JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As someone who's just getting into precision shooting I've honestly never looked for match ammo locally. No idea what my gun is going to prefer, so I imagine I'll need to try a variety. Is selection pretty good in local gun shops?

Any other recommendations for how to go about this are appreciated :)

Federal gold match has been considered the gold standard for a long time. Hornady match works great in a lot of rifles too.

Have you considered getting into reloading? If you've got match grade rifle and you're getting into "precision" shooting, it's really the best way to get the most out of your experience. You can tailor the load to the rifle and get a lot better accuracy doing it yourself.

Just a suggestion.

Start with plinking ammo to figure out what groups best - then go buy match ammo.

It's a lot cheaper that way;)

Do they sell plinking ammo in the common match grade weight? Everything I have is 55gr :)

Federal gold match has been considered the gold standard for a long time. Hornady match works great in a lot of rifles too.

Have you considered getting into reloading? If you've got match grade rifle and you're getting into "precision" shooting, it's really the best way to get the most out of your experience. You can tailor the load to the rifle and get a lot better accuracy doing it yourself.

Just a suggestion.

I have, and I'm sure I will eventually. Right now I'm taking it one step at a time.

Joe is this for a bolt rifle or your AR? If for your AR then I would follow what Joe13 said. My AR shoots good plinking ammo just about as good as match. When you figure out what it likes then go buy some match and see what she will do. When you get to the match grade ammo if you have a scale weigh them. You would be surprised how much of a difference there is in weight.

When I just did that and grouped them in sets of three my shot groups tightened up a lot.

If its for a precision bolt gun then you can find deals on line at sportsmans or any local gun shop usually. Again weigh them I was shocked at the difference.

Joe is this for a bolt rifle or your AR? If for your AR then I would follow what Joe13 said. My AR shoots good plinking ammo just about as good as match. When you figure out what it likes then go buy some match and see what she will do. When you get to the match grade ammo if you have a scale weigh them. You would be surprised how much of a difference there is in weight.

When I just did that and grouped them in sets of three my shot groups tightened up a lot.

If its for a precision bolt gun then you can find deals on line at sportsmans or any local gun shop usually. Again weigh them I was shocked at the difference.

It's for the AR. I'll see what I can find for plinking ammo first :)

Do they sell plinking ammo in the common match grade weight? Everything I have is 55gr :)

Mine shoots MX855 62gr the best - it's almost half the group size over 55gr.

I think you can find 72gr as well but I've never really looked for it since my groups are good enough with the green tip 62gr ammo.

55gr gives me 5" groups at 100 yards with 30 rounds fired.

62gr gives me 3" groups at 100 yards with 30 rounds fired.

It's an AR so your not going to get rounds stacking in one hole like you will with a good bolt gun like a Tikka etc.

At 300 yards 12" is very doable with anything I've shot and my barrel isn't anything special.

Sportsmans carries some stuff that's supposed to be match grade (loaded with match kings) in 69 & 77 from federal, Norma,& Winchester but I've found that even bulk 55s are as accurate if you find a handload that works well with your barrel harmonics.

If you're just wanting less expensive bulk Ammo, I've always found the Fiocchi 55gr stuff to be extremely accurate in most of my AR15s. Usually sub MOA.

How does it group with your 55 grain?

I really need a more 'controlled' test environment. I was only able to sight it in at 50 yards, and I was shooting from a bag on a wobbly table :s0125:

Groups with Remington UMC 55gr (green/white box) were roughly 2".

Details on the AR?
Factory?
Home build?
Twist rate of the barrel?

Here it is

Mine shoots MX855 62gr the best - it's almost half the group size over 55gr.

I think you can find 72gr as well but I've never really looked for it since my groups are good enough with the green tip 62gr ammo.

55gr gives me 5" groups at 100 yards with 30 rounds fired.

62gr gives me 3" groups at 100 yards with 30 rounds fired.

It's an AR so your not going to get rounds stacking in one hole like you will with a good bolt gun like a Tikka etc.

At 300 yards 12" is very doable with anything I've shot and my barrel isn't anything special.

I've heard of some AR's getting close to that one-hole bolt gun accuracy, and I've always been known to shoot for the moon :s0114:

As mentioned above, I sighted in at 50 yards, then I had the chance to take it out to almost 300 yards. At 300 yards I was able to ring a 12" gong with every shot and a 5" popper a couple of times with the Remington UMC stuff.

I think I really need to find a proper environment to setup paper and see what it can do at 100 yards.

I was able to get out again and do a little more 'research'. At 50 yards I was able to shoot a .4" group twice with Wolf Gold 55gr. Not sure what that means but I'm impressed with this franken-build. Hopefully I can get out to 100 yards next month.

I was able to get out again and do a little more 'research'. At 50 yards I was able to shoot a .4" group twice with Wolf Gold 55gr. Not sure what that means but I'm impressed with this franken-build. Hopefully I can get out to 100 yards next month.
That's great! Curious what it'd do at 100!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top