JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Love it, but they've been fighting that ban (SB-23) since 2000.
But conservative judges are being appointed (Thanks, Mr. President) and that may change the playing field
Good luck, California shooters! thumbsup.gif

Last Edited:
I read that this case, originally being heard by Judge John A. Houston, has been reassigned to Judge Roger T. Benitez. Yes, the Judge Benitez that recently ruled California's magazine ban violates the Second Amendment.

Details (last updated 2019-12-23) of this lawsuit challenging California's ban on so-called "assault weapons" can be found here.

The document PLAINTIFFS' MEMORANDUM OF POINTS AND AUTHORITIES IN SUPPORT OF MOTION FOR PRELIMINARY INJUNCTION is worth reading, especially considering the attacks on 2A rights that we have already seen, and will be seeing here in Oregon and Washington in the coming months.

Here's a small sample of supporting arguments:

Semiautomatic firearms with various popular characteristics are among the most common arms in the country ... The State disparagingly and arbitrarily calls the entire class of such firearms "assault weapons," ... law-abiding citizens throughout the country own tens of millions of such firearms and use them for lawful purposes, including self-defense, proficiency training, sport, and hunting. And these firearms—neither uniquely dangerous nor unusual—are rarely used in crime.
Tens of millions of common semiautomatic firearms with various combinations of common characteristics banned by California are possessed throughout the United States and are widely used for lawful purposes. The characteristics California uses to define "assault weapons," individually and collectively, are neither unusual nor dangerous. They instead provide material benefits to millions of law-abiding firearm users, including improved ergonomics, enhanced control and accuracy while firing, and safer operation.
Far from being the menacing hazards California implies when it categorizes firearms with such characteristics as "assault weapons," these firearms are instead a meaningfully safer and more controllable category of firearms in common use for lawful purposes.
  • The AWCA's Complete Ban on Commonly Owned Firearms Violates the Second Amendment Under Heller's Categorical Analysis.
  • The AWCA Bans Arms in "Common Use."
  • Firearms Covered by California's Ban Are Well-Suited for Self-Defense.
  • Firearms Covered by California's Ban Are Well-Suited for Militia Service.

Last Edited:
Benitez getting the case is great news. He is a man who has read and respects the Constitution.

The document PLAINTIFFS' MEMORANDUM OF POINTS AND AUTHORITIES IN SUPPORT OF MOTION FOR PRELIMINARY INJUNCTION is worth reading, especially considering the attacks on 2A rights that we have already seen, and will be seeing here in Oregon and Washington in the coming months.

Holy Cow -- what an awesome link! That's an enormous data dump. I read the complaint and then started looking at the declarations. The first one is by a firearm historian and has pictures of very old firearms with folding stocks, forward grips -- I really need to sit down with that.

Also, starting at about page 617, is a complete copy of John Lot Jr's book "More Guns Less Crime" -- it's part of his declaration so if you ever wanted a free copy, well there it is.

This is going to be an interesting case -- the Plaintiffs here are not fooling around!

It's an absolute treasure trove, especially the FPC link. I've only begun to read through, but it looks like these guys really did their homework.

Indeed! At 1227 pages, there's so much to digest. CA isn't getting out of this with mere handwaving BSery.

I see that Alan Gotlieb and SAF are involved as well. Things like this always make me feel good about my SAF donations.

This is the kind of green new deal I could get behind:
View attachment 647172
notice marion county isnt green. marion county's sheriff is very pro 2A and also the marion county commissioners signed a "we will not enforce anti gun laws" letter when sb941 came out. not sure whatever happened to marion countys 2A sanctuary deal. i think it didnt get put on the ballot IIRC.

notice marion county isnt green. marion county's sheriff is very pro 2A and also the marion county commissioners signed a "we will not enforce anti gun laws" letter when sb941 came out. not sure whatever happened to marion countys 2A sanctuary deal. i think it didnt get put on the ballot IIRC.
I was wondering what was up with those two counties in the southeast corner...

That bottom gun is a Colt 1851 Navy with a detachable shoulder stock...kinda uncommon...
Mostly it was the Colt 3rd model Dragoon and 1860 Army model that could use a shoulder stock.
These are not braces....
Be that as it may...
The gun in the picture is just a cap and ball revolver....
Andy

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top