Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

California King

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WillMunny, Jun 27, 2012.

1. WillMunny

WillMunny NE Portland Active Member

At least that's what I think it is.....a good friend in Napa, Ca found this guy crawling up (or down) one of her oak trees.

snake2.jpg
    snake1.jpg
    snake.jpg

2. safetyman

safetyman Clark County, WA Active Member

Looks to me like its time to sharpen that old rusty machete laying in the corner of the garage...

slimer13 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

Yep, that's a King. I had an encounter with one that put a jitter in my step and a st,st,stutter in my speech once under a broke down truck. It fell into that "more than four legs and less than two" category which almost got it d,d,d,dead! Their harmless as far as poison and I believe they eat other snakes, including rattle snakes, so they can't be all bad.

EMP9596 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

5. Mason3379

Mason3379 Oregon City Active Member

And here I thought someone was trying to get rid of a bed!:paranoid:

Trlsmn and (deleted member) like this.
  6. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

I agree. I have a big Racer who swims around my small pond in my backyard in the summer along with a couple garter snakes. I buy feeder goldfish and throw them in the pond. They never last!

Blitzkrieg and (deleted member) like this.
  7. EMP9596

EMP9596 Two Trees West of Camas, WA. Active Member

Yep! Rattlesnake repellent... had a friend they lived in Reche Canyon S. Calif, he would catch them and take them home. Never saw rattlers if a king lived in the area close to the house

8. safetyman

safetyman Clark County, WA Active Member

Shows you how much I know about snakes. With the bold and highly contrasting colors it appeared to me that whatever it bit was doomed. If it is indeed as harmless as you say it is I, too, would vouch to leave it be.

9. WillMunny

I thought that after I posted lol

Yeah, King snakes are good to have around and aren't a threat unless you're small enough to go down his throat.

10. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

They eat rodents! Puts them pretty high in my esteem.

11. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

They are immune to rattle snake venom, and keep them in check... still don't care for snakes after pulling duty in Latin America... Bushmasters (and I don't mean the gun) ruined me on them, big time.

12. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Kinda cool the way its climbing the tree.

13. Cfreese

Cfreese Portland, Or/ S.F, Ca New Member

Red touches yellow your a dead fellow, Red touches black, Your ok jack. :thumbup: I guess the person will be ok!

14. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

Prehensile everything!

15. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Clack Co. OR Well-Known Member

I once grabbed hold of a Diamondback, big one too. Deadly MFers. My two older sisters and I had been playing in a circle of rocks for quite a while when I reached under one of them and felt, then grabbed hold of something. I pulled my hand back and told my sisters that "there's something under there." My eldest sister got a good look and yelled "snake." We all freaked out and ran yelling. Dad ran up, flipped the rock over and shot it with a 38. We were just lucky that it was cold under that rock and he was still groggy or I probably would have been DRT.

I don't like snakes.

I won't kill snakes up here, everyone tells me that they're all non-poisonous. They still creep me out though.

16. WillMunny

You'd be hard pressed to find a rattler on the west side of the mountain, but the east side is another story. In any case there's generally never a reason to kill a snake.

I used to catch garter snakes as a kid. Once, when my folks were out, my older sister had been placed "in charge". I thought it was a prime opportunity to sneak my latest catch up to my bedroom. She demanded to see what I had in my coat pocket, so I told her it was a snake. She said, "Yeah, right...", grabbed my jacket away and shoved her hand in the pocket. With the snake. Pandemonium ensued; the jacket went flying one way, the snake went the other, and I was taking stairs two at a time up to my room.

We still kid each other about it 40some years later.

17. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

At age 12 I was almost bitten by a young western diamondback in Northern Cali. It was in our basement stairwell and warned me as they all do before striking. I jumped big time and a neighbor came over and shot it with a 22. My dad and brother once saw a 9 foot long one sliding across a dirt road.. it's trunk was as big as a strong man's bicep. . There are no poison snakes in Western Washington state unless they are an escaped "pet"..I don't hate snakes, just respect them. They provide big time rodent control advantages and are part of the ecosystem

18. lamrith

lamrith tacoma Active Member

NOT a Coral, Corals are 3 color. That's a classic King. They do eat other snakes.

The snakes to worry about we don't have here.. Notorious mean snakes are Cottonmouth(Eastern/southern US), mamba's and Cobra's. They have a tendency to be aggressive and chase, get away from them quickly as possible.

The rest of the snake works is just happy to be left alone and only bites in self defense. Think of them as you would a Fellow CC holder.

bnsaibum and (deleted member) like this.
  19. taylor

taylor Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

I found a baby one in San Diego along side a hill early one am, put it in my pocket and it went right to sleep. It ended up in someones garden , grew fat and happy.
    They climb trees either looking for baby squirrels and birds or to scrape parasites off skin.