JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I thought I had it all figured out. The digital keypad was great. It was quick, so I could easily re-lock the safe between uses and reopen it in a matter of seconds.

After a year, one of the numbers started fighting me, and I'd have to apply more and more pressure to get the keypad to react to the number I was pressing. Finally, the keypad became so cumbersome I removed the keypad and went back to using the key to unlock the safe.

I ordered a new keypad, and it took two months before I received it.

So, yes, I prefer a digital keypad, but be aware, it is electronic, and when it decides to take a dump, you are at the mercy of the company that supplies the electronic locks to the safe companies. I discovered also, when models change, and when lock designs change, there's little inventory of replacement electronic lock devices. In my case, the keypad was available, but none of the mounting brackets or hardware was available. Fortunately for me, the keypad was all I needed. But if other components of the electronic lock had failed, parts were not available.

This all said, if I needed another safe in the near future, I would still buy the electronic lock model, and take my chances, as it is far easier and much more convenient.

Last Edited:
For the aid of light.

Safe companies have dial lights, as an added feature/expense.
Liberty I think was the first to introduce them.
41jAAZZI1yL._SX466_.jpg
I found an alternative that does the equivalent for cheaper, and can be recharged via micro usb.
I paid $11 each for the Nitecore "Tube". I attached a small earth magnet to the door above the dial.
They work nicely. They can be used for looking inside the safe as well.

nitecore-tube-review-2.jpg

For the aid of light.

Safe companies have dial lights, as an added feature/expense.
Liberty I think was the first to introduce them.
View attachment 562685
I found an alternative that does the equivalent for cheaper, and can be recharged via micro usb.
I paid $11 each for the Nitecore "Tube". I attached a small earth magnet to the door above the dial.
They work nicely. They can be used for looking inside the safe as well.

View attachment 562686
I like it.

OK, so I've decided to get a another Liberty safe as I have a dealer withing 10 miles of my house, they deliver and they have great local support.

I have one each Mechanical & Dial safes currently, the bigger Mechanical safe is in my Shop with most of my weapons, the smaller dial safe is in the Master closet for quick access to my most often used guns. I like both but for some reason need a little nudge as to what direction to go with on this one...Thoughts?

Mechanical if it isn't a quick access safe - even then my quick access safes are mechanical.

Life long professional electrical troubleshooter and one thing is fact.

It's not if it will fail, it's when - kinda like motorcycle accidents.

Yea, there is a very small percentage that avoids the rule but very few given enough time.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top