JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Men suspected of firing pellet guns at paragliders plead not guilty - San Jose Mercury News

So I really want to see this "high caliber" pellet gun the news reports talks about.

Men suspected of firing pellet guns at paragliders plead not guilty

By Joshua Melvin
[email protected]
Posted: 01/11/2012 07:04:46 AM PST
Updated: 01/11/2012 07:04:51 AM PST

Two men accused of opening fire with a high-caliber pellet gun on people preparing to paraglide at a popular Daly City launch site have pleaded not guilty to felony assault with a deadly weapon.
Alex Attard, 38, of Daly City, and Edward Amatori, 49, face one count for each paraglider who was fired upon while gearing up for a flight at Mussel Rock on Saturday afternoon, said San Mateo County District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe. The men were arraigned Monday.
No one was hurt in the incident, but police called in the SWAT team after the fliers reported hearing one shot pass over their heads and saw dirt splash when another slammed into the ground near them. Officers found the men in some brush shooting a .22 caliber pellet gun and arrested them without any trouble. The men denied shooting at the fliers, said Daly City police Sgt. Mike Barton.
Amatori has already been convicted of a similar offense, Wagstaffe said. Court records show he pleaded no contest in August 2011 to misdemeanor assault for shooting someone with a pellet gun in South San Francisco. Amatori was on probation for that crime at the time of Saturday's incident, Wagstaffe said.
Both men are being held at the San Mateo County jail in lieu of $25,000 bail and are due back in court Jan. 23.
Contact Joshua Melvin at 650-348-4335.

At first I was pretty indignant, but then I read that one was alraedy on probation for doing the exact same thing in '11...

But still- "deadly weapon" is pretty betarded. I know .22cal air rifles can kill, but it's hardly a "weapon." I think an endangerment charge of similar severity is in order, but calling an air rifle a "deadly weapon" is freaken stupid.

Don't they make air rifles for hunting? If so then they are deadly.

This is just stupid and both those guys need to be locked up to protect society from their next act of extreme act of stupidity.

Well a Federal Champion 510 .22LR travels at 1240 fps

A Stoeger X-50 Air rifle travels at 1200 fps as do many other high quality pellet rifles

900-1000 fps is very common in a .22 cal airrifle

SO YES pretty dang nab deadly in my book

Look up South Carolina Trooper Coates if you want to know how deadly a .22 can be.

If you don't Ill break it down for you here. Trooper Coates got 5 shots off with his .357 magnum and I think he hit the suspect all 5x. The suspect lived. Trooper Coates got hit once, through the side of his vest, with a .22 that pierced his heart, and killed him.

If you can find a link of the infamous incident, do post. Its pretty hard to find, mostly cops in training are the only ones who see it.

Look up South Carolina Trooper Coates if you want to know how deadly a .22 can be.

If you don't Ill break it down for you here. Trooper Coates got 5 shots off with his .357 magnum and I think he hit the suspect all 5x. The suspect lived. Trooper Coates got hit once, through the side of his vest, with a .22 that pierced his heart, and killed him.

If you can find a link of the infamous incident, do post. Its pretty hard to find, mostly cops in training are the only ones who see it.

Trooper Coates was a really bubblegumty shot.

Guess I am old and out of the loop. When I think of air rifle I think of a Crosman(?) pumped up 30x times with one of those cupped .17 pellets.

Never knew an air rifle could kill a man without shooting into someone's eye.

Somebody being killed with a .22lr to the heart changes absolutely nothing about the lethality of a .22 cal air rifle.

Nor even the lethality of the .22lr.

I could kill you with my phone, I bet... should we classify it as a deadly weapon?

OK so all those deer killed with a .22cal slug traveling at 1000fps means that a .22 cal pellet of the same weight traveling at 1000+ fps isn't deadly. I'm so confused.

I have friends who fed their familys during the depression with .22 longs bought a few at a time with money from the hides.

I think maybe the question whether it's a deadly weapon depends on how it's used. A handkerchief stuffed down a victim's throat and held in place could be a deadly weapon, but thrown at the victim, not so much.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top