JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi again.

I was wondering if anybody could tell me a good source on caliber diagrams...?

I want to create some of my own calibers, but I need the dimensions, both inside and out.
I've got Cartridges of the World, but it doesn't have all that I'm looking for.

Any info would help...
Thanks!
-K

When dreaming up wildcats, you shouldn't try to reinvent the wheel. There are a myriad of good cartridges available to change the neck diameter on and stuff in a different bullet.
If you want dimensions and capacities of existing designs, try this one:
<broken link removed>

Just remember that case capacities with water are measured at the top of the neck. Changing the neck size will change the capacity. Ideally, it would be nice if they were measured where the shoulder meets the neck (the base of the neck), but that's not the case (pun intended ;) ).

Howdy Spec,

There is a book (rather large and comprehensive) about Wildcat Cartridges (and I think that is the title). Perhaps another contributor here can supply the author and publisher, but a google/amazon search could probably produce it as well. Jaime makes a good point about trying to "reinvent the wheel". Just about everything has been dreamed up by guys just like you (and me) that devote alot of daydreaming to this pursuit. And very most often a factory (or former factory/"obsolete") cartridge does everything you want. You may get a lot of responses and suggestions if you post here what your goal is (caliber, velocity, firearm action type, and purpose) for your intended creation. I really thought I was on to something original with my .25 PPC, then when ordering dies I discovered one guy had ordered dies previously. Have fun and good luck!

Remember that the wheel was redesigned many times...;)
Stone wheels...wooden wheels...spoked-wheels...paddle wheels... alloy wheels...spinner rims!!! ;)

I'm a total tech nerd, and don't mind finding the one they missed...even if it means that I have to machine the damn things!!! ;p
I've got alloy casings I'd like to try also.

I'll be looking into the 4-D site!
Thanks for the help, and please keep it coming! :)
-K

It sounds like you're looking for inside dimensions as well as outside dimensions... I hate to be a bringer of bad news, but for the most part, nothing like that exists, commercial cases vary widely by manufacturer, and even lot to lot. This is part of the reason dedicated bench rest shooters weigh brass. The closest thing you're going to get are military production diagrams for different cases, these will outline the inside of the cartridge case, web/head thickness, as well as diamond point hardness the brass must be at after drawing. The reality is, if you really want solid numbers on this, you're going to have to make your own brass, or spend a lot of time cutting apart other people's brass. The other way you can go is to be a little bit more interpretive. If you know the external dimensions you can compute the volume. If you know how thick the brass is at certain points, you can make suppositions about how thick the brass is based on the weight of the cartridge (weight as it pertains to density will give you volume).

Closest thing I can think of would be any good reloading book. Like the New Speer book or the New Hornady book At least you would have all the external dimentions and of course the inside neck diameter would be a given for any caliber they show.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top