JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes. You can Look down the bore and see if the lands look sharp or rounded.
Poly vs conventional:

1200px-Polygonal_vs_normal_rifling.svg.png

Wikipedia ;)

Start with plinking ammo to figure out what groups best - then go buy match ammo.

About the best advice right there. Find what works for you, and your firearm. Even that might change over time.

Personally, I've had the best luck with Eley branded rounds. But when I shoot competitively, it's almost always been smallbore/pellet.

As far as buying locally, I found my choices rather limited, and over-priced. Some places still think .22LR is rare or something. :)

Good luck in your pursuits! Perhaps come back and tell us what you decided on.

If you want reasonably priced match ammo, try some PPU 69 or 75 grain. It is usually less than half the price of Federal Gold Match and uses the same Sierra Match King bullets. Works well in my 1:7 twist barrel.

Hi Joe,

Show up at one of the area's high power matches near the end of the match. You can watch the shooting at 600 prone and then when the match is done chat with the competitors. Many will be more than happy to give you some tips. Highpower service rifle shooters demand and get the most out of an AR platform, more than any other AR user.

Better yet attend the highpower clinics area clubs put on and then shoot the beginners match they usually have the next day. Barry Mogus at Douglas Ridge runs CMP clinics, there are other folks whose name escapes me that run NRA highpower clinics. They are a great way to learn and the matches they sponsor are fun and encourage beginners.

You may end up liking this as much as the rimfire challenges you shot last year.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top