JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oh man, this is big. In many Calif. counties, there is no place to shoot except formal ranges. Because outdoor shooting on public lands has been pretty much eliminated. This would require non-lead ammo for those few shooting venues in many places. Which is significantly more expensive. And will greatly curtail recreational shooting. To say nothing of absolutely killing cast bullets.

Did you note this from the first paragraph: "by regulation, a public process to certify ammunition as nonlead ammunition and to establish and annually update a list of certified nonlead ammunition." Which rules out hand loading your own using non-lead projectiles that can be purchased. I'll repeat if you missed this, all non-lead ammunition must be certified by the Calif. Fish and Game Commission.

It's not law yet, but because a certain political party has dominated Calif. for decades, it is pretty certain of passage, I'd think.

What goes down in California has a way of making its way north.

I've been buying various kinds of non-lead projectiles for several years now, anticipating some kind of restriction on lead bullets. This will do me no good if certified ammo is required.

People in the Los Angeles Silhouette Club and the Cast Bullet Association will be pretty angry. The LASC is a pretty big deal, but not big enough to make any headway against the political machine. How do they fight something like this? There is no argument that's going to work because the entire leverage it's got is as a health issue. Even though an intended secondary goal is to discourage use of firearms.

I bet this one pssses and sticks for at least a while. Once the courts get to it who knows. The certification process dooms and odd caliber. I shoot 6mmbr and it's hard to find even lead for that. You could load copper if you wanted to but it wouldn't be certified.

They won't stop.

Way back when they designated the California Condor area as restricted to non-lead bullets, I had a stinkling that it would eventually encompass the entire state. Too big of a win for the antis to pass up. It took a while but this is it. I say again, who can put up effective resistance to something done in the name of public health? And that may eventually be what comes down to gun ownership. Banning it in the name of public health and safety.

Way back when they designated the California Condor area as restricted to non-lead bullets, I had a stinkling that it would eventually encompass the entire state. Too big of a win for the antis to pass up. It took a while but this is it. I say again, who can put up effective resistance to something done in the name of public health? And that may eventually be what comes down to gun ownership. Banning it in the name of public health and safety.
If you look at nearly every anti gun bill that comes along in Oregon, they list public safety as the goal. That is their supposed reasoning for the emergency designation for the bills.

Straight harassment

Yup. There's zero environmental nor personal risk due to lead at an outdoor range.

The only concern is when folks mine for it in burms if it has oxidized. Easily mitigated.

Similarly, indoor ranges with good ventilation, no risk.

So, yup, pure harassment as well as continual infringement.

NB, a California rich dude whom built a spare mansion next to the Ashland Gun Club attempted to have the club closed due to lead. The D-Nozzle lost.

Yep. Bet it passes too. We'll probably win in court but who knows.

Reloads are excluded because they aren't certified. If you don't shoot whitebread calibers, you're bubblegummed.

No 6mmbr. No Ackley improved. Nothing that actually works.

Just another CA scheme to "backdoor" (curtail) the legal shooting sports activities.

Aloha, Mark

P.S. I guess the WARNINGS about lead being a possible health hazard wasn't enough. Then again.... maybe it's because Californians save money on pacifiers and give their babies lead bullets to suck on?

Banned_in_CA.jpg

Last Edited:
Besides an increase in cost (initially) for "green" bullets I have a hard time seeing why this is a bad idea. We've long known that lead has some pretty undesirable effects on the environment and health and since there is a way now to produce projectiles with pretty much identical performance without a lead core why not embrace the change?

...We've long known that lead has some pretty undesirable effects on the environment and health and since there is a way now to produce projectiles with pretty much identical performance without a lead core why not embrace the change?

It's inconsequential both environmentally (ranges) & in the food chain (shot in birds, ex).

Now, there ARE defined risks. Smelting & indoor ranges without adequate ventilation ex. Both easily mitigated.

No change necessary. Don't act irresponsibly.

I don't need a nanny state telling me what to do, thanks.

Look at California gas can spouts for one of the most absurd and backwards mediations which causes far more problems than there ever were. And we still have to have them. G D Morons.

Besides an increase in cost (initially) for "green" bullets I have a hard time seeing why this is a bad idea. We've long known that lead has some pretty undesirable effects on the environment and health and since there is a way now to produce projectiles with pretty much identical performance without a lead core why not embrace the change?
One of many reasons to oppose this type of bill is because it would eliminate the option of handloading for range use.

It's inconsequential both environmentally (ranges) & in the food chain (shot in birds, ex).

Now, there ARE defined risks. Smelting & indoor ranges without adequate ventilation ex. Both easily mitigated.

No change necessary. Don't act irresponsibly.

I don't need a nanny state telling me what to do, thanks.

Look at California gas can spouts for one of the most absurd and backwards mediations which causes far more problems than there ever were. And we still have to have them. G D Morons.

I think one of the main concerns when it comes to gun ranges specifically (besides vaporized lead in the air) is lead contamination of ground water (PDF WARNING - EPA documentation on lead concerns for shooting ranges. Chapter 1, section I2 deals with this topic) . I don't know if contaminated water should be considered environmentally inconsequential when the only safe blood-lead level in animals and people is zero.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top