Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Buying/Selling in the classifieds

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by HuskyJW, May 24, 2012.

1. HuskyJW

HuskyJW Vancouver, Washington New Member

So I've bought and sold a couple of times out of the firearms forum....(very quickly both times) but I am just amazed at people and what they are posting their prices at. So I have a few questions :)

At what point is the gun considered used? I see some people say it is now "broken in" thereby it supposedly increases the value?

If you are posting a used gun more than a new one.....why do you get mad at lower offers?

Don't be offended by a "lowball" offer. There really is no such thing....your price is ridiculously high (if you just keep bumping and bumping)....that is why people are emailing with offers that you consider low.

Your $500 of accessories that you bought doesn't mean it increases the value at all. At most it increases it 10% of what you paid......at most. It's like adding air conditioning and a fence to your house....doesn't add any value for the next guy.

Rich7944, nwdrifter, kodiak61 and 9 others like this.
  2. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

I consider a gun used after it sold by a dealer. At that point it is like new regardless if it has been fired.

3. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The instant you take possession of the firearm it is used. Condition has nothing to do with it.

4. unklekippy

unklekippy In The Mountains Near Sprague River Well-Known Member

Owned=Used. People can get angry at "lowballers" all they want. When you have a lowballer, at least you have interest. If you see no other offers, maybe the lowballer wasn't so low after all. I don't understand the reason to get angry over an offer. I appreciate all offers on every piece I have ever posted. If my $500 item is only worth $350 to you, that does not offend me.

By nature, the owner will over-value the item and the potential buyer(s) will under-value it. That is simple negotiation. The perceived slight is just that, perceived.

You can never really know the condition of a firearm without actual handling and inspection of it. That's the risk of buying used. That is also why used guns are worth less than new.

That's just my opinion. I hope I didn't offend anyone. Kip.

kodiak61, rocky3, mjbskwim and 9 others like this.
  5. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

A bit of a distinction is in order here. A Keltec P11 with 500 rounds through it is used, a full size Colt, Springfield, Kimber etc, 1911 could be considered "Just Broken In". There are other similar comparisons out there too.

Mike

6. Rich7944

Rich7944 Kent, Wa. Active Member

How about the guy that list everything he has bought for his AR with the retail price of everything and then expects to get close to that out of the rifle itself. Give me a break people.

Good Post! Too bad it might get you banned or a warning.

What also amazes me is that people buy that stuff. I overpriced a Glock one time and had a couple offers then one guy out of nowhere offers full price, come to find out he wasn't legal to own a firearm. Lowered price, gun sold to someone who was legal to own a firearm.

accessbob and (deleted member) like this.
  7. jdubl

jdubl Oregon Member

Either they're trying to get one over on the uneducated buyer, or just starting high. Like kippy mentioned, its just a percieved slight, thats the nature of trading/bartering/negotiating. Some people take it personally, some don't. A lot of these ad's are pretty absurd though.

8. Trailboss

Trailboss Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

The ads that make me chuckle are the ones that state something like "If you're really, really serious about buying I'll send a picture, but if I do send a picture don't be a flake and back out." Hahahahaha, what a control issue !! If they send a photo, I'm obligated to purchase or I'm a flake? Hahahaha. I never respond to these even if it's something I'm looking for. Another one I saw said "If I need to drive any where to meet you then I will charge you $35 per hour to do it." Some folks need to get real, I pass up these types of ads quickly. Any ad where the poster has an attitude, I just don't need it.

Barone20, accessbob, humdrum and 11 others like this.
  9. EMP9596

EMP9596 Two Trees West of Camas, WA. Active Member

Some time ago Brightwater Ventures was broken in to and quite a few firearms were stolen and all were recovered except a couple of firearms.
    I remember asking either Mike or Nick what the status on them was after law inforcement released them back to the shop. I was told that by law they left the control of the shop and had to be sold as used firearms.

As for myself if I had a Springer new out of the box and ran one round thru it... It is a used pistol with a "very low round count."

You purchase a spank'n new car or truck...
    As soon as the papers are signed off and it hits the street, it is a used car/truck.

10. EMP9596

I will not even consider asking for fotos in an add that does not post them and wants you to request them.

*** Old say'n on fishing websites: No Pictures???? IT DID NOT HAPPEN!!!!!!

Last edited: May 25, 2012
    tallyho, Cougfan2, accessbob and 7 others like this.
  11. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

How would his post get him banned or a warning? It doesn't violate any forum rules.

I suggest you re-read them.

12. husker

husker portland Active Member

I think people feel others will pay more for FTF then if you have to go to an FFL. Some people want a firearm that is not in there name.
    I dont really see that it matters but some do.

13. oregonswamper

oregonswamper Salem Active Member

From what I see there are good deals and bad deals out there. If someone wants to list their firearm for what they see its worth then so be it. But if they want to get bent out of shape about someone offering a lower price then let them. They can get their panties in a bunch for all I care. I will still sleep well tonight

14. Marz

Marz PDX Member

For me I look at Used = Used. A new firearm = unfired / never used. Though as soon as you pull the car off the lot you loose $$$$$. Things to consider.

15. SynapticSilence

SynapticSilence Battle Ground, WA Well-Known Member

This isn't rocket science. If you take a gun that you've purchased to a gun store to sell or trade it, even if you've never fired it, you're going to be lucky to get about 2/3 of it's original price. For one thing, it's nigh on impossible to tell if a gun's been fired or not. I clean my guns religiously each time I fire them and they show very little wear with the exception of some small places where the metal has burnished itself in. Because of that, any gun store owner/ffl is going to start off with the used value based on its condition and then factor in whatever profit margin he's looking for when he sells it. When you buy a gun on line, you have to realize you're buying something someone else either bought and figured out they didn't like, bought but now need the money it'll bring for something else, or (and this is rare) something they bought that is screwed up and they want to foist off on some other unsuspecting soul. If you're not the first purchaser, then in my opinion the gun's used. You can certainly do like I do and list it as "Like New in Box", which then leaves it up to the person buying the gun to ask appropriate questions and inspect the gun to see if it lives up to how you described it.

16. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

We go thur this same thing about once a month.I rather like it,It means I'm not the only one that notices the pricing.. I don't like to pay asking price.If you knock off only 5 or ten dollars I come away happy.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

Yes it does, unless you installed small window a/c :bluelaugh:

18. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Buy the gun, not the story.

19. eganx

eganx Kingston WA Active Member

I believe the average US citizen is quite greedy and selfish, and they want "all they can get" out of their item. So they ask an above average price, hoping someone will bite. I too want all I can get out of my stuff, with the stipulation that after the deal my conscience is clear. I ask for my items what they are worth in the given market if not a little less so speed up interest and be sure I'm in the clear conscience wise.

Then in the firearms arena you have folks selling very over priced guns.....and actually selling them. I believe these are the folks selling to felons and other people not allowed to posses and own a firearm.

20. EMP9596

Talked to a guy about his AR with lots-o-goodys quite awhile back then called him with an offer. His reasoning for the "as new" price was that he spent "his time" rounding the stuff up for the build such as: Gas, postage, UPS, Fedex, putting it togather and what ever else. He had ran a couple hundred rounds through it and tried to convince me it was still a good as new rifle.
    My last comment to him was, It is a used rifle anyway you look at it, and besides everywhere you have had your greasy little dickskinners on it, it has most likely started to rust because the rifle is drier than a popcorn fart in a windstorm inside and out.

For some reason he hung up on me.

Sometimes life is just to much fun!

unklekippy and (deleted member) like this.