JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This all stemmed from a single person's perspective of a single county and a single repeater, where the group did not want to comply with a few regulations. This story has been thoroughly debunked on the Ham Radio web sites ... Oh Woe is me, the end is near ....
Gotta remember, EVERYTHING you read / hear / see on the Internet is THE ABSOLUTE TRUTH!

Whether invited to participate in a disaster relief effort or not, HAMS will be very effective in setting up communications, even without the co-ordination of government agencies. Perhaps better since it isn't so structured. Go where there's a need, and get the job done by whatever means are available ....

Somebody got their panties in a knot, and put out a wah wah video and everybody took it at face value.

Good lesson ... check your facts!

'73' Kevin K7ZS

Kevin - fill us in with facts.

What I have heard from a couple of HAM operators who work with emergency situations, that is they actively participate in drills,
is that that the redundant repeaters are getting removed. "Rack space is not free" IF you have 2 devices which cover the same bands, then one is not really needed at the location. You may want to have the back up in the closet for the cases where the primary fails. And, depending upon location you may need the principle followed : Two is one, one is none.

But do share facts, we do want to be properly informed.

thanks

WHY is anyone with any brains and/or money that is untaxed (HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Untaxed money in Commiefornia! I crack me up!) still there? Sure I got some friends who moved there, most moved out, one moved to the middle of no where and likes it as he is left alone, the question still remains, why is anyone with a brain still there? No power, no ham radio, no ammo, no guns, dog stepping in human waste, I just don't get it.

i-m-from-the-government-i-m-here-to-help.png

Aloha, Mark

SO much written on the topic, I'll just provide a Radio related thread from a radio site. Ultimately, this is an isolated situtation that was portrayed to be the entire state's attitude toward Ham Radio repeaters ... just not the case ... Overall the Amateur Radio Community is still considered a valuable resource, through CERT participation, as well as pure amateur RACES and ARES organizations. Many hams today are hams solely for EMCOM. But as with any 'chain of command' situation, somebody has to be 'the boss' and the amateur volunteers are not always respected or valued by 'those in charge'.
Plenty of reading here:

-Kevin

Got comms?...

from this WSJ article on October 30, 2019:

Power shutdowns in the state meant to prevent further fire risk have cut power to some cell towers, as well as to cable providers that sell home voice services along with television programming and internet access. The shutdowns have left hundreds of thousands of customers cut off from emergency alerts, loved ones and in some cases, access to 911.

Even redundancy measures by carriers and tower companies have been inadequate for delivering wired and wireless communications services amid dayslong outages. Some wireless companies have deployed teams to refuel generators or transported backup generators from other states because they have become harder to source. Refueling can be difficult or dangerous in some areas.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top