JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
First time in 22 years of eligibility in 3 states...called for Jury Duty at Oregon Circuit Court.

Spoke to the court and they said it's usually one day, maybe two. If it gets much past one week, it runs smack up against the birth of my daughter, and my wife's summons outweighs the court's.

So, anyone have any pointers? I expect hours of tedium and then probably going home without ever warming a box seat.

Yes, be sure to study up on jury nullification and let the prosecutor know that it is your duty (as a good citizen who believe in the Constitution) to inform your fellow jurors of their rights under jury nullification. :D

bring plenty of reading material, i got lucky and got chosen after 7 and a half hours, but they can keep you comin back 8 hours a day for three days without getting chosen. It was a good experience though once i actually got on the jury.

First time in 22 years of eligibility in 3 states...called for Jury Duty at Oregon Circuit Court.

Spoke to the court and they said it's usually one day, maybe two. If it gets much past one week, it runs smack up against the birth of my daughter, and my wife's summons outweighs the court's.

So, anyone have any pointers? I expect hours of tedium and then probably going home without ever warming a box seat.

I got called a couple years ago for the first time, got there at 7:AM they dismissed half of us a 10:AM and the rest at 1:30 pm, the guy pleaded out. Like the man said, bring a book or a good magazine......:)

I stuck with my background and let it be known that I only believe in the data and not in emotion. I was the first to be excused. If you have a Scientific or Mech. background that works just about everytime. Or wear your best polo firearms shirt

I was on jury duty in June. Never quite made it to a trial but close. I just enjoyed reading my Bible and Gun Tests magazine. Thought that was a good combo.
Of course I left my gun locked in the truck but I brought the magazine in with me. I figured if they made me vulnerable I at least wouldn't let a car thief have a gun that could be shot easily:s0155:

I stuck with my background and let it be known that I only believe in the data and not in emotion. I was the first to be excused. If you have a Scientific or Mech. background that works just about everytime. Or wear your best polo firearms shirt

Wow! I had heard that from people I knew at Hughes when I lived in Kalifornia. The lawyers always challenged people who were engineers. Someone told me that attorneys want people who they can easily emotionally sway and do not want engineering types who look at things with cold analysis. I thought that was just one guy's opinion but apparently not.

I guess a systems engineer like me will go to lunch early...

Well, I planned for a vacation with family reunion and here come the jury duty letter arrived. I wrote a letter back to the court explained that I would attent but I already have something come up that can't reschedule. I will not be available to go from such and such day. They approved for me to stay home. They dont force you to be jury duty anymore :) Few months later after my vacation I recieved another one. I went and case dismissed before I got a chance to sit down in the waiting room. It was nice :)

If they dont approve, just talk to the court person that you "He/she is already guilty!" if they asked why you are saying that then respond nicely "They got arrested didn't they?" he he he he

I have been called several times, and was proud to serve. It is a thrilling patriotic experience in my view---this is it, the best and worst of Democracy in action. Random thoughts: security is tight---I even had to ditch my keyring plastic kubotan! (however, a mini-maglight will get through, ha-ha!) There is a big TV for daytime soaps if you sit up front. There are study carrels if you want to sleep or work--it's a good time to write letters. There is card playing in the back. There is a big selection of games and books---take your old books to donate! It is PACKED at 8:00 am, but it thins out quickly. You will recognize "developmentally delayed" people in the Juror Pool. You will encounter unwashed and STINKING people too. If you are a smoker you will be miserable, but you like that anyway, right? At lunch break there is a wonderful huge food court with every ethnic food in the basement of Pioneer Place, two blocks North. You are likely to sit all day and be done.

You can use my experience either if you want to be excluded or if you want to serve. I was often called to cases and usually among the first to be excluded. Prosecutors were alarmed that I listed shooting as one of my hobbies. Defense attornies were alarmed at how many times I had been mugged and assaulted and burglarized. Both were alarmed when I stated that the word of a policeman was not solely enough evidence for me. I do admit that I can often look very scary without even trying :D On the trials that I served, the judges were very happy when I asked questions if asked.

Due to my respect for the majesty of the Law I always wore a dress shirt and necktie, and found myself treated with extra respect by all......................elsullo ;)

My wife got called in and I wrote them a nice letter stating that she could not take unpaid time from work due to the fact that times are tight and her job is very important to the well being, and finacial state of the family(kinda true). They respoded the next week saying she was excused.

I have always felt it was a civic responsibility to serve and have. It is not encouraging to know that a jury might be composed of those folks that weren't smart enough to get off. As has been said...bring a book! :winkkiss:

I showed up 15 minutes late, and they dismissed me... i was dissapointed, but was also glad to go back to work. I'm the sole provider of a family of 5- soon to be 6- and a missed week or two of work was not likely to work for me.

i believe in civic duty, but your own come first.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top