JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't know how aware people are with the UL listing on safes, but even an expensive UL listed TL-15 safe only provides 15 minutes worth of protection, according to Underwriters Labs & most folks won't spend that much on a safe. I have 5 safes & none of them is even equal to the TL-15 I mentioned.

Gun Safes-- The difference between RSC's (residential security containers) & Safes Gun Safes: The difference between "Safes" and "RSC's"

Last Edited:
I don't know how aware people are with the UL listing on safes, but even an expensive UL listed TL-15 safe only provides 15 minutes worth of protection, according to Underwriters Labs & most folks won't spend that much on a safe. I have 5 safes & none of them is even equal to the TL-15 I mentioned.

Gun Safes-- The difference between RSC's (residential security containers) & Safes Gun Safes: The difference between "Safes" and "RSC's"

Probably one of the best if not best quick down and dirty on a rsc vs safe I've seen yet.

My safes have a master-key, named "cracker"
In case I forget :D

Regarding longevity in a fire, layer several layers of 5/8" green-board on the exterior.
Keep the cu/ft on the inside as dimensional as can be.
You can't get any better than that.

Five layers of 5/8" rock, bring it!!

Last Edited:
Depends on your eye sight. I have had electronic even before my eye started going bad and have had no problems yet. 15 year old electronic lock.

I have a mechanical for reliability and security reasons.( personal opinion) You get used to opening it pretty quick after a while. But I do know that the average kid or theif even if he's given my combo he will have a fun time figuring out to open it. In hope that delay can be to my benefit. But if it's electronic. Type it in and done.. i also have key that locks the dial from turning so you can't open safe at all. (Liberty Safe) I like it. I'd buy another. Interested in Fort Knox too for next one

Instead of talking about the benefits of mechanical or electronic combo locks why not just get both? Redundant combo lock

I would opt for the dial, especially if it is a quality one - IMO worth the extra $$$

If you need to access a gun real fast, then get an additional locking setup external to the safe.

If you look at my microwave, you can tell which buttons I press every day.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top