JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I need a caliper for reloading, as I am just starting out. I am at a bit of a loss on what to get. I don't want to go with a cheap one that will fail shortly after getting it, but at the same time what is overkill? I know I do want to go with a digital one. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!!

Try Craigslist, I see them listed all the time for cheap. I have a Harbor Freight model that I use and it has performed well so far, but I have a Mitutoyo to check it against.

I am a machinist......so my opinion is biased, but I would look up MSC and see what they have on sale. I would look at Fowler or SPI brand calipers, as they are on the lower end of decent machinist tools, but should be plenty good for reloading.

I am a machinist......so my opinion is biased, but I would look up MSC and see what they have on sale. I would look at Fowler or SPI brand calipers, as they are on the lower end of decent machinist tools, but should be plenty good for reloading.

Thank you! I was hoping a machinist or someone of the like would chime in. I'll be checking those out now!!

For reloading RCBS sells a real nice plastic dial caliper. I used mine for years to make handmade folding knives with tolerances getting close to .0005".

I now use a 6" digital I bought at Harbor Frieght with a coupon from the paper for less then 10 bucks. And for reloading it is more then accurate enough reading to .0005" heck I started my reloading using a pass through frame (like they use to gauge crabs when you catch them) I'm sure it wasn't accurate to .005" and I never had a problem

I have NSK and Mitutoyo dial calipers. I like dials because I never deal with a dead battery!

But, many of the digital ones have an automatic shut off feature. If you are near to a Harbor Freight you might check them out, just don't buy the cheapest one they have.

I've also purchased from MSC and got a great quality tools for my money.

For everyones information.......a caliper may read to a given increment but may not be accurate to said increment. Some may read out to .001 but are only accurate to .008.

After looking at MSC, I think I'm gonna go with either a Fowler or SPI. They are both accurate to .001 in. The SPI is $49.80 and the Fowler is $63.22...A lot better than the Mitutoyo I was originally looking at! lol. Reason I'm going with a caliper a bit more high end than a harbor freight type one is I'll be using it for more than reloading and have been wanting a good one for a while. Now just need to sell some things so I can order one!

For everyones information.......a caliper may read to a given increment but may not be accurate to said increment. Some may read out to .001 but are only accurate to .008.

I think this statement should be qualified. The caliper would be accurate within .008" at the extreme end of it's measurement range. Which means a 6" caliper would be within .008" when measuring something that is nearly 6". At smaller measurements, the discrepancy would be much smaller.

That said, a micrometer will always give you more precise, easily repeatable measurements.

If I was measuring case head swell on a piece of brass to compare post-firing to pre-firing, I'd use a micrometer. If I really needed to split hairs on the diameter of a bullet, I'd use a micrometer, too!

But, for the rest of the needs a handloader has, a decent pair of calipers will be just fine. And, like most things in this life, you get what you pay for!

For measuring OAL or sorting bullets, a nice economical digital caliper is all one needs. Dial Caliper too although my plastic one is just a little hard to read. I use it for sorting cases by locking it on a setting and toss cases that "fit" between the jaws in the "no trim" bucket.

Buying a "big name" caliper for reloading, usually costing well over $100 is overkill. Digital micrometers are available for measuring the "gnat hairs" and is the best choice for precision as orygun pointed out. One can buy a good one for case head measurement and bullet measurement for around $50.

OAL measurements within .001" are more than close enough and even those cheap calipers out there measure down to .0005"

At some point, trying to measure a cartridge and it's components to a high level of precision gets to the level of trying to "pick the fly poop out of the pepper".

Some good advice here!

Remember, the worst thing you can do with your calipers is drop them! And When your measuring, remember to use light pressure. You can make them read whatever you want, with enough pressure!

As for battey life...I have a pair of Mitutoyo digital I use everyday and have never changed the battery...I bought them 12 years ago...I think they may be solar powered...Its odd

Now after thinking about it, if I can make it to Harbor Freight, I might see what they have for the time being. Then I will at least have something that will do the job until I can get what I want.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top