JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all,

I'm off to spend a couple of weeks in the southern sun and got to thinking that if I came across some CCI Mini-Mag 22 hollow points, that I'd likely pick up a brick or so, depending on price. Figured they don't let them have guns there :)confused:), so there might be a lot of ammo available, which would be :cool:.

Then I got to think'n! Dangerous at my age.... :D

Anyway, anybody has any experience with this.....?

1. Do they require California photo I.D. to buy ammo?

2. Can the ammo fly in my checked luggage?

3. Do I need to declare it to the airline? I would anyway, but wondering if anyone has had the trouble/experience?

Anything I should plan to 'do', like provide a special caring container, or the like? Locked case?

All useful info is much appreciated!

:s0131:
and
:D

californias not that strict with ammo, yet! you wont have to shown id until 2011 and thats for handgun ammo only tho they might consider that handgun ammo too but i dont know yet and yes you can own A .22 in cal even an ar i just moved up here from there as for flyn i dont know you should contact your airline ps ammos pretty scarce down there too

I'm off to spend a couple of weeks in the southern sun and got to thinking that if I came across some CCI Mini-Mag 22 hollow points, that I'd likely pick up a brick or so, depending on price. Figured they don't let them have guns there :)confused:), so there might be a lot of ammo available, which would be :cool:.

I think this is flawed logic. First, there is no reason a Californian can't own a .22. He can't get a 30-round banana clip for his 10/22, but there are lots of .22s in California. And if it wasn't selling in California, it'd be sold elsewhere - it's not like distributors are going to keep shipping the stuff there to pile up on shelves.

I doubt you're going to get a better deal on ammo in California than in Oregon.

As to your questions:

Yes, you have to show ID and be fingerprinted to buy ammo in California.

Yes, you can check ammo, provided the airline allows it.

Yes, you absolutely must declare it.

Now, consider:

• things cost more in California, so I'd expect the base price of the ammo will be higher
  • you're paying shop retail
  • you will pay the hideous California sales tax on the ammo - what is it now, 9%?
  • you will pay a checked luggage fee ($20-ish a bag)
  • you will pay perhaps a special handling fee (wouldn't surprise me if the airline requires this)
  • if memory serves, you can't just toss a couple bricks of .22 in with your dirty underwear - they have to be packed. You should read up thoroughly at <broken link removed> and ask the airline. Excerpt: "Small arms ammunitions for personal use must be securely packed in fiber, wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. Ask about limitations or fees, if any, that apply."
Are you really going to save money?

I just bought two bricks of Lapua .22LR from Aim Surplus and the shipping was $13.22. The tax, luggage fee, special handling fee, etc. would probably come to more than that, not to mention the gas, aggrevation, etc. of driving around to a dozen gun shops to find what you want, being thumbprinted, etc.

If you really came across a killer deal, an alternative to weigh (no pun intended) is shipping it to yourself.

When I left California w/ some pistols I took them in checked luggage, no problem. I called the Customer Service Desk of Alaska to ask about ammo, they said no. This was 5yrs ago, don't know if that has changed. As for the link Raindog provided, it says "small" quantity. I went to LA 3 weeks ago and went browsing to see what deals I can find. No thank you, prices were higher not including there 10&#37;+ sales tax and if there was a deal not enough savings for me to purchase and ship home. My $.02.

Thanks guys,

Son is in USCG down there, and said he can get a deal on ammo. Not sure he knows a 'deal', and not sure they have what I'm looking for, but worth checking out.

And yes, I know. Generally, liquor is likely the only thing cheaper in California! Wow, 10% sales tax, and the state is broke! No wonder they are looking at jumping on the train to Mary Jane! :s0155:

I like the 'ship to yourself' idea. Makes more sense than dealing with the airline loops.

Thanks for the tips.
:D

Hi all,

I'm off to spend a couple of weeks in the southern sun and got to thinking that if I came across some CCI Mini-Mag 22 hollow points, that I'd likely pick up a brick or so,

Bi-Mart at 122nd & Halsey has these in stock. I think they were $5.99 a box, but I was eyeballing from across the counter. They had probably 20 of the plastic boxes.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top