JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It looks like you'll spend more in gas driving around to all those other stores trying to find what you want then if you just went to Cabelas in the first place, depending on what part of town you live in.

You bring up a great point, time and fuel do make a difference and all to often I am willing to just mail order / Internet shop items. The UPS and USPS both deliver lots of packages to my house and that does save time and travel. However, I would really prefer to support local businesses as that let me look at stuff before buying. Firearms and shoes are both solidly in the fit and feel is important enough that mail order is not an option for me.

The retail landscape is certainly changing and if I knew the right strategy, I'd be making solid billable hours consulting that service/knowledge out.

gun powder....did they have gun powder.???

Personally, I would not expect much in the way of 'discount' prices at a big box store like Cabelas',the overhead is just staggering. Neither would I expect to pay the high end of retail,but something more near the middle.

I've gotten some pretty good deals at Sportsmans this last year. They mostly match the prices I've seen at the major internet shops as well as when I was looking at pistols had the same prices I saw at the local discount shops like nwarmory. Yes, sometimes their inventory is a bit off, but anything they can't turn over in a reasonably short period of time eats up their profits (time = money, remember that most retailers finance much of their inventory). I have also encountered a lot of very knowledgeable staff who were more than friendly. I see them as a less opulent Cabellas with better prices.

As far as Cabellas itself goes, well I will go and window shop, but will probably use the close proximity to save shipping charges from the sales on their web site. Sad, because if they can't make sales they won't be able to support sales staff and ultimately the store itself. Maybe the prices are high for the grand opening and they are relying on hype and excitement to make extra money?

Although it's dangerous to compete on just price alone, this seems like a good opportunity for Sportsman's Warehouse to get more competitive. I'd like to see them lower their prices on ammo and certain firearms.

I realize their overhead is a lot more than a small gun shop that sells guns on Gunbroker.com, but Sportsman's pricing their pistols in the glass case at or very near the MSRP doesn't seem like it's be successful. The only people buying those would fall into 1 of 3 categories: first time gun buyers, people without an internet connection, and people who don't care about price.

I'd also like to see Sportsman's work a little harder on invetnory management: having enough different sizes of hunting clothing, gun holsters, etc., in stock. I know more inventory costs more money, but too many times all they have are XXL clothing hanging on the rack, or a ton of Springfield XD and Glock holsters but nothing for Sig, S&W, or 1911. So I have to buy holsters online, and go to Sport's Authority or Dick's for clothing.

If Sportsman's could reduce their prices just a bit and work on inventory, they might draw or keep people from Cabela's and sell more. This is only my opinion, based on having shopped at Sportsman's at both Johnson Creek and the one up in Vancouver for the past 10 or so years. I've been to the Lacey Cabela's a few times, and it's a good experience with decent selection of certain things, but their prices are too high on a lot of stuff, unless it's a clearance item.

The stuff in Cabellas Discount cave was higher than both fisherman's and sportsman's.
Cabellas has only one thing. Variety, they do not come close in pricing.

If you guys are going to big box stores looking for good/fair prices your crazy. You go to places like this for selection and to get your hands on something.
Personally, I go to places like cabelas, sportsmans, dicks, etc just to try something on or physically hold it to see if I like it then go buy it online and save 20-60%

I've gotten some pretty good deals at Sportsmans this last year. They mostly match the prices I've seen at the major internet shops as well as when I was looking at pistols had the same prices I saw at the local discount shops like nwarmory. Yes, sometimes their inventory is a bit off, but anything they can't turn over in a reasonably short period of time eats up their profits (time = money, remember that most retailers finance much of their inventory). I have also encountered a lot of very knowledgeable staff who were more than friendly. I see them as a less opulent Cabellas with better prices.

As far as Cabellas itself goes, well I will go and window shop, but will probably use the close proximity to save shipping charges from the sales on their web site. Sad, because if they can't make sales they won't be able to support sales staff and ultimately the store itself. Maybe the prices are high for the grand opening and they are relying on hype and excitement to make extra money?

Sportsman's Warehouse was the only place in town I found that had the Tikka I wanted, and they were within $20-25 of the internet price. They deserved my purchase.

FWIW...

When I bought my first black powder pistol around 8-10 years ago I bought it at Sportsman's Warehouse for the same price I could have bought it for with shipping from Cabellas. I always prefer to buy local, BiMart has always gotten a good percentage of my money when they have what I am buying. I may go out to Cabellas to look one of these days but probably will not go back. 80 mile round trip kills any urge to save $10-15.00. I went to Freys once or twice when they first opened but I haven't been there in years.

I was there today. Not impressed with their prices. I decided to buy one box each of Prvi Partizan ,22-250 and .30-30, and Herter's 7.62x39, some earplugs, and a 3-pack of black work socks. At the register, the cashier charged my .22-250 twice, charging me for two boxes instead of one. When I pointed out the mistake, he argued with me, even after I showed him where the mistake had been made. Finally, he insisted that the second line for $14.50 was for the 7.62x39. I said, "so, you're going to charge me almost $15 for a box of ammo that runs for $5.99?", left the merchandise at the register, and walked out.

I doubt I'll be back. I'll continue to get my ammo at Bi-Mart or on-line.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top