Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Buying or build a sub MOA rifle?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by mjbskwim, Jan 30, 2011.

1. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

I am looking to buy or build a sub MOA rifle and was wondering if I can buy one or do I truly need to buy the better barrel and action,and,OK I know a great stock is a must.

I also know that most rifles are more accurate than most shooters,but I plan to become a much better shooter.:bluelaugh:

Rem 700? Mauser? Tikka? actions?
    What are some barrel manufacturers to look at.
    This will probably be a 300WM

Thanks
    Mike

2. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

Buy a stock Remington 700, and reload for her. If she shoots sub-MOA stop there-- I'm probably going to start a series of collective 'Duh' responses.

3. sweetbeard

sweetbeard Beavertown OreGUN! New Member

Buy a savage... remington used to be good.

4. yotehunter

yotehunter north west Active Member

I have a remington 700 300 WSM for sale that shoots sub moa

5. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

SB, you haven't put more than 20rds through either one :p

6. WhitneyPrecision

WhitneyPrecision Lane County Member

7. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

From what I am seeing from both working at a gun shop and having been a gunsmith for a while, is that most people start with the Remington 700. There are several reasons for this. First is the cost and availability. There have been several million produced, so they are relatively cheap and readily available. Second is related to the first, and that's the availability of aftermarket parts, including triggers, stocks, recoil lugs, scope bases, and other things. Third is that being a piece of tube steel makes the receiver easy to true up.

Many of my friends have bought the Remington 700 SPS Varmint guns in .308 Win. They buy them with the intent to replace the barrel, the stock, the trigger, etc. Most are still shooting them stock, and are very impressed with their out of the box performance. I'm not saying all of them will be like this, but its worth a try. I'm also not saying a stock rifle will win you any long distance shooting awards, but worst case scenario, you have a great foundation to have your custom rifle built off of. Anyhow, that's my recommendation. Good luck. :thumbup:

8. mjbskwim

Well PB,I'm not sure of my budget,but I am sure it ain't at those rifles cost right now
    The guy who own the gun shop in Hadlock built one that looks just like those,with a folding stock.Very nice.

And MB,and 2506,this is what I am hearing the most.

Thanks for the responses

9. sheepdip

sheepdip Redland Well-Known Member

my new rem 700 was sub moa in seven shots, this is my new go to rifle

10. SnapShot

SnapShot walla walla Member

i was having the same problem a few weeks ago, been thinking about precision shooter for a while now.

came down to savage vs rem

i went with the Rem 700 SS 5R Milspec. after much internet hype and reviews i hope it to be an excellent shooter out of the box.

im still waiting on buds guns to process this order..... sigh... im so anxious.

although i went with the 308 win over the 300 win mag, due to operational costs and i dont like to shoot 300 win mag for extended periods of practice time.

not exactly sure what you are planing on shooting ...paper? or hunting? out to 600,800 or 1000 and beyond?

11. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

Plus one for a Rem 700, for the reasons so well stated by the Bear.

12. mjbskwim

Snap shot,I'm look to use it for hunting and some paper at however far seems reasonable.

(on soap box)
    Not a fan of 1000 yard big game hunting.Too many variables at that range. I've been at parks that change 10 degrees in 100 yards.So at that range and the areas you are usually hunting (mountain terrain) there can be so many changes that can make for a crippled animals
    (off soap box)

But I figure if I'm going with a 30 caliber,I should just go with a magnum,and 300wm still has plenty of off the shelf rounds to go to. I know I have to hand load to get perfect groups.Maybe some day.

I'm guessing this will happen with a smaller caliber too. Somewhere in the 240-270 range for the smaller targets

13. SnapShot

SnapShot walla walla Member

you can pick up a bottom line savage, for 3-400 bux, and build it as you need, but if you choose their acutrigger, and acustock your pretty much spending as much as a rem 700. some people like the savage acutrigger better than the new rem one...

if your planing on doing some hunting and dont want to pack around a hog, then i would probally go with the 700 LTR (light tatical rifle) basiclly the 700p, lightned up still kinda heavy for hunting. or maybe a 700 sps, about (rem 700 with hogue stock).. (granted these are still pretty much TatiCool Rifles.

it all depends on your budget and primary and secondary reasons for buying it. if you want a target shooter, dosent matter if its 14lbs with a scope, but if you want to hunt it going to be a handfull for the hike.

the 30 cal is a nice round. i like the 308 for cost effectivness and its ballistics.... the the fact of the matter is the 300 win mag has a longer reach, and a flatter trajectory. and even at 1000 yards still hits like a 44 magnum.

14. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

In terms of sub-MOA rifles, I would say the list starts with a custom built action/barrel combo.
    Then come the Remington, Savage, Tikka, Sako, and the Howa/Weatherby sub MOA rifles.

But few of these will reach their full accuracy/precision potential without handloading. A good factory rifle with handloads tailored to it, will out shoot most $2k rifles shooting wal-mart ammo.
    At least for the first few shots. Sometimes longer if you're lucky.
    Once the barrels get hot, the customs tend to maintain their level of precision. Whatever that was to begin with, shooting less-than-ideal loads.

15. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

Not to sound like a jerk, but can you shoot sub MOA? You want sub MOA at what yardage? Shooting sub MOA at 100 yards is a different thing the shooting it at 1000. Most off the shelf rifles should shoot sub MOA at 100 or 200 yards, when put in the right hands. Buy yourself a cheap Stevens 200, learn to shoot it and upgrade as needed.:thumbup:

16. djgaloot

djgaloot Oregon City Member

MOA is an angle measurement and does not change with yardage. Of course there are other factors besides the gun itself that affect accuracy and hitting your target within that MOA spot, especially at long ranges such as load, bullet aerodynamics, wind, etc. All this is moot for me as I am not a MOA shooter yet :) I am in the learning to shoot stage.

17. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

MOA is roughly a 1 inch group at 100 yards and the group size increases per 100 yards, so a 2 inch group at 200, and 3 at 300 and so on. Just because a certain gun, ammunition and shooter combination can shoot sub MOA at 100 yards, does not mean that same gun, ammunition and shooter can shoot sub MOA at 1000 yards, it's just a different animal all together. The bullet is in the air for ten times as long, so all in consistencies are going to be amplified. Not to mention, wind is going to vary much more over that yardage. Most hunters can pickup their favorite hunting rifle and shoot sub MOA at the 100 yard range. They cannot however take the same rifle and shoot sub MOA at 1000 yards, or they may, but not with any predictability or pattern.

Jamie 6.5 also brought up a good point. Save some money on the rifle and learn how to hand load. It will make all the difference in the world.

18. Scott

Scott Battle Ground Well-Known Member

To be politicly correct a MOA is 1.047" @100 yards. Almost all production guns will do that.

FN SPR
    R5 MilSpec
    Tikka T3 Tactical
    Kimber LPT
    Kimber Advanced
    700P
    700LTR

But like others said buy a SPS Varmint and it will shoot sub moa with factory if you practice. You can always build up a 700.
    The stock is the easiest way to change performance and if you do it buy a good stock.

The ones mentioned above average 900 to $2400 so you have a wide range to choose from.

But it is cheaper to buy the stock you want on the gun already then to purchase seperately.

Good luck and tell us what you bought or buy.

19. WhitneyPrecision

WhitneyPrecision Lane County Member

20. mjbskwim

I was gunna say a$$ but we'll go with jerk.:poke:

No I probably can't shoot that well,but if I'm going to spend the money on a rifle that I want to use for long range shooting,I want to take that part out of the equation.
    And I decided that I will wait on guns until I have a proper reloading set up.Not like I don't have the time.

An older guy at Sportco had a young kid come in and ask about the accuracy of a certain rifle.
    The guy told him it shot better than he could.Kid got pissy then decided the ol' guy was probably right.

I just want the rifle to not be a factor so I'll probably build one and learn to shoot it perfectly.(yeah sure)

But I appreciate all the responses and information.:thumbup:
    I think I'll find a nice 700 to start with,as that seems to be the first answer most (here and other places) have given.