JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, last year was my first year of hunting, 1 rabbit and 1 squirrel. I decided I'm going to to try for a bigger game this year having seen like 20 different deer on the properties I frequent.

What can I expect or how should I go about applying points or controlled hunt vouchers vs general hunting tags? I'm a bit confused by it honestly.

Is it something that has to be decided when you purchase the sports pac or can some decisions wait till closer to the season?

Really excited to get out there again this year and get to try some more meat of different animals and learning as much as I can so I can teach my daughter, she's loves the idea of different animals tasting different. She loves the rabbit lol

I'm really hoping for a some birds this year as well as some predators/invasive species. Turkey/Goose hunting was fun even if I came up empty. Coyote and nutria are also on my list as I have been getting into tanning.

Thanks for all the advice I have gotten from here, definitely wouldn't have happened without it.

When you purchase your sports pac, you are going to get a ellk tag , a deer tag, a bear tag, tukey and cougar tags. Also licenses for hunt and fish and a few other goodies. Page 6 in the rules is your place to go for info.
Which tags are up to you. You have to participate in the draw process for controlled hunts and that deadline is May 15.
If you just go general for a species, it's worth it (to me) to put in point savers for preference points in another year. Good luck!

One other suggestion, since you are in Salem it would be worth the time to go to the ODFW there and talk to them in person. They will be of great help answering your questions and you may find out a insider tip or two.

When you purchase your sports pac, you are going to get a ellk tag , a deer tag, a bear tag, tukey and cougar tags. Also licenses for hunt and fish and a few other goodies. Page 6 in the rules is your place to go for info.
Which tags are up to you. You have to participate in the draw process for controlled hunts and that deadline is May 15.
If you just go general for a species, it's worth it (to me) to put in point savers for preference points in another year. Good luck!

What's the difference between general hunt tag and a voucher?

Is a controlled hunt an application for an extra tag on top of your general tag but by location?

I'm curious because I already have my deer areas scouted I was hoping to hunt from.

Last Edited:
The sport pack gets you one tag per species. It's up to you whether you hunt general (west of cascades) or controlled (east of cascades).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top