JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all

Im going to be heading to the Redding area in a few weeks.... Couple of questions.

Obviously I cant carry there. Is open carry a thing in that area?

Will I need to unload and separate the gun & ammo upon crossing the border?
Can I leave the mag loaded in the glove box and the pistol in the back zipped in a case? Or should I unload mags and keep ammo and mag separate too?

Assuming I can have the gun loaded in my hotel room, right?

Thanks!

Pretty much.... All - No.

No open carry.
Separate ammo and weapon - but most importantly is the compartment separating you from the weapon as well.
No mags (ammo) OR weapons in the vehicle compartment at the same time.

And the finale - you took ammo across state lines into California... Pretty sure that's a no-no now, too.

Others will probably correct and fill in details...

Hey all

Im going to be heading to the Redding area in a few weeks.... Couple of questions.

Obviously I cant carry there. Is open carry a thing in that area?

Will I need to unload and separate the gun & ammo upon crossing the border?
Can I leave the mag loaded in the glove box and the pistol in the back zipped in a case? Or should I unload mags and keep ammo and mag separate too?

Assuming I can have the gun loaded in my hotel room, right?

Thanks! Don't forget to drop off some cases 5.45 to Camfilter passing Medford.
ha ha BE SAFE

No concealed carry without a CA permit, that can only be issued to CA residents. No open carry unless your are hunting with a valid hunting license. Unloaded guns in trunk OK. Guns in passenger compartment, including glove compartment not OK. Loaded mags in passenger compartment OK, so long as gun is in trunk or in a locked case. Loaded gun in Hotel room OK, but not in areas open to the public or other guest. Loaded mags in trunk OK, so long as not in firearm. No mags over 10 rounds capacity. No weapons classified as CA assault weapons that are not registered to you.

Half of the above is incorrect.

No carry, unloaded, loaded, open or concealed, unless you have an LEOSA credential. There are some extremely limited exemptions for hunting but when you factor in proximity to roads, trails, etc. you get about one square foot per county where it is valid. You can carry concealed in your campsite but not the campground.

Handguns must be in a "secure" locked container, not merely zipped shut. Loaded mags can be in the same locked container as the gun, but cannot be in the gun.

No mags over ten rounds.

Nonresidents can bring as much ammo as they want but cannot transfer it while there. No tracers or odd ammo, e.g. flechettes.

No threaded barrels on pistols. Check the CRPA "assault weapon" flow chart for more detail on the many types of banned firearms. For example, some firearms are banned by name and cannot be brought to California even after the evil features are removed.

Long guns cannot be loaded in the vehicle.

No NFA items other than some types of AOW in certain circumstances.

Redding should be beautiful in the spring. Hopefully family and hiking are the reasons for your trip.

No carry, unloaded, loaded, open or concealed, unless you have an LEOSA credential. There are some extremely limited exemptions for hunting but when you factor in proximity to roads, trails, etc. you get about one square foot per county where it is valid. You can carry concealed in your campsite but not the campground.

Handguns must be in a "secure" locked container, not merely zipped shut. Loaded mags can be in the same locked container as the gun, but cannot be in the gun.

No mags over ten rounds.

Nonresidents can bring as much ammo as they want but cannot transfer it while there. No tracers or odd ammo, e.g. flechettes.

No threaded barrels on pistols. Check the CRPA "assault weapon" flow chart for more detail on the many types of banned firearms. For example, some firearms are banned by name and cannot be brought to California even after the evil features are removed.

Redding should be beautiful in the spring. Hopefully family and hiking are the reasons for your trip.
I did not mention LEOSA because the OP did not mention being a LEO or ex LEO. I never said anything about a zipped container. I said locked container or in a trunk. Otherwise I do not disagree to what you posted. Maybe I should have pointed out the limitation on threaded barrels on handguns and no tracer ammo., but that seemed beyond what the OP was asking. My question is how to you get to "half incorrect"?

No mags over ten rounds.

I was just winging it with the basics I know... :rolleyes:

Im sorry you have to visit that state. I drive around to to go to Arizona. I'd rather spend more money and drove longer than to spend one cent in California. Ok I do buy liquor in Hilt. But that's as far as I go!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top