JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm thinking about getting a C&R but I've also been considering a regular. I've been in the business, off and on for 40 years and have yet had the pleasure of a single visit. I keep my records correct and don't really worry about things I can't control. They are supposed to be visiting every FFL Dealer once a year. Personally, I don't think they do their visiting unless there's a flag on the file for some reason. I know of a recent "Visit" that had a "reason" so I'm not surprised. The Shop had sold some Ammunition to one of the recent Shooters that had been in the News. They hadn't done anything Wrong but it did take a couple of days away from their business dealings.

I think with C&R's, they offer the option of taking your Bound Book into the local ATF office.
I've been looking and have not seen or heard anything about that. I'd rather let them do their job and come to see me if they want. The local BATFE Office is in Downtown Seattle and that is NOT a nice place to visit and parking fees will bankrupt a small business owner. And, that ain't No Joke.

I had a C&R license for a long time and had one and only one inspection from the ATF. It consisted of a compliance inspector checking my bound book and him going over current regulations. My records were in order, so that took a matter of minutes. His script on federal statutes went a little longer, but it was no big deal. He was friendly, answered a few questions I had, and thanked me for my time. That was it.

I've known other C&R licensees who never had a visit and I recall the inspector mentioning they only audit a tiny fraction of C&R holders. There was also a kitchen table 01FFL here in town that had a license for almost two decades who told me me he never had an inspection either.

I didn't renew my license, but it was not due to concerns of ATF inspections. At the time we were about to have our first child, there wasn't much on the C&R market appealed to me, and I was planned (and later did) get into NFA collecting once things settled down. By the time I thought about submitting an application for a 03FFL again, the bullplop know as SB 941 passed and, more or less, made having one pointless, so I didn't bother.

I had a C&R license for a long time and had one and only one inspection from the ATF. It consisted of a compliance inspector checking my bound book and him going over current regulations. My records were in order, so that took a matter of minutes. His script on federal statutes went a little longer, but it was no big deal. He was friendly, answered a few questions I had, and thanked me for my time. That was it.

I've known other C&R licensees who never had a visit and I recall the inspector mentioning they only audit a tiny fraction of C&R holders. There was also a kitchen table 01FFL here in town that had a license for almost two decades who told me me he never had an inspection either.

I didn't renew my license, but it was not due to concerns of ATF inspections. At the time we were about to have our first child, there wasn't much on the C&R market appealed to me, and I was planned (and later did) get into NFA collecting once things settled down. By the time I thought about submitting an application for a 03FFL again, the bullplop know as SB 941 passed and, more or less, made having one pointless, so I didn't bother.
Does an inspection include a look at physical inventory or is it mostly checking your paperwork records? I have a respectable collection and want to know if I would need to keep my c&r acquired arms physically separated from non c&r arms and arms that are c&r eligible but not purchased with a license?

Does an inspection include a look at physical inventory or is it mostly checking your paperwork records? I have a respectable collection and want to know if I would need to keep my c&r acquired arms physically separated from non c&r arms and arms that are c&r eligible but not purchased with a license?
Every inspection I've heard about included matching Inventory to "The Book". That's what it's all about. If I were to get another FFL I would do like I did before and that's another Safe strictly for the stuff on the Books.

AFAIK, it always involves comparing the physical items to the records. I know mine involved physically comparing the C&R arms to my bound book. Everything matched up, so it was a non-issue. The compliance inspector did not ask about any other firearms I owned, nor did I volunteer information regarding them.

Thanks for the responses. The convenience of purchasing without the background check would be for WAC gunshows mainly, a three hour drive each way, and the often delay is a real PITA.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top