JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
^Kind of a facile argument. If fabled 'SHTF' did happen and I was blowing through so much this or that kind of ammunition that I actually ran out, I would find a new weapon + ammo and keep shooting anyway. It's like arguing about a brand of toilet paper, push comes to shove, the napkins at McDonalds will suffice... But in the mean time it's nice to shoot ammo that doesn't break the bank, AND is still made in decent numbers here in the US just like other favorites ~.308 :)

1. What is the difference/benefits between bulged trunion and non bulged?
2. I don't like the looks of a thumbhole stock on the VEPR. Is there an aftermarket pistol grip for it?

That bulge you see on some receivers is simply because they 'beefed up' the breach and front-trunnion area of the rifle to be able to withstand greater pressures, primarily for shooting rifle grenades. Like the Zastava O-PAP, was designed to be able to shoot high-pressure cartridges to launch a muzzle-attached grenade. Also on RPK variants along with a thicker barrel to be able to stand higher-volume of sustained fire.

Normal AK receivers 'lack' this because quite simply it's not necessary and saves weight. Especially in the sense of an RPK, which is the Russian/Warsaw Pact version of a SAW (squad automatic weapon). For the average soldier though firing more than say 400-500 rounds in a battle is highly-unlikely. Even in the US military, a typical riflemen isn't going to be taking the place of a SAW/MG and slinging that much led. So in the end it's just a trade off between weight and practicality. If they expected every single soldier to be throwing led at high sustained ROF, then more than likely they would equip their soldiers all with 'RPK' style receivers (thicker front trunnions and barrels).

Now IMHO, I personally aint a huge-Nancy when it comes to weight. So if you know what it feels like to hump around some heavy things on hikes/rucks, then getting the RPK style Vepr might suit you well. But honestly I have a standard AK stamped receiver with an 'AK-100' type barrel in it, in terms of weight it's right there with my military issue M4. I honestly have no want/need to be carrying around a heavier rifle, along with say 600+ rounds for some fabled SHTF/zombie/nazi/apocalypse. Even with my 'thin' barrel, I can sling out a fair number of 7.62x39 without any issues, so I'm 'snug as a bug' with my AK ;) Try carrying 'just' 300, 7.62x39 rounds along with other equipment, if your one of those 'bug out bag' types, it's not lightweight...

Now thumb-hole grip for a Vepr? Going to have to do some Google/Bing searches, but I'm pretty confident some companies out there make better alternatives for a Vepr...

plenty of aftermarket stocks available for the VEPR.

VEPR-Folding-Stock-RS.gif
DSC04860-crop.jpg
DSC03841.jpg
tumblr_m70nsnZpDc1r9khx4o1_1280.jpg

Just traded my C93 for a M&M-10
(Yes, another AK into my collection)
Quality is a slight slight step above wasrs.. But not by much.

Shoot, with all that VZ talk above, I want one.

I'm not 100% sure, but I thought the Veprs to different mags than the common AK mag?

^I believe you are correct, but as with many imported rifles. You can buy converted ones that will take 'standard' type AK magazines. As always, be certain of WHO you are buying from make sure they do quality work and have respectable QA on their rifles.

I'm not 100% sure, but I thought the Veprs to different mags than the common AK mag?

Converted VEPR's in 7.62x39 will take regular AK magazines.

VEPR's in .308 and other calibers typically take proprietary magazines, although there are a few other companies that make compatible magazines.

As an aside, Krebs did a modification for a while that allowed .308 VEPR's to take M1A magazines. I've got one of these rifles (a Robinson .308 VEPR modified by Krebs).

Get an Arsenal. However Im quite fond of these Yugo AKs that are getting popular.

Seriously for the best quality, Arsenal AKs.
there are others but you're paying for the name or add-ons/ bells and whistles.

With about 98% of AKs you're going to get a functional rifle.. There are lemons.. But they're few and far.

Have you considered a caliber yet?
7.62x39, 5.45x39 or 5.56 for common caliber methodology (with your AR)

Happy hunting!

I'm no AK expert, but I will chime in by saying that I love my Arsenal SGL-21. Haven't regretted owning it at all... great rifle!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top