JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Handgun sales will not cease. Semi auto sales will decrease while revolver sales will skyrocket.
Meanwhile, criminals will continue to get non- micro stamped semi auto handguns from theft, black market, etc.

Or they will simply file off the stamp. I mean if you're planning on a drive by or other violent crime are you going to worry about running afoul of the micro stamping law?

So my question is on the firing pin micro stamping, how many times will that firing pin hit the primer before the stamping is not readable?

Handgun sales will not cease. Semi auto sales will decrease while revolver sales will skyrocket.
Meanwhile, criminals will continue to get non- micro stamped semi auto handguns from theft, black market, etc.

Or they will simply file off the stamp. I mean if you're planning on a drive by or other violent crime are you going to worry about running afoul of the micro stamping law?

Why would they worry about getting a micro stamped gun, or why would they even bother to file it off.

If they are criminals they guns are probably illegal any ways , which means 90-95-% of the it can't be traced back to them anyways , unless they borrowed from a relative or something.

The problem with the "microstamping" law, which was signed into law by then-Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger
Either I wasn't paying attention at the time or didn't know but what specifically does the microstamping 'law' do/say, IE what does it 'usher' in? (short version please)

Not a gunsmith here by any stretch but as it may be possible to microstamp a variety of stamps, I don't think the variety is infinite. The cost of record keeping data bases would be crazy!
Maybe the technology/cost basis is there to match/prove all casings were from an SR9 sold between 20016 & 2018. Every two years a model # gun changes their stamp.

Of course it's still a stupid idea! Bad guys will still steal guns and kill people not caring if the gun is stamped.
Other crooks will file it off if it isn't already worn off.
The most sinister evil doers will have extra firing pins or borrowed firing pins or even their own microstamper.

Seriously, they should be required to take a test before passing laws. I have to do continuing education and pass certification tests. Our legislators seriously need to actually learn about what they are passing.

"You are about to vote on a law that involves firearms. The following exam will test your basic knowledge on firearms related to this bill. You must score at least a 80% to be able to vote on this legislation"

Not a gunsmith here by any stretch but as it may be possible to microstamp a variety of stamps, I don't think the variety is infinite. The cost of record keeping data bases would be crazy!
Maybe the technology/cost basis is there to match/prove all casings were from an SR9 sold between 20016 & 2018. Every two years a model # gun changes their stamp.

The point is that every firing pin to have its own serial number, every stamp to be unique.

One concern is someone picking up YOUR fired brass and it ends up at a crime scene.

How the hell can the prosecution prove the chain of evidence!

The point is that every firing pin to have its own serial number, every stamp to be unique.
That's what they want, but can't accurately and reliably achieve I believe. Or at least the gun makers say they can't cost effectively.
If they went forward with this asinine idea I don't think enough space exists on the head of the firing pin to make a readable serial # stamp unique to each gun. Especially after some wear degrades it.

One concern is someone picking up YOUR fired brass and it ends up at a crime scene.

How the hell can the prosecution prove the chain of evidence!
Yes I forgot about that one. Like the script of an old episode of Columbo. Set up your business partner with the old microstamped brass trick!

Could you imagine criminals just going to a range, finding some dirty brass and planting it at the scene? Just another stupid law that sounds good to people who know nothing about guns. "If it saves one life"

Could you imagine criminals just going to a range, finding some dirty brass and planting it at the scene? Just another stupid law that sounds good to people who know nothing about guns. "If it saves one life"

I think you are over estimating the mental power of your average criminal. Plus if there was a microstamp on my ammunition, I'd personally collect and catalog them and document destruction of every single one of them. Who would leave what basically is their guns fingerprint anywhere?

The best way to "fix" this situation would be for every last company that sells anything firearms related to California law enforcement to simply say no more sales in your crazy state until the laws are thrown out! No pistols, rifles, shotguns, optics, holsters, parts, ammo, nothing!

Of course it's still a stupid idea! Bad guys will still steal guns and kill people not caring if the gun is stamped.
Other crooks will file it off if it isn't already worn off.
The most sinister evil doers will have extra firing pins or borrowed firing pins or even their own microstamper.
Well like the ammo manufacturers told NY,they would have to leave because the micro BS would cost too much.
I'm guessing the manufacturers will make a small amount of CA legal guns at a large premium.
And as stated above,driving the cost of used guns way high.
But CA makes you transfer guns at the FFl,so will they try to make you change your pin?
Doesn't each firing pin make a unique dent anyway?

The best way to "fix" this situation would be for every last company that sells anything firearms related to California law enforcement to simply say no more sales in your crazy state until the laws are thrown out! No pistols, rifles, shotguns, optics, holsters, parts, ammo, nothing!

That would be falling prey right into the anti gunners hands. I think they should all sell guns there at reduced prices, kind of like what magpul did to Colorado before they left. Get as many guns as you can into the state just to make the antis happy.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top