JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was in Cabelas today.

Mostly overpriced stuff. A lot of the Cabelas branded stuff was obviously rebranded from other brands (e.g., Columbia shirts).

I only bought one thing - some Remington cam wrap decals marked down from $15 to $2.50

They did have some interesting stuff, but like I said, almost all of it was overpriced, very little on sale.

I had not been in a Cabelas for a few years because they were just too far away until recently but I do recall them being more reasonable on prices - not discount level, but reasonable.

Enough ranting on that.

What caught my eye was an octagon barreled lever action.

Now I have always had a thing for octagon barrels because that is what I grew up with:

10712830_303288126532726_3962945901327460712_n.jpg

That is me over 35 years ago out in the coast range when I was in the USCG. The rifle is a family heirloom; a Winchester '94 in .30-30 with a 26" - my grandfather bought that rifle for a little bit of cash and some whiskey from a Trask Native American and it is still in the family (will come back to me when my eldest brother decides to let it go).

I like Marlins better than Winchesters.

I had a stainless Marlin (with JM markings) in .45-70 with a round 20" barrel but I sold it because I really wanted one with an octagon barrel and I wanted it to be a shorter barrel.

So this rifle in Cabelas had an 18.5" octagon barrel and was in .45-70. Nothing fancy about it. Straight grip. No checkering. Blued. Tag said it was a "Cabelas Exclusive". $790

I can't find anything online about it except on the Cabelas website.

If it was stainless I would have bought it right then.

I've heard the quality of Marlins have recovered lately. I wasn't that impressed with the wood fitting on the stainless one I had and it was pre "Remlin".

I am debating whether to get this rifle.

I would strongly prefer stainless. I guess I could have the rifle refinished with some kind of more durable finish. I prefer matte, so just about anything that is durable and corrosion resistant would be good I guess, but I would really like the barrel bore to be treated as well. Is melonite good for this?

I would eventually send the rifle off for action work, ported, metal treated and probably a different stock - maybe synthetic.

Now - tell me why - why - should I not do this?

Or should I?

Have at it. :D

I think it would go well with my 329PD.

This is the rifle online:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Marlin174-Model-1895-Cowboy-Lever-Action-Rifle/1822187.uts

They make it sound like something special, but it is just the 1895 Cowboy cut down.

I would have the action done, barrel ported, get a loop like this or similar:

254.jpg

Have it melonited, put a ghost ring sight on it with a screw in aperture, fiber optic front sight, and a Scout Scope.

Not sure what kind of stock I would get. Too bad Hogue doesn't make any lever action stocks for Marlins. I suppose I could get a laminated stock set and skeletonize it. I might try that with the stocks that come with the rifle to see how well it would work out.

Brockmans has some interesting accessories.

All this money into a rifle I will probably never use as I don't go hunting anymore. :rolleyes:

I was in Cabelas today.

Mostly overpriced stuff. A lot of the Cabelas branded stuff was obviously rebranded from other brands (e.g., Columbia shirts).

I only bought one thing - some Remington cam wrap decals marked down from $15 to $2.50

They did have some interesting stuff, but like I said, almost all of it was overpriced, very little on sale.

I had not been in a Cabelas for a few years because they were just too far away until recently but I do recall them being more reasonable on prices - not discount level, but reasonable.

Enough ranting on that.

What caught my eye was an octagon barreled lever action.

Now I have always had a thing for octagon barrels because that is what I grew up with:

View attachment 112259

If it was stainless I would have bought it right then.

I've heard the quality of Marlins have recovered lately. I wasn't that impressed with the wood fitting on the stainless one I had and it was pre "Remlin".

I am debating whether to get this rifle.

I would strongly prefer stainless. I guess I could have the rifle refinished with some kind of more durable finish. I prefer matte, so just about anything that is durable and corrosion resistant would be good I guess, but I would really like the barrel bore to be treated as well. Is melonite good for this?

I would eventually send the rifle off for action work, ported, metal treated and probably a different stock - maybe synthetic.

If you want the ULITMATE finish when it comes to durability and especially corrosion resistance, then send the rifle to robarguns.com. They will treat ALL METAL PARTS with their NP3 finish. Nothing is more corrosion resistant than NP3. Cost for an entire lever action rifle is $395

But boy, it will also look like a million bucks too! Checkout this Marlin treated with NP3:

P1010271.jpg

Two reasons I would prefer meloniting:

1) It isn't a coating. It is a treatment that penetrates into the steel.

2) It does not change the dimensions. I want the bore of the barrel treated too and I do not want that to change dimensionally and I don't want it to wear any faster than it would before treatment.

I don't know of very many metal coatings where they recommend treating the bore (including the chamber) - meloniting does include the bore including the chamber and the erosion of the treatment is at least as durable as the untreated metal, and most say it is better even than a chrome lined bore.

The chamber and the barrel rifling are where I would most want any kind of corrosion resistance as they are most likely to experience it. Most of the rest of the firearm is either cosmetic or usually lubricated. Even before the first shot the bore and barrel are generally bare steel - no coating, except possibly for a thin film of rust preventative.

I wouldn't mind have the rest of the firearm treated with some kind of slick coating, but meloniting in itself improves lubricity and I would want at least the barrel melonited. While that is happening, I might as well have the whole rifle treated too.

As for hunting. I probably won't ever deer hunt again - I don't care for deer meat and neither do my kids - my parents loved it but my father passed away some time ago and my mom is in managed care.

I might elk hunt again some day, but for that I might use my father's Springfield - it worked well enough for him - he got an elk almost everytime he went hunting.

I was thinking this might be a good rifle for pig hunting under certain conditions.

I had all of my fighting self-defense pistols treated with NP3, including my S&W M&P, which came from the factory with a Melonite slide. Nothing else provides lubrication like NP3. It is really quite eye-opening to experience. My pistols are so smooth and slick now. And every single metal part in each gun was treated, including the barrel and bore.

DSC_2938b.jpg

Yes - I've seen WW's guns. They are nice.

Not sure that I want one though - at least not at their prices.

I was looking online at the Browning BLR lightweight stainless takedowns.

Not octagon barrel, not a conventional lever action like the Marlin or the Winchester, but for the price ~$1200 you get a stainless takedown, with a Scout Scope mount, light weight and your choice of rimless chamberings.

I would have the barrel cut down to 16" though. That might make a nice brush rifle - but then so would an AK.

Still thinking about it.

The Cabelas rifle I think I will pass on - I would have the barrel cut down and it doesn't cost any more to cut down one that is 24" than it does to cut down one that is 18.5" - except possibly for the magazine.

Phil Simonski past away 5 years ago, but he was easily the greatest Coyote hunter that ever lived in the state of Oregon. And he nailed all of his Coyotes using a Browning BLR in .22-250. He absolutely loved shooting his BLR. It was so accurate, and he loved the way that it handled.

His book on Coyote hunting is the best that has ever been written on the subject. It is a great read for anyone wanting to take up the sport.

tail.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads