JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not all that exciting.. if Cabela was really serious about the Oregon market, they would have built a store closer to the Portland metro area. The Springfield store is almost half the size of the Washington store it really isn't worth a special trip.

Not all that exciting.. if Cabela was really serious about the Oregon market, they would have built a store closer to the Portland metro area. The Springfield store is almost half the size of the Washington store it really isn't worth a special trip.

There are plans to build a Cabela's in Oregon City.

Still, at 58,000 square feet I wouldn't call it a "small" store AND you can have stuff shipped to store for free which is a good deal if you live close enough to make driving less expensive than shipping.

Really you think Portland is a more cetral location then Springfield. You guys gotta stop thinking your the center of the state. Not to mention you already have a bunch of places to buy outdoor and sporting gear. No reason the rest of us have to drive to Portland all the time.

And Portland is closer for me then Springfield by 35 min. But Oregon is a BIG state and geographically Portland is a small pimple

I read (If I remember correctly) in the local Roseburg paper that Springfield was chosen because the site by I-5 and the financials were too good for Cabellas to pass up. The other deciding factor was their market research showing the area of the central and southern I-5 corredor having a high proportion of sporting and outdoor oriented population.

My Dad and I went today for the ceremony and opening. What a zoo. I knew better. You couldnt even walk around let alone shop. I will be waiting for a few wks b4 going back.

I read (If I remember correctly) in the local Roseburg paper that Springfield was chosen because the site by I-5 and the financials were too good for Cabellas to pass up.
No doubt the store has good I-5 visibility. You could throw a rock from your car as you drive by and hit the front door (almost).

See you all there on May 19 at opening time. Should be less busy by then.

The guy at the gun counter at the Lacey store told me that the wait time there on the weekend can be up to 2 hours.

Really you think Portland is a more cetral location then Sprignfield. You guys gotta stop thinking your the center of the state. Not to mention you already have a bunch of places to buy outdoor and sprting gear. No reason the rest of us have to drive to portland all the time.

And Portland is closer for me then Springfield by 35 min. But Oregon is a BIG state and geographically Portland is a small pimple

The Portland Metro area alone has 2+ million, the Eugene/Springfield less than 200k.

If you're going to tap a new market you go for the gold and serve the biggest. People choose to live outside of a major metro area, they have to live with the cons of rural services.

And all the Plus's And I sure wouldn't call Eugene/Springfield rural.

Silverton or Mt Angel or Scotts Mills maybe Stayton are rural Not Eugene Springfield.

Metro area is getting a Cabela's. Oregon City is the most likely site, read up on the "River's Project." And I know they have checked out the huge chunk of land behind the Costco and Target in Wilsonville. So, Oregon is getting 2 Cabela's!

From what I understand is that Cabelas is trying a new marketing aproach of building one or two smaller satalite stores withen a few hundred miles of the bigger stores.
The Springfield gateway mall project is a win/win for them. That mall was dying fast and needed a big name to pull in customers so I'm willing to bet Cabelas got in there almost for free. Also not a bad idea for the location is near the McKenzie river which has become a fly fishing mecca in the last few years.

I shopped there today - crowd was not bad. They had what I wanted, for about what I'd pay Midway or another online supplier. Nice store, friendly and helpful employees. Not as many decorations as the Lacey store and no restaurant, darn it. And it's only a 25 minute drive from my house. I'll be back!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top