JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I live in Oregon and have purchased a Glock 45 Gen 5. I go to school in California and want to bring it with me for home defense. I'm not a California resident. How can I legally bring it in with me?

**Update** 8/17/2020

Several legal authorities have weighed in now and it seems that Freedom hasn't come to California, yet. According to CRPA, the group that brought this lawsuit against the state of California:

"Today's opinion, however, should not be read as immediately ending the ban on acquiring magazines over 10 rounds. While possession of these magazines remains legal under the injunction issued by the district court in 2017, it is unclear whether today's decision lifts the district court's 2019 order staying the injunction that would have halted the enforcement of the manufacture and acquisition ban. According to the terms of that order, it remains in effect "pending final resolution" of the Duncan appeal."

Bring it. Pay attention to CA gun transportation laws and storage laws. A 10 round mag would also be a great idea untill the whold mag thing get settled. You should be fine.

Stop asking people not in CA about the laws in CA

Register here

Read through the wiki

Contact a CA legal expert

//thread

Yup no members here in Cali... FYI the link you posted is for people MOVING to California so it wont apply.

I live in Oregon and have purchased a Glock 45 Gen 5. I go to school in California and want to bring it with me for home defense. I'm not a California resident. How can I legally bring it in with me?
I assume that you are in college and at least 21 years of age. This applies to all firearms, not just handguns. You cannot bring a firearm onto school grounds not even if you reside on school grounds. There might be some circumstances where a firearm can be brought onto school grounds such as participating in a school shooting event. The law has that exception but I don't know of any college or university in the state that has a shooting range. I'm not saying there isn't, I'm just not aware of any.

California, of course, does not recognize concealed carry permits from out of state, and you don't qualify for the expensive 90 day CCW license.

Having a loaded handgun in violation of California law can be prosecuted as a felony if your handgun is not registered in the California Dealer Record of Sale (DROS) system, which yours is not. A felony conviction will result in a lifetime ban on your right to even possess firearms.

Leave the handgun in Oregon. If you live off-campus, preferably more than 1,000 feet of a K-12 public or private school then buy a shotgun for home defense, and don't take it outside the doors to your home.

And don't take this personally if you are not, but if you are a consumer of any drug that is illegal under Federal law, such as Marijuana, then you are in violation of both state and Federal law even when and where Marijuana is legal, such as California. The Feds may or may not prosecute for violating Federal law but the State of California will prosecute you for violating state law. Marijuana might be legal in many circumstances in California, but it is a crime to legally use marijuana and be in possession of a firearm in California.

Stop asking people not in CA about the laws in CA

Register here

Read through the wiki

Contact a CA legal expert

//thread
Please do not refer people to CalGuns.nuts. You will not find any experts on anything there, let alone on California gun-laws.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top