JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I recently finished building my dream AR. Now I've been bitten by the AK bug. While not having much experience with them, other than being shot at with them, I'm not sure what all to look for. What manufacturing country to stay away from, what brands are known for reliability.

I won't be spending as much as I did on my AR, but I figured around $1000 is reasonable. I've seen reviews of the Century Arms C39 Centurion Sporter. I really like it. It's a milled receiver and for around $750-800 seems like a bargain.

Any input would be great. Thanks

Get an Arsenal. However Im quite fond of these Yugo AKs that are getting popular.

Seriously for the best quality, Arsenal AKs.
there are others but you're paying for the name or add-ons/ bells and whistles.

With about 98% of AKs you're going to get a functional rifle.. There are lemons.. But they're few and far.

Have you considered a caliber yet?
7.62x39, 5.45x39 or 5.56 for common caliber methodology (with your AR)

Happy hunting!

Yea. I thought about an arsenal. There comes a point where you're paying for a name. Like I just finished my all Noveske build. Other than the barrel, I could've gone a lot cheaper. But I wanted an all Noveske gun. With the AK I don't really care that much. I'd prefer a milled over a stamped receiver.

As far as caliber it's going to be 7.62x39.

The 545 and 556 are so much alike in ballistics I want something different.

Jump on JGsales and buy the Centurion39 milled (C39). Can't beat it for the price ($699 last I checked). Just don't shoot corrosive ammo through it. If you do, clean it with ballistol and water right away! Also the Arsenals are nice, so are Saiga rifles (converted ones).

One of the best deals going is the Zastava M70 N-PAP, which is $530 at AIM right now: Zastava N-PAP M70 7.62x39 AK Rifle

You can also pick up an O-PAP, which is the same rifle with a bulged trunion, for $550 at Centerfire Systems: <broken link removed>

In either case, you're looking at roughly the same price for either rifle: $565 shipped + FFL transfer ($25 or less)

These rifles are imported by Century but fully built overseas in Serbia. They know a thing or two about building quality AKs in eastern Europe.

Review: CAI Yugo Zastava M70 O-PAP AK-47 Rifle Review (HD) - YouTube

Review: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/05/james-grant/gun-review-zastava-n-pap-ak-47/ (Keep in mind, they reviewed it when it was selling for $800 last May; $530 at AIM makes it a different proposition)

I picked up a WASR threw a G2 in it and a Krebs retaining plate and called it good. A boutique AK seems kinda silly to me but that Centurion seems pretty sweet.

Best deal right now is Yugo Opap( don't get the Npap). Use the rest of the money on ammo n mags. I suggest buying Golden Tiger 7.62x39 from SGammo.com and any com bloc surplus steel mags.

So after looking around online and seeing what all the differences are I decided to go to a bunch of local stores here. I went to 6. And AKs were hit and miss. Plenty of ARs though. I did find a Saiga in 7.62x39 new. They want $660. Seems like a fair deal from what I see online

So after looking around online and seeing what all the differences are I decided to go to a bunch of local stores here. I went to 6. And AKs were hit and miss. Plenty of ARs though. I did find a Saiga in 7.62x39 new. They want $660. Seems like a fair deal from what I see online

Not a good deal for $660. Was it converted?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top