JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks to everyone for all the advice and information. There is really a lot to consider. I have been to a range and shot a few handguns. Sounds like I should shoot a few more.

I also like the advice to buy new/in state/online.

This thread needs more info from the OP.....:rolleyes:

I'm not new to weapons but I've never owned. Reasons I want a handgun are
1. want to shoot at the range
2. possibly carry concealed
3. have a weapon around in case the balloon goes up.
4. teach my family about weapons

I probably won't carry until I get a decent amount of range time in and have taken some classes. I know it's a huge responsibility.

Recently I got the chance to fire a Glock 17, Glock 19, Kimber .45, and an STI .40. I really liked them all. I want to take classes to get a tighter shot group.

It is possible to overthink something. Half the fun/interest of guns is getting to know it's capabilities and limits first hand. Even a Hi-Point holds interest to some and defiantly fills a niche.
3. have a weapon around in case the balloon goes up.
4. teach my family about weapons

If on a budget and you want more than one, well Hi- Point would work as ugly and clunky as they are.
1. want to shoot at the range
2. possibly carry concealed

Maybe something mid-sized like an SR9c?

If you have the funds I'd get something nicer than a Hi-Point I guess but no need to waste $500 either.

Obviously you should just go buy a CZ75. Either the Compact or B would be great whether you're new to owning or not. And if you hate it, you could probably just sell it to me.

Recently I got the chance to fire a Glock 17, Glock 19, Kimber .45, and an STI .40. I really liked them all. I want to take classes to get a tighter shot group.

Did any of them "speak" to you in any way? Some guns FEEL good. Sometimes I like to close my eyes and point a cleared pistol in a safe direction, get into a natural stance where I am not fighting the gun, open my eyes and see if the natural position of my body jives with the gun. The sights will be lined up when you opeen your eyes on a gun that fits you well.

IMO - a Ruger Mark II or III is what I would pick for reasons 1,3 & 4.

Get your practice in with a "target" .22LR, it's way cheaper, easier to hit what your aiming at and you will always have/want one around. Better for teaching the Fam also.

And your into it for about $350.

WHEN you decide to start carrying it, THEN go get a carry gun because they are (for the average person) not the same gun you would use for the other 2-3 reasons.

Everyone has a valid opinion but unless you are just going to be a 1 gun family then put off looking for your carry weapon; you will be glad you did.

IMO - a Ruger Mark II or III is what I would pick for reasons 1,3 & 4.

Get your practice in with a "target" .22LR, it's way cheaper, easier to hit what your aiming at and you will always have/want one around. Better for teaching the Fam also.

And your into it for about $350.

WHEN you decide to start carrying it, THEN go get a carry gun because they are (for the average person) not the same gun you would use for the other 2-3 reasons.

Everyone has a valid opinion but unless you are just going to be a 1 gun family then put off looking for your carry weapon; you will be glad you did.
I like the .22lr recommendation. Personally, I wouldn't buy another .22 that didn't have a threaded barrel. I have a couple of .22 suppressors and shooting suppressed is great fun, especially with people who are noise adverse.

I decided to consolidate all the pistol calibers I had (four) to one, a .40 S&W. I wanted two pistols (one for the wife) so we went to a LGS (local gun store) who also had a gun range and rented 15 different pistols (8 in 40 S&W). We shot them all and wrote down the ones we liked and picked the Springfield XDM40 with the 3.8" barrel and full size (16 round magazine).
The theory was that we would always know if I (or her) needed a magazine if we were in a fight for our lives, we knew that any magazine we had would work in either pistol.
I call this thinking as we get older and sometimers creeps upon us...
Good luck with your decision.;)

I'll throw one thing in here just because I haven't seen it brought up yet.
When you decide you're ready for carry there are two things you'll need.
1. A good holster. You choose the material and style but you'll end up with a box of holsters just like the rest of us. It's part of the learning process.
2. Get a really good belt. It should be thick and have double stitching. Again you choose the material. I would recommend leather for the belt though.
I have a couple of nylon gun belts and they are very nice. But they are not suited for certain types of holsters.
Here's an example. I practice my draw at home regularly. I had just picked up a galco kingtuk and was wearing it around the house while getting used to it. Never carry in public with an unfamiliar holster. This has the potential for substantial legal and deadly repercussions.
So I'm in my living room and I go to draw and yank the entire holster out of my pants. The belt was too thin for the clips to really grab onto. I found that to keep that from happening I had to twist the grip into my body while drawing.
I switched to my leather gun belt and the problem went away.
The point is get quality equipment and train with it.

I'm looking to buy my first handgun and have seen some pretty good deals on the for sale forums.

1) As a first time owner, what should I look for if I decide to buy used?

2) What are the steps I need to preform of I buy in Oregon and transfer to Washington?
Go to a range and take a class. Some ranges will loan you a gun for your first class. Then you will learn about sights, grip , stance and how to shoot as well as which gun works best for you.
Then talk to an instructor after the class about what works for you. The Public Safety Training Center in Clackamas County Oregon has a class like this. I think A Place To Shoot does too. You wouldnt buy a car without knowing how to drive and test driving it...

Did any of them "speak" to you in any way? Some guns FEEL good. Sometimes I like to close my eyes and point a cleared pistol in a safe direction, get into a natural stance where I am not fighting the gun, open my eyes and see if the natural position of my body jives with the gun. The sights will be lined up when you opeen your eyes on a gun that fits you well.

No Regerts---The "Gun Whisperer" ;)

Brutus Out

gotta pipe in here.

best thing I did was a lot of research. knew what I needed w/ purpose.

1st gun ever: the Glock 19 Gen 3. you cannot go wrong.

all the best & Happy New Year :D

Fit in hand, ease of use.
Purpose or use decides caliber.
If you are unfamiliar with firearms, take a course to get familiar . American Firearms training has free online courses that are better than no info.
Do not rule out revolvers , they are easiest to grab and use. Caliber choices are very good. Very safe to operate.
I would not recommend a single action 1911 style as a first handgun due to you being unfamiliar with cocked and locked.
Remember it is not just your life, but those around you when handling a firearm.

Well, one thing for sure you'll always be learning something new.

First time I shot was in the Navy. Had to carry per job description and was issued old, well loved 1911's. Even shot Expert with them so I thought I knew something...

Got married and go out, and wanted a home defense/carry pistol since my Colt Huntsman .22 wasn't made for that task. Was thinking of "one gun that does it all." Thought I knew about these things...

Bought a S&W 442, .38 5 shot j frame airweight centennial. Great for carry, perhaps adequate for home defense. Love the concealed hammer and nothing is simpler. Wife doesn't have to think too hard to understand how it operates. Yes, little snappy. Can always hit the paper at 7 yards though. Hmmm, haven't even tried past 7 yards with the 442.

Now, with way too far north of 50 guns having passed through or stuck around these parts, and I still have the 442. Never malfunctioned, never failed to fire. Nice to trust that.

The 442 is in the back of the under-the-bed Gun Vault, behind my in-home primary, a full sized S&W M&P 40. My Home Defense plan is to have the M&P in hand, and the 442 in the waistband. If possible I'd like to get to my safe to grab the Mossberg 500 of course.

Lots of other guns for other purposes, some practical, some not so much ( like my 8 3/8" model 27-2). Just don't discount the lowly concealed hammer revolver. For carrying, it should be a consideration. Nothing is simpler. Never have to think about clambering a round, safeties, magazines, accidentally releasing the magazine, jams, etc. Yes, there are less rounds, but it's small. And you can get plenty of power (.357 mag or 9mm) if you want more than .38 Special.

Yes, it will do the job for home defense. Your wife or girlfriend will understand it. It will never let you down. But when size isn't as much of an issue most folks find better ( read bigger) home defense options, and there are certainly better options for heavy range time. I only put about 10 rounds through the 442 annually. Just enough to remember it's not a range gun.

Still haven't owned a 1911. Yet.:)

I'm looking to buy my first handgun and have seen some pretty good deals on the for sale forums.

1) As a first time owner, what should I look for if I decide to buy used?

2) What are the steps I need to preform of I buy in Oregon and transfer to Washington?
1) Either hold to buying a new gun or take someone with you, that you trust, who knows enough about guns to give you good advice, when you go shopping for a used gun.

2) I don't know about this one, but a call to the local police dept. should give you all the answers you're looking for.

Dean

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads