JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Last year while prairie dog hunting in Montana, I visited a Scheels store in Great Falls and tried to buy a 17hmr rifle. They went through OSP and after 12 hours of waiting, I had to let the purchase expire. Given your experience and mine, it is likely that it is up to the store how they perform the check.
The phrase "Your mileage may vary" comes to mind.
Interesting that is the first time I have heard of an out of State FFL using OSP to run the check.

My guess would be yes. The language seems to apply to "purchases in OR" and not "oregonians must..."

The question then becomes can a non-resident obtain a purchase permit? I'm gonna guess that's a big fat "no". ;)
I believe you are right that a non-resident will not be able to get a permit to purchase unless an LE agency in their State can issue one.

Last Edited:
"Oregonians cannot go out of state to purchase firearms either. We're basically being held hostage by 114 because firearms dealers have to respect the laws of a person's home state."

"Oregonians cannot go out of state to purchase firearms either. We're basically being held hostage by 114 because firearms dealers have to respect the laws of a person's home state."

I have personally bought long guns from WA FFLs and they did not respect Oregon law?

I have personally bought long guns from WA FFLs and they did not respect Oregon law?
I have also bought semi-auto long guns in Washington before the Assault Weapon law required a class and a waiting period. However, our BiMart won't sell semi-auto long guns to people visiting from California or Washington. I suspect that stores in other states will treat Oregonians who are visiting the same way.

You bought at a time OR law did not have some restriction on you buying the gun at that time I would have to guess. This is all new so now everyone gets to find out how much fun it will be. If you showed the WA FFL ID showing you were a resident of OR, the FFL "should" have made sure they were following the current laws of OR. Have to "guess" at that time the gun you bought it was OK for you to buy and own in OR so all was fine.

Called two places in Vancouver. Can't buy a stripped lower bc it might wind up a pistol. Can't buy a complete rifle lower, bc it's considered a semi-automatic rifle under WA law and I'm from out-of-state. I can buy shotguns, lever action and bolt action rifles. Limitless suggested they could ship me 80% products, FWIW.

You bought at a time OR law did not have some restriction on you buying the gun at that time I would have to guess. This is all new so now everyone gets to find out how much fun it will be. If you showed the WA FFL ID showing you were a resident of OR, the FFL "should" have made sure they were following the current laws of OR. Have to "guess" at that time the gun you bought it was OK for you to buy and own in OR so all was fine.

Some States have laws that conflict with each other. I am guessing that is why they ran the background checks directly through NICS instead of OSP.

Called two places in Vancouver. Can't buy a stripped lower bc it might wind up a pistol. Can't buy a complete rifle lower, bc it's considered a semi-automatic rifle under WA law and I'm from out-of-state. I can buy shotguns, lever action and bolt action rifles. Limitless suggested they could ship me 80% products, FWIW.
Does limitless sell 80% products in store?

Some States have laws that conflict with each other. I am guessing that is why they ran the background checks directly through NICS instead of OSP.
Now the part about where the check is run is one another FFL would have to chime in on. Is there some OR law that to buy a long gun the buyer has to be run through them?? Not just through the NIC's? If there is then yes, the FFL did screw up BIG time if they did not do this. These damn laws are such a mess now I do fell for FFL's who accept sales from another state. It must be a lot to try to keep track of to make sure they are not accidentally doing something to leave themselves open to some other states AG making thing miserable for them.

I bought the last stripped lower in stock at a LGS yesterday. I don't have a carry license and was told I'm 19,000 in line, so I can expect to be able to grab it once I get a permit to purchase. I was given a choice and opted to buy anyway.

No. They knew I was in Oregon and were careful to say we ship from here. I don't pay any attention to WA since it's class and waiting period law went into effect, but I think they're illegal to sell to WA residents.
Sadly yes. The way the laws and rules on 80% were written here is like so many of these laws and rules, look like little kids did it. Bottom line though is still the same. Most if not all are now afraid to ship them to WA state. I do not blame them one bit. The AG here has a pile of tax payer money and if he on a whim decided to go after someone they have to pay for their own defense. They may well win but, they still have to lay out for lawyers vs a state AG who could care less how much money he wastes. :(

There is always a caveat. My example is having a residence in another state along with a state issued id.
No it isn't for everybody, just an example of a path.

Some states will allow you to hold a state issued ID even if you have a drivers license from another state.
You aren't allowed to have two drivers licenses. Not all State IDs will qualify as "Real IDs" for travel either.

I figure if I'm paying property tax somewhere, I want an ID as well for the trouble and expense.
A state issued CHL along with a state issued ID makes things even smoother.

I have also bought semi-auto long guns in Washington before the Assault Weapon law required a class and a waiting period. However, our BiMart won't sell semi-auto long guns to people visiting from California or Washington. I suspect that stores in other states will treat Oregonians who are visiting the same way.
I went to the Vancouver Bi-Mart last week (I'm an OR resident) to try to buy a 22lr rifle, and they said it's store policy that they won't sell to Oregon residents, period. I get I can't buy the Winchester Wildcat super scary semi-auto assault rifle I wanted to get 🙄, but they said they wouldn't even sell me a bolt action long gun. This was a surprise to me. Anyone else heard this from Bi-Mart?

I went to the Vancouver Bi-Mart last week (I'm an OR resident) to try to buy a 22lr rifle, and they said it's store policy that they won't sell to Oregon residents, period. I get I can't buy the Winchester Wildcat super scary semi-auto assault rifle I wanted to get 🙄, but they said they wouldn't even sell me a bolt action long gun. This was a surprise to me. Anyone else heard this from Bi-Mart?
Sadly I "suspect" this is new. Voters in OR decided to make a HUGE legal mess. So now many places are going to take a hands off approach till this all shakes out. I sure do not blame them.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top