JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
With the usual caveats/disclaimers aside (I know you are not giving legal advice, etc.), if a person wished to visit (as in not just passing thru - i.e. FOPA does not apply, but not taking up residence either - maybe staying a few days, no more than a week or two), what are the legalities on taking a semi-auto pistol into California?

It would be something like a SIG that normally has more than 10 round capacity, but for purposes of the visit, it would only have mags of ten round capacity or less.

What about something like a Kahr PM9 with 7+1 rounds?

While driving, it would be unloaded, separate from ammo, in a compartment separate from the driver/passenger compartment, probably a locked 'safe' of some sort in an RV.

Beyond that, what are the legalities of having same said pistol out in the boonies, open carry, loaded while hiking or riding motorcycles off-road?

Beyond that, what are the legalities of having the firearm inside the RV while camping and sleeping inside? In Calif., is an RV parked/camping considered to be a domicile and therefore laws for having a firearm inside the same as for having it inside a house?

Appreciate, if you can, links to authoritative sites, or cites of Calif. law.

Just trying to plan in advance of what I am safe to do when I retire and travel around. Yes, I know things could change in 2-3 years, but what is the Calif. law now?

TIA

There is no requirement in California to separate the ammo from the gun in the container. Unloaded and in a locked container is fine. Open carry is legal only in places where it is legal to shoot. You may be in a National Forest where it is legal to shoot but if you are traveling on roads within the forest, technically you must disarm while on the road. Honestly just conceal it. Your campsite is your home so you are allowed to be armed. same with RV. but like the poster above mentioned. Calguns is the spot.. . Check this thread out. It's a sticky on guns in the Forests. Firearms in Forests and Parks - Calguns.net

Why not just avoid going into California? :)
I'm going to Reno in October but won't drive through California to get there. Don't want to deal with it's crazy laws and don't want to spend a dime of my money there.

As of 2018 you cannot import ammo into the State. It must be purchased from a licensed dealer or FFL. So you can't bring it with you. it's been my experience they don't ask at the border crossing on I-5.

FWIW, when I moved here from PHX in 2007 I heard some bad things about traveling though CA with hi cap mags, so I called the State AG's office and inquired about traveling from AZ to OR with "Hi Cap" (sic) magazines and wanted to confirm that, I would be protected under the 1986 Federal Firearms Owners Protection Act. Specifically my concern was something along the lines of a flat tire that required me to unload my mini van and a friendly LEO happened to stop and help, and as a result 'caught' me with them. The very nice lady at the AG's office said that in a case like that I would most likely be arrested and I would be more than welcome to argue for protection under FOPA in my court hearing. o_O
So, I thought, I think I'm gonna reroute my trip. I wonder if anybody'd think I'd flipped if I came to Portland, via Omaha ;)

If it was me I would probably chose a revolver that was on the CA DOJ
(sic) approved list.

Takes a gun and ammo to commit a murder with a gun.

Remove either of those and you're fine.

They attempted to remove guns, which are serialized and are extremely scarce compared to ammo.

Crime still remains even tho they attempted to break the conditions required. As the crime continues, it indicates that they're ability to break the conditions is very low.

The response? Attempt to break the second element which is extremely hard to control. Great bubbleguming logic there.

Seriously that state is f-ed from the ground up if they can get people to agree that this is a viable solution. It essentially shows that any gun control law can be passed in California. They should just go for the all out semi auto ban and get it over with.

They attempted to remove guns, which are serialized and are extremely scarce compared to ammo.

Crime still remains even tho they attempted to break the conditions required. As the crime continues, it indicates that they're ability to break the conditions is very low.

The response? Attempt to break the second element which is extremely hard to control. Great bubbleguming logic there.

Seriously that state is f-ed from the ground up if they can get people to agree that this is a viable solution. It essentially shows that any gun control law can be passed in California. They should just go for the all out semi auto ban and get it over with.
They will within 2-3 years.

Ya gonna smuggle some ammoooo...
Buy some tell us ......feel safe??
No shizt...
Time for caseless ammo ..can I get 5 copies...how do I release my print jobs ??
Sick stuff.
..smell yer ammo in Redding
Oh Yeah they can tell NOW.
OURS STILL HAS GUN POWDER .
IT SUCKS...THINK WE COULD KEEP NORCAL?

CA is messed up and I'd have few issues if they kept it in State. But they mix it with high taxes and CA Residents beat feet and attempt to bring that crap here....Sadly

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top