JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well with the fear of the anti gun wanting to come and try take our stuff and the though of having to bug out. Has anyone done any gun or food storage caches below ground or above ground.

If so what did you use and did you go back and dig up the below ground ones and see what affects the elements had on them.

Above ground, same question anything you would like to share about camouflaging, hiding, weather affects, were they discovered by anyone, what would you do differently??

I've pondered doing a test with some PVC (e.g. 8" in diameter, caps, sealant, and using a section about 4' long). For a test I'd put some stuff in there, a desiccant, seal it, and put it in the ground for a couple of months. I'd like to see how it holds up. I stopped at a Lowe's recently but they only had 4" PVC, so I'll probably expand my search after the holidays.

Peter

excellent article,

as the author stated he had painted the whole thing black but could not remember why, i have thought doing a similar project and painting mine black, but my logic for painting it black or brown is in case i have to cache it in the woods before burying it or after it is dug up, that wat it would blend in.

But on the other hand if I was carrying around a piece of pvc pipe in the back of my truck that was painted black it would stand out and make a person curious and ask whay I had painted it.

Aslo it the pipe was painted black, brown or any color and was tossed into a pile of pvc pipes it woudl automatically draw attention to itself and make a person curious enough to investigate, especially if the person was looking for hidden firearms.

As you can see there is logic to argue both sides of painting a tube to hide it or not to paint.

You're doing it wrong.

Hide them? Is that really going to solve anything?

Yes, there instances where a person may want to cache items, (reserves, extra food store, ammo, fuel) as reserves in case there place is burglarized or ramsacked while they are not there. It is a method of out of sight out of mind where if people do not know what you have or how much of it you do have, they decide what little they do know about is not worth the risk of losing life and limb for very little payoff.

Yes, there instances where a person may want to cache items, (reserves, extra food store, ammo, fuel) as reserves in case there place is burglarized or ramsacked while they are not there. It is a method of out of sight out of mind where if people do not know what you have or how much of it you do have, they decide what little they do know about is not worth the risk of losing life and limb for very little payoff.

Gotcha....I initially read this as "OMGineedtohidemygunzbeforedamancomez!!!"

Gotcha....I initially read this as "OMGineedtohidemygunzbeforedamancomez!!!"

Normally, I would agree with you. If its bad enough to bury, its bad enough to fight. But, honestly, friends who I consider sane, reasonable people, are starting to bury things, both figuratively and literally...

I am not going to bury anything. But that being said, I've at least started to pay better attention to what's going on...

Normally, I would agree with you. If its bad enough to bury, its bad enough to fight. But, honestly, friends who I consider sane, reasonable people, are starting to bury things, both figuratively and literally...

I am not going to bury anything. But that being said, I've at least started to pay better attention to what's going on...

Yup. Me too.

I've buried quite a bit of stuff over the years... out at the property me and some friends bought, there really is no secure storage, as any above ground building attracts more than enough unwanted attention from the local meth zombie population that it will get broken into if it goes untended long enough. What I did was store all my high dollar camping supplies that I keep out there (stove, propane, tent, sleeping bag etc.) in an open-top plastic drum. I buried it out of the way (so vehicles wouldn't drive over it), top end up, so I didn't have to dig the whole thing out every time I needed my gear. The drum top is about 6" under the sand (this was in the deserts of southern california), with a big plastic tarp over the top of the drum to keep water from intruding. Every time I got out there, I would pace off to where my stuff was, dig a trench around where the tarp was, and then simply pull the tarp to one side (taking most of the dirt with it). I would pull my junk out, and then cover it back up, camp for the weekend, and then unbury it again put my stuff back in, and cover the whole thing back up. Never had issues with water, even during a few wet winters out there where the low spots got transformed into lakes, and never had problems with my gear being damaged by being stored that way.

The biggest issue I had, was if you didn't tie everything to a long piece of rope or string, it could be damned impossible to get things out of the bottom. Also, any dirt that gets into your container when it's open pretty much stays there unless you get out the wet-dry vac, same thing applies to water.

Personally, I think buried treasure is a very underrated activity, it's certainly more secure than many other options.

Another one that works well, if you get one of those water meter things (the concrete ones, not the plastic ones) you can use that as a storage space as well, dig your hole, put in place, put some asphalt painted ammo cans in the bottom (these things ALWAYS fill with water), and then put a few inches of dirt over the cans. Also, if you use a cap that says "septic" or "sewer" it's chances of being disturbed are essentially nil.

Nothing is wrong with burying a cache of supplies....even guns and ammo. Should you fight for your supplies? Certainly..but who is to say that an unforeseeable incident doesn't preclude you from needing to run?

What if your house catches fire (i.e. someone throws a Molotov on it with you in it), what if the people coming for it have you way outgunned and outmatched?

Nothing is wrong with living to fight another day...but you will need the tools to do it properly. I say Cache away! But don't ever keep all your eggs in one basket (either on hand or cached).

I found a bundle of pvc for $30.00 an hour away I am going to go and buy this weekend and start cutting to proper sizes,

At first I was against the idea of burying stuff, then I got to thinking what happens if there is a fire, my place is burglarized while I am scavageing, and I asked myself what happens if I have to have some repairs done and some sees my stores and then shtf, I just think I would have better piece of mind knowing there are some things cached away in case I am forced to retreat and leave everything to the vultures. This way I would some stores put aside to keep me going.

3Ka3F33Hc5N65G25Mdcbc997efcf3370b14e7.jpg

3Ka3F33Hc5N65G25Mdcbc997efcf3370b14e7.jpg

I would go to underground utility contractors to find your pipe.
We always had at least a dump truck load of pipe to take to the dump.
That costs money.
You may get some larger pipes that you can store quite a bit in.Maybe some stuff they removed from the ground.The price per foot goes up exponentially as the pipe gets bigger,but if you find a piece with 2 spots that will take a cap,the middle can be deformed and still hold water.
Heck,if prepped properly,you could store water in ,say a piece of water pipe?

The place I always find big pipe and the stuff to go with it is the well drilling and industrial water places. Occasionally, you will find places that cater to agricultural customers that also have really big pipe and tube. A while ago I was helping out with a water project on my aunt's farm, they had some 2' diameter ABS pipe delivered I didn't even know it was made that big!

There is an article about a man who was stranded from a winter storm the rescuers couldnt get to him. They did know his location and got in touch with the land owner who was closest to him, but he couldnt get to him either. he did get in touch with the stranded man and gave him directions to a plastic 55 gal drum he had buried with supplies in it. The drum had tent, water, a 22 and some other stuff that got him thru the ordeal. When the land owner was asked why he had done that he replied to the effect of being out here you never know what is going to happen. I have several of these buried around the property for occasions like this.

I will try to find the article and post it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top