gas piston kit and its a solution for a non-problem. I also know you loose about .5MOA . Sorry. I'm already decided about this part.

P.S - Please remember I dont know anything about AR15's so details would be helpful.

Thank you very much.

cmmg makes a piston conversion $299 works with any caliber,clamp or pin installed, dont know much about installing them.I know you can get some pretty nice drop in triggers for a AR timneys are nice.

One down side of going with a 5.45x39mm. is that most gas piston systems are set to work with the 5.56mm cart. .223rem. Not sure how well the gas piston system would work with that cartrige. Next up are the mag's. Only one co. makes large cap. mags. for them. They are so/so. Personaly If you are looking for a cheap shooting 5.45x39 I would go with a Ak74 clone. You can get one for about $500. Or if you want a Ar. Stick with 5.56mm. You should be able to get a good 16in carbine for that ammount.

If I were you I'd bag the gas piston idea and go with a 556 that you build yourself. In the 10 years I've been using AR's in competition it's almost always user error, mags or ammo that causes problems if you can clean the gun every 500 or so rounds. A gas piston system is actually just more parts to have problems with if you think about it, for a suppressor it would be different. In the long run you'll save yourself money by putting together exactly what you need in a rifle/carbine rather than getting a barebones basic one that you end up replacing most of the parts on anyways.
IMHO a free float hand guard will go a lot farther than a trigger job, but I always do both.

ARs are junk...after owning three, all became projects in finding reliability and accuracy...

If you just want a toy...just buy what you want, and just hang more stuff on it untill it looks really cool.

I would stay with 5.56 for parts, ammo, mags and overall ease of use. I have owned probably 10 AR's and have never had any problems with them. BUT I have kept them all stock besides a few bolt ons, all were Bushmasters.

To the above poster, I've only had 2 reliability problems, ever, with any of my ARs. 1 was being an overgassed 10.5" when using it suppressed. Fixed by putting in an H-Buffer. The other was with a very specific combination of CavArms lower, Guat ammo, CMMG upper, and MagPul PMAGS. The PMAGs were causing the gun to short stroke. Replaced with standard GI mags and it would run flawlessly.

Note that in BOTH cases, I was using the rifles outside their design parameters and using non-standard parts. So the statement that ARs are junk, is utter crap.

GAS PISTONS:
Anyway, back to the original poster. There are some 5.45 rifles out there. 2 pre-built ones are the Oly and the S&W. While I think piston systems for ARs introduce more problems than they are perceived to solve and at a significant cost, there are some kits available to retrofit DI rifles.

And, I just saw a newer Olympic Arms system. It was adjustable for their guns by way of a secondary exhaust port. The other added benefit of it is that it uses standard AR gas rings for any wear parts. Pretty neat. And with their presence in the NW, they could help you install it, particularly J&S Gunparts.

CMMG, Adams Arms, TNW (I think) all have retrofit piston kits.

TRIGGER JOBS:
You can do your own 15-minute trigger job (I'd suggest cutting the tang on the hammer if you lighten the spring). http://www.sargenthome.com/15_Minute_AR_Trigger_Job.htm

However, I'd be cautious due to the extra hard primers on the 5.45 ammo. You NEED a significant hammer hit to light them off.

If you don't feel comfortable with that, you can buy a trigger and/or hammer combo. Mega machine has a pretty trick one. Wilson, RRA, Giesselle, and a few others have them.

If you want to take your standard group and have it worked on, Bill Springfield and Williams both do reworks of standard trigger groups.

My personal advice, is to just get the rifle, and shoot it. If the trigger pull is too heavy for you, check the 15 minute trigger job. It won't fix creep, overtravel or anything else, but it will substantially reduce trigger pull for no money. If it's a little gritty, just polish the surfaces.

Gas piston ARs are silly. They are a solution to a nonexistent problem and can cause other problems. The only good reason I can think of to use a gas piston is if you plan on shooting suppressed a lot. I'd rather just use a DI AR with a switchblock though or a PRI gas buster charging handle.

unless you are shooting wolf 5.45 you will have to use a special extra power hammer spring and modify the firing pin to bust them caps.

so light trigger pull mods and comp trigger are out of the question.

some of the piston kits are easy to install just drop in while others do require a little work

not sure if the piston system will work 100% for 5.45 but im sure if you get one with a adjustable gas system you can make it work

lots of pros and cons on the piston system they have there good points and bad but its the latest fad so why not biggest issue is carrier tilt but they have special carriers now the help the problem and universal parts meaning you buy a kit and that business goes out of business and it breaks your screwed but a gas tube is only $15 and universal and simple but what i never liked about the DI is it poops where it eats which leads to extra heat one working parts and crud which leads to faster ware but thats really not a issue unless your gonna shoot 25000 rds through it and if you can afford to shoot 25000 rds you can afford a new bolt when it wares out.

probably the most popular drop in systems right now are the cmmg and adams kits

Is the reason you want a piston because you are planning on shooting the corrossive and CHEAP 5.45 ammo?.... The only gun I am thinking of using a piston on is my 7" with suppressor, due to being over gassed.

That's one of the reasons I want the gas piston. I'll be shooting the corrosive 5.45 and the gas piston is cleaner. and reliability is also huge for me. What good is a accurate low recoil rifle if it's going to jam? Thanks for all the info guys.

That's one of the reasons I want the gas piston. I'll be shooting the corrosive 5.45 and the gas piston is cleaner. and reliability is also huge for me. What good is a accurate low recoil rifle if it's going to jam? Thanks for all the info guys.

Piston ARs are not any more reliable than DI. It is a myth that was made up to make you part with your money.

Does the savings of a 5.45 AR in cheap ammo work out in the long run with the piston business?

I have a 5.45 that is UBER reliable and EASY to clean... and probably cost less... and is a HOOT to shoot! IMG_3025.jpg

and I have a real real hard time saying NO to this.....

<broken link removed>

Does the savings of a 5.45 AR in cheap ammo work out in the long run with the piston business?

I have a 5.45 that is UBER reliable and EASY to clean... and probably cost less... and is a HOOT to shoot! IMG_3025.jpg

and I have a real real hard time saying NO to this.....

<broken link removed>

On the nose if you want a piston and shoot 5.45 this is the answer

Is your primary goal to save money by using the 5.45 caliber? Do you want an AR because it is more accurate than most AK systems? If you want a 5.45 on the cheap then buy an AK. If you want an AR but want to save money then going with the 5.45 is not a logical answer. The cost of the conversion and then tuning it for reliability will cost hundreds of dollars. Those hundreds could have bought a lot of 5.56mm ammo. If you really want a 5.45 piston AR then I think you should contact the makers of the piston kits and ask them if they would be reliable with the 5.45 caliber. I wish you luck on your project and hope you have fun whatever you decide.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top