JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was watching some youtube videos on people digging up a cache after 1 year or two and some of the stuff was dry and looked like it did when they buried it while others were soaked, oxidized and basically ruined.

What I am wondering is one of them had silver in it and someone said plastic bags will "ruin" silver, why so?
Also I have noticed that some .45acp ammo I put in plastic bags looked oxidized after a while even though they were not buried and just ziplock bags.

All of them seal"a"mealed the bags by the way but some lost the vaccum being underground for a while.

Many plastic bags contain PVC (polyvinyl chloride.) This reacts with silver (copper, is even worse which explains your brass cased ammo problems) causing ugly green tarnish. Once started it is a pain to get rid of it as it will continue to tarnish even when removed from the bag.

I have had success removing the tarnish and stopping further PVC deterioration by washing the silver in acetone.

I would be afraid to bury a gun for fear that it would be all rusty when I dug it up even after oiling, but I would like to try as an experiment to bury some cheap ammo and such.
Ya never know if it would be the only gun you had left though after a swift sweep by our militarized government.

Sigh.........if it is time to bury your guns then it is time to dig them up.
Yep ,so many guns yet so few politicians. The problem is one person is unable to stand up to many . Yet most gun owners are not willing to do the most basic thing which would be to donate to pro gun organizations. Organizing for effectiveness is a different problem.

I would bet the early Americans would have kicked the tail of these communists long ago, Like first time they mentioned taking someones guns away?

Lowes sells 4" pvc pipe, 2ft long, 3.00, end cap, 2.00, flush out cap, 4-5.00. Little sealer, and you got the perfect water tight storage unit cheap! I've made them out of 8" pipe, that gets spendy, but what can be put into them, to me out weighs the cost. Just sayin..........

My brother in law, RIP, cached I know. Up to and including firearms at his BO location starting 20 years ago. I believe he started with TOW or LAW style shipping tubes, but not positive. I do know he had a heckuva a collection as he was a 3rd Class FFL and at one time owned more than ten "death's head Lugers". When he passed away I am pretty sure his sons exhumed them but I have not asked them the condition of the guns. I will next time I talk to one. Most the fun toys they have fired on Red Jacket that aren't customs he had. Solothurn, check, Ma Deuce, check, Jerry 42, check Damn I miss him.

Brutus Out

Lowes sells 4" pvc pipe, 2ft long, 3.00, end cap, 2.00, flush out cap, 4-5.00. Little sealer, and you got the perfect water tight storage unit cheap! I've made them out of 8" pipe, that gets spendy, but what can be put into them, to me out weighs the cost. Just sayin..........

Great advice, except I am not sure my landlord would like me digging up his near golfing green like lawn to cache.
Brutus Out

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads