JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Silverton had when I was a Kid Coast to Coast on Main st. (with a gunsmith in the backroom) Carl Hande Hardware (a few guns but had the most amazing knife display cases) on the corner of Main and Water. A half block up on Water was Chucks Sporting goods (great gun counter and all the fishing and model airplane stuff you could ask for in a little town) And then just on the other side of Fishes Bakery (with the coffee counter and fresh donuts) Was Western Auto with a small display of firearms Bikes and all sorts of hardware. Ad then there was JC Pennys (with the mail order counter in the back they sold guns and ammo) and a small Wards mail order only store

this was all within a block and a half radius down town.

Now Silverfalls Pawn is our only gun shop (lots of new guns and lots of used guns all at very good prices) and ACE Hardware is our only hardware store and they sell Ammo (at full retail prices) but they do have a decent shooting/hunting dept.

It was very crazy today. Went there at 5pm and took 10 mins to find a parking spot. There were alot of people (staff included) running around. The people behind the counter were somewhat knowledgeable not the greatest but not big 5 bubblegumty. It will probably be busy for another couple months and hopefully it will calm down. Prices were pretty high but that's expected with a brand new store. Hopefully everything will work out.

Ya know what, The members got screwed over. The ones that were invited a day early. There were no giveaways or good buys or anything close.
Then the next day, they passed out to the first 500, gift certificates and some were up to $500.
Guess we know how they value established customers. Right along with the blue bagged stuff.
Yep I will probably continue to buy from Local shops as usual. :\
They also lied and said they would not have any 22 rimfire. Then today they suddenly put it out.
They invite their already good customers and screw them over so new ones could get the bennies. I find that a bit unethical. Clinched my opinion of them for a long time to come. Going to keep the money local to places like fishermen's, sportsman's, NW armory and CURT's, Riches.
They deserve it far more than Scabellas.

Last Edited:
Stopped by today. Prices were pretty high. $1000 for a used HiPower? $200 for a mosin?

But most of all, I was really disappointed with the terrible beef jerky selection. A couple of small stands in the isles and that's it. :)

No way I'm heading down these until some of the initial craziness dies down. Maybe in a week or two.

I sure hope this doesn't impact the existing gun store landscape too much.

No way I'm heading down these until some of the initial craziness dies down. Maybe in a week or two.

I sure hope this doesn't impact the existing gun store landscape too much.

I wont be buying there. Granted it is cool to see everything and I need to go back to their fancy used gun "museum" with a pipe and a smoking jacket, but not at those prices.

"a"? I think they made like a billion of them.. some cost more than a box a crackerjacks

Think this:
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1FNHPBP&name=FN Hi Power MK 3 9mm Pistol (Assembled in Portugal)&groupid=2058&fprdct=1

for $980-990 if I remember correctly. Perhaps it belonged to Elio Di Rupo. who knows

Ya know what, The members got screwed over. The ones that were invited a day early. There were no giveaways or good buys or anything close.
Then the next day, they passed out to the first 500, gift certificates and some were up to $500.
Guess we know how they value established customers. Right along with the blue bagged stuff.
Yep I will probably continue to buy from Local shops as usual. :\
They also lied and said they would not have any 22 rimfire. Then today they suddenly put it out.
They invite their already good customers and screw them over so new ones could get the bennies. I find that a bit unethical. Clinched my opinion of them for a long time to come. Going to keep the money local to places like fishermen's, sportsman's, NW armory and CURT's, Riches.
They deserve it far more than Scabellas.
I went on the 17th....22lr was in stock...

I wont be buying there. Granted it is cool to see everything and I need to go back to their fancy used gun "museum" with a pipe and a smoking jacket, but not at those prices.

Me, neither, but I'm not too proud to admit that I don't like to go into places, stare at all the impressive trophies and displays, and take it all in, hahah.

I went on the 17th....22lr was in stock...

I went on the 17th also and they said they would not have any 22 LR,
Lies or just didn't want people to know.
Anyway, I got angry thinking about it and went in today and a spoke to a MGR of the day, and expressed my feelings about how they handled the special invitation day for long time customers and that they did it very wrong. He actually told me that there were others that had stated the same thing and they were taking it up with their corporate people to change the way they do it. To make amends, he actually went back and got me and my wife each a brick of 525's. That soothed things a little, but many signs that went up for the grand opening were not there on the 17th. Or they were well hidden. Also they did NOT offer the first (number) of customers gift cards with a $500 prize on out on the 17th.
They only did that for the general customer base. Again not a proper way to treat established customers.
Again he agreed and offered us a gift card, and we declined. I was fine with the fact they recanted the story of not having any 22LR, and did not need anything else. It was the fact I needed to let them know that it was just the wrong way to do things that I wanted to express. I was pleased that he actually agreed and admitted that others has stated that to him as well.

My son had up a pass for the Wednesday preview of the Cabela's pre grand
opening day. He was excited about their assurances that there would be
.22 ammo when he picked up the pass where he works.

There was not.

What they did have in the store was priced at the very highest end of retail in my
opinion. Their new firearms selection was good, but every thing was at the highest
end of marked retail prices that I can recall.

The used firearms section was where I was totally amazed. Their asking prices
for used arms were twice or more of what I have bought at recently.

We left after much browsing as no .22 ammo showed up. I was impressed at the
breadth of what they had in stock, but not inspired enough to buy anything after
adjusting for sticker shock.

I will likely go back to Cabela's in the future, but they will be at the end
of my shopping trip if I have not found what I am looking for elsewhere.

The trip order will likely be: Bi-Mart, Fisherman's, Big-5, Keith's, Dicks, NON-Discount Guns, then finally Cabela's.

The trip order will likely be: Bi-Mart, Fisherman's, Big-5, Keith's, Dicks, NON-Discount Guns, then finally Cabela's.

It looks like you'll spend more in gas driving around to all those other stores trying to find what you want then if you just went to Cabelas in the first place, depending on what part of town you live in.

It says something if they are two behind Dick's in the priority list. Sounds like they need a reality check.

I felt pretty baited and switched in Cabela's. I had gone with the intent to pick up a new rifle (95% certainty). They had included several very attractively priced guns in the flyer that was an insert in the news paper this week too. Of the three I asked to look at after having seen them in the advertisement, the two that I most wanted were "not in stock" and the third was not so quite attractive after holding. They told me they may get the others in before the end of the sale, but would not agree to call me or give me a date it would be in. The onus was put on me to call them every day to see what they had in stock.

To add to the insult the guy at the counter also said there were several in the Springfield store if I wanted to drive down there--oh and that would not be at the special GRAND opening sales price either. They made no offer to get them brought up. Although they smiled a lot and kept asking how they could help, Follow up / Follow Through was completely absent.

Maybe all of that is new store growing pains. They can learn with somebody else.

What they did have in the store was priced at the very highest end of retail in my opinion. Their new firearms selection was good, but every thing was at the highest
end of marked retail prices that I can recall. .

Although it's dangerous to compete on just price alone, this seems like a good opportunity for Sportsman's Warehouse to get more competitive. I'd like to see them lower their prices on ammo and certain firearms.

I realize their overhead is a lot more than a small gun shop that sells guns on Gunbroker.com, but Sportsman's pricing their pistols in the glass case at or very near the MSRP doesn't seem like it's be successful. The only people buying those would fall into 1 of 3 categories: first time gun buyers, people without an internet connection, and people who don't care about price.

I'd also like to see Sportsman's work a little harder on invetnory management: having enough different sizes of hunting clothing, gun holsters, etc., in stock. I know more inventory costs more money, but too many times all they have are XXL clothing hanging on the rack, or a ton of Springfield XD and Glock holsters but nothing for Sig, S&W, or 1911. So I have to buy holsters online, and go to Sport's Authority or Dick's for clothing.

If Sportsman's could reduce their prices just a bit and work on inventory, they might draw or keep people from Cabela's and sell more. This is only my opinion, based on having shopped at Sportsman's at both Johnson Creek and the one up in Vancouver for the past 10 or so years. I've been to the Lacey Cabela's a few times, and it's a good experience with decent selection of certain things, but their prices are too high on a lot of stuff, unless it's a clearance item.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top