Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Other State California’s Background Check Law Had No Impact on Gun Deaths, Johns Hopkins Study Finds

Reactions
Without having read the article (no time right now), I still believe I’ll be correct in saying that the anti-rights interpretation of this result is, or will be, that even more gun laws are needed. And when those new laws have no effect ... well, you get the picture.

OP
The Heretic
Reactions
Without having read the article (no time right now), I still believe I’ll be correct in saying that the anti-rights interpretation of this result is, or will be, that even more gun laws are needed. And when those new laws have no effect ... well, you get the picture.
Of course. Because that is what they have said in the past. Not enough laws. Not enough taxes. Not enough social programs. We've been fighting the "war on [fill in blank]" for decades and the answer is always more, more, more.

GWS

Reactions
Anyone who lived in California and watched the news could have told you that background checks were worthless. Zero! Not one crime prevented and NO drop in crime. Instead it is just another hoop for the law abiding to jump through.
As ever gun control is about controlling citizens. Not criminals.

Reactions
Even though no one cares right now, these sorts of studies are important for the future. If we ever get the second amendment held to strict scrutiny, narrow tailoring and efficacy will be important determinants of whether or not an infringement is considered legal.

A study from a respected institution that proves that a gun-control measure has no effect will be great evidence have such a measure struck down.

OP
The Heretic
Reactions
It's cute some people think UBCs are about reducing crime. It's about getting guns on paper and keeping them that way.
I heard of another study done in a number of states - not sure how valid it is - that asserted that having a 'license' to purchase guns was more effective than BGCs.

BGCs are, as you say, about getting the guns on paper and keeping them there. Otherwise, why would they want the serial numbers, make/model/type/etc.? To check if they are stolen? How often do you hear of someone taking a stolen gun to an FFL to sell it? If they steal a gun, they would just sell it on the sly.

LATEST REVIEWS

• Northwest Arsenal
    4.00 star(s)
    I have been there at least a couples times. We popped in today to see if the had a PS90. They...
    • CountryGent
  • Sunset Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Great guy. I've done multiple private transfers over several years. Knowledgeable and thorough.
    • markebrit
  • J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    I've done many transfers with these guys. They know their stuff, they're very approachable and...
    • Art_Vandelay
  • J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    I've always felt comfortable at J&B, first time I ever went there I walked out with a new Glock...
    • Zapata47
  • Money Market Pawn Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    Maybe I'm biased since I live 5 minutes away, but Peter and his crew have always been friendly...
    • Zapata47

Staff online