JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I got my Remington 20" 870 from Larry's Sporting Goods (they are long gone now). It was a Georgia State Patrol gun that got turned in when the GSP went to some other kind of shotgun. I've had this gun for years. It waas used, but like new when I got it. Got it for a song back then. Added a few goodies since and now I have a terrific HD shotgun.

Traded for one about 5 years from and officer, no special papers or anything gave cash, checked ID's and left.
It was done as a private sale as odd as that sounds.

Nothing wrong with that as lots of officers have to buy their own weapons and they are free to sell them as they like, just like an ordinary private citizen!!

We qualify with our primary weapon twice a year and and fire about 500 rounds each time. We even fire a ton of rounds through our shotguns. That is a full 8-10 hour day of shooting. I know we shoot more than most agencies, but I don't know where all guys think the guns have low round count. We can also get a box of ammo a month for each duty weapon. My department will not do private sales of weapons. They are all sold to Keith's. We can't even buy our weapons back. If we want them we have to buy them through Keith's. It's a liability thing. We are also not allowed to carry our own weapons on duty. I have been in law enforcement since 1991 and we beat the crap out of everything. The includes guns, vehicles, you name it. I would have a hard believing a 40 year old police 870 would be pristine at any agency. The racks in the equipment rooms and vehicles scratch them up. I wouldn't buy any used police equipment unless it was mine.

In Lewis County, I get a notice from the Sheriff's Dept whenever they are going to have a sale of confiscated/surplus firearms. It goes out to all FFL holders in the county. (Mine is an 03FFL [C&R], so I can't really bid on them, but its fun to look at the list and dream)....

"To my knowledge, the CMP program has always been only about rifles...anyone know if I'm wrong here?"
I recall CMP 1911s in my youth (early 1960s)

RCW 9.41.060(5) has always bothered me, and as that exemption was in place in 1961, I was under the impression that was the CMP program. Unfortunately for me I was living in OR rather than WA in the 50's and 60's...but I also vaguely remember the CMP program had 1911's available after the end of the Korean war.

In Lewis County, I get a notice from the Sheriff's Dept whenever they are going to have a sale of confiscated/surplus firearms. It goes out to all FFL holders in the county. (Mine is an 03FFL [C&R], so I can't really bid on them, but its fun to look at the list and dream)....

Don't completely give up on using that C&R to purchase directly from the Sheriff's auction...I have a 1903 build Winchester 1897 that was a police shotgun before it was dad's. It became mine when dad died. I also have a 1926 build Colt revolver that was originally a police weapon. It does happen.

The Kahr K9's are the best though, NYPD trade-ins. Gotta love buying handguns from Bloomberg!

I picked up one of those also. Paid $420 for it and put another $200 bucks into it. The finish is rough and it doesn't look pretty but it is the most accurate pistol I've ever owned. I ordered new grips, springs, sights and three new mags ( the mag it came with does not eject fully). The original sights were three dot night sights and had been intentionally or accidentally deformed and were no longer round but oval. I took it to a smith who tore it down, ultrasound cleaned it and put the parts I supplied into it. I've put close to 500 rounds thought it since and it works flawlessly and the bullets go exactly where I aim. I put 200 rounds thought it at a range session and had a nice fist sized hole where the heart would be by the end of the day and no fliers. Money well spent in my opinion.

I wonder how many departments hold a 'gun buy back' program to get guns off the streets, and then turn around the next day and put more guns on the street by selling off their old PD guns or even seized/conficated guns? That would make for an interesting news headline.

Don't fixate on NW only guns.. I got a great deal @ CDNN on a supposedly "refurbished" G22 a few years ago.. obviously an unfired police trade in or contract over run, it was brand spankin' new IMO

Most agencies qualify once per quarter, however the number of rounds fired at each of those qualifications can greatly differ between agencies--also, officers are generally encouraged to "practice on your own time" and so can always take their issued Glock (or whatever) to the range on their own, and some agencies (like mine) actually give out a monthly ammo stipend, so we can shoot more regularly to keep our proficiency up. All of that to say "who knows?" but probably more than "average."

20 years ago when I was in labor relations, I got to know quite a few cops. Port of Seattle cops at the time carried the H&K P7--at the time about a $1200 pistol that they had purchased via confiscated drug money. Anyhoo, I got to shoot with them one day during qualification. I can't remember exactly, but the round count for qualification was a weird number like 46 or 47. Regardless, of the 40 or so cops, I'd say less than five of the guys ever shot their pistols outside of qualification. So, if you wanted one of those goofy guns you might be getting one that after ten years of use had less than 500 rounds through it. Probably fairly typical for LE.

moose,

Yes, that pic is from the PI.

But, the pic was more to illustrate about what happens when a politician (Govt Official) decides to trash firearms.

And, your can imagine where the PI Govt got the M14s from?

LOL.......Uncle Sugar.

But, if it is the Chinese knock off. Well, the story was that the Chinese was attempting to cause some trouble in the PI and the ship ran aground. Oh.....but, the Chinese Govt is friendly to the USA Govt, RIGHT?

Then........I can remember that Norinco was trying to arm the street gangs in L.A. with full auto AKs. Opps....they've changed since then, RIGHT?

Anyway, aren't USA or Chinese M14 parts valuable to us? Hummm....that could potentially be some $$$$ for the PI Government. But, why bother when they can get more aide $$$$$$$$$ from Uncle Sugar?

Ok, Ok, Ok.........back to the subject of ex-PD guns.

In Hawaii, well........I was told, that the firearms that were no longer necessary (turn ins and evidence) were routinely taken out and dumped overboard (into the ocean). And, it's unlikely that you'll find pics of that operation.

But, the ex-PDs guns were used to regain some of the taxpayer's money. The PD would make a deal with either the MFN or an FFL. Good policy IMHO.

Aloha, Mark

Select fire M14s were a waste. The recoil prevented accurate fire in full auto...one of the reasons the Army wanted a smaller cartridge for the M16. Another was the weight factor, you can carry more 5.56 than 7.62...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top