JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I hate being a naysayer, but I gotta ask: Why bother?
To answer your question (and agree with DLS) It took about six weeks (a few years ago) to get mine, and about four to renew when I missed the date. I've since let it expire and have no plans to get it back since it has been neutered in this state.

It has been so long, I don't recall. The six week-ish figure sounds right. The 01 FFL (Dealer) license I applied for took a few months from end to end, but that is more involved.

And @BoringCruffler makes a good point; C&R licenses are a little pointless now in the Beaver state. :(

I hate being a naysayer, but I gotta ask: Why bother?
To answer your question (and agree with DLS) It took about six weeks (a few years ago) to get mine, and about four to renew when I missed the date. I've since let it expire and have no plans to get it back since it has been neutered in this state.
What do you mean neutered? I've been interested in getting one but, if you could elaborate maybe I'll stop pursuing the thought.

Last Edited:
The primary 'purpose' of a 03FFL or C&R License is for collectors to be able to purchase firearms that meet the ATF's definition of a collectible item which they spell out as a 'Curio or Relic' directly, without going to the extra time and expense of purchasing them through a 01FFL or Firearms Dealer.

With Brownstain's signing of SB941 (and immediately upon signing it because it was an emergency to make sure all those collectors had to pay an extra $30-50 for that 1921 Stevens single-shot that was worth $45 originally), she negated that option in Oregon. Now ALL firearms transfers in Oregon have to go through a 01FFL to be legal.

Edit: I'm aware of the family exemption, but that's not what the 03FFL was for...

Last Edited:
He_s_Right.png
But since it was done in the name of SAFETY? :eek:

Aloha, Mark

As others have said; SB941 essentially neutered the use/purpose of an FFL03. Which is ironic in that using an FFL03 actually is more stringent than just passing a regular background check, including features that gun-control activists harp for.

If you search in these forums back into the months around when SB941 became effective, there were some FFL03 holders that went the 9 yards to see how it affected the license, including seeking legal advice. The lawyers thought that, if someone was exercising their license in conformance with the law, they would most likely win in court. But who wanted to be the tip of the spear to test it? (and risk getting a criminal history by a biased judge).

The real grey areas come around for transfers from out-of-state directly to you, or doing a transfer to-from completely outside the state of Oregon. (you would still be following federal law, but maybe break Oregon law since you still are considered a resident of the state).

There are some benefits, such as discounts at some online stores. So the license could end up paying for itself that way.

I was under the impression if you have C&R license, it gives the Feds license to come in to you home/business and see what you have. Firearms and paperwork. If so, do you really want to go down down that road?

I was under the impression if you have C&R license, it gives the Feds license to come in to you home/business and see what you have. Firearms and paperwork. If so, do you really want to go down down that road?

That is one of the Baba Yaga stories that FFLs tell non-FFLs to avoid the competition. The ATF can audit your FFL records (Bound Book and Complinace Inspection), but only during 'normal business hours'. 03 FFLs can comply by taking their book to the ATF office. They can only do a compliance inspection once per year, and there are some pretty significant limitations on what and where they can look.

If the ATF can get a judge to sign off on it, they can do the old 4AM inspection whether you have an FFL or not...

Also, there are like 3 ATF field agents in the PDX district and maybe 4 in the Seattle office.. If you really think that they are going to go search 03 holders houses among all the things they could be doing then stay away from the license!

Mine still works in Washington. As long as I stay within the C&R world. I've had a license since 2001 and never had the ATF knocked at my door or ask for my bound book. I don't buy like I used too but still mange to trade one here or there.

I'm confused now. In Washington, I594 limited all firearms except 'antique' to be mailed, transferred via FFL. Their definition of antique means any firearm made before 1895.

Does this mean, C&R is mailed to a FFL but no NICS check?

The C&R license holder is a licensed FFL. As long as the transferred gun is listed in ATF record as a C&R. It is permissible to be transferred via interstate commerce. The C&R licensee is not an special occupation taxpayer (SOT). C&R license es are not exempt from laws requiring SOT status. Like manufacturing suppressors and cannot operate a business selling firearms.

Shipping, trading, selling to enhance a collection are legal for C&R firearms. So part A of RCW applies.

Little known fact. You can purchase non-C&R/non-NFA long guns, shotguns and pistols in other states. If the transaction is conducted in person with a C&R license. Most FFL business owners won't do it, but it is legal. The only problem is if you purchase something that is unlawful to possess in your home state you could be in trouble.

Another little known fact. All legal registered transferable machine guns are now C&R and can be transfered directly to a C&R license holder after the tax stamp is approved. In Washington it doesn't apply, but anywhere it is legal to do so it works.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top